Kitchen floor

My kitchen has old laminex and I am going to replace the laminex.

I wonder if I should tile, laminex or polishing the timber? Which option is save cost and more preferable?

Thanks

When you say 'laminex', do you mean lino? Laminex is what goes on benchtops.
If you're ripping up an old vinyl/lino floor, the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to replace it with vinyl/lino.
I personally don't like timber flooring or tiles in a kitchen - too hard to sweep.
Scott

Sorry, I am talking about kitchen floor. And I used a wrong word Laminex instead of vinyl floor. Vinyl to glue in the kitchen floor.

Depends

How good are the floorboards? If you hire a sander yourself (if your handy like that) it might only cost a couple hundred to polish them up.

Amanda

Last edited by a moderator:
My existing kitchen floor is timerboard with vinyl on the surface. Can I peel out the vinyl and then tile the the floor? I wonder if the tiles will be too heavy causing break the timerboard?

I wonder if the tiles will be too heavy causing break the timerboard?
No, the tiles won't be too heavy.

As you siad originally, you can polish the timber floor boards if they are in good enough condition.
You can lay new vinyl planks or ordinary vinyl or you can tile.

All are easy to clean but I find with tiles if you drop something breakable like glass or ceramic items, there are mostly no second chances - it normally breaks. You can get some second chances with vinyl or timber.

floor

Hi Evisional;

Good decision to polish the kitchen floor, I'm in progress of renovation an IP.
The kitchen floor has three layers of vinyl, the last layer was quite a bit hard to take out as it was glued down to the timer floor boards.
After removed the glue (by scrapping and a heat gun) and has the whole house sanded and polished, it looks so good.

Remember to remove the glue by scrapping them off with a heat gun, otherwise the glue will sticks to the sanding machine when you're sanding.

Get the professional to do the sanding and polishing if it is your first time, the cost is not that much, they normally charge $20 to $22 per square metre for cash and the result will be much better.

Good luck

Regards Tri

I'd still be putting down more viinyl. Quicker and probably cheaper.

Be careful everybody when ripping up old lino - the backing usually has asbestos in it.

Hi there, for asthetics the natural wood finish comes up best.
However that also depends on whether the boards are in good
condition without large gaps between them.

Also as long as there is no bounce when walking on the boards, then
you should be ok to tile over the top.

All three options also can damage easily but an exception with tiles is
that they can be replaced individually.

Floor boards when damaged can either be puttied or if there are small holes, the board can be swollen with water and sanded back close to smooth.

Lastly, tiles will raise the height of the kitchen floor to the rest of the house
and that can mean tripping up or just not looking fantastic.

Best of luck.
Sean

A rental i rented they sanded back and had timber boards. The boards are beautiful and with a honey wood colour. However there are gaps and in certain spots could see light. So they obviously never thought of that. The floor is always cold. It needs underfloor insulation. Maybe some e therm stapled underneath.

Back