Kitchen Fun

Howdy

So got a quote back for a replacement Kitchen.
$8500 installed, with no appliances.
Works out to be about 5.5k minus labour and disposal.
So this is going to be out of budget.
Was thinking about replacing benchtop and painting cupboards myself.
Now I like to consider myself handy, but have 0 experience with good finish on painting( always outsourced this)
Anyone else done something similar and ended up with a good result?
I'd also like to save some money and Paint all the internal walls, painter quoted 2500 - 3000.
Hopefully this will save money for carpeting/tiling( which I'm not 100% game to try)

Cheers

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    724.7 KB · Views: 126
What's your budget? I have never tried painting laminate before but have installed a kitchen myself using carcass cupboards from masters and then the panels *ordered direct from manufacturing company (*my husband was an employee at the time and got 50% discount but they still do direct to the public sales).

If I don't include the staff discount the kitchen cost (including appliances) under $6k for everything and the work we did ourselves in under a week.

419480_10150674767109210_1968049053_n.jpg 424931_10150674814334210_1783073679_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Looks good, just have concerns around sizing as it needs to fit into the specific space.
I've run a number of the build it yourself kitchen designs and always seem to be out, which makes me nervous.
Interesting that you went with the all in one cooker, was this to save on cabinet cost?

Kaboodle through Bunnings can be cheap if you stick to basics.
IKEA some of the cheaper units.
Assemble all cabinets and pay a tradie for the install....Be labourer. Will be squared up and flat. No wine glasses sliding off edge :(

Don't paint laminate. Its like painting your car with a roller.

Used to be some auctioneers that would sell packaged kitchens like a wholesaler...Lawsons in Syd went bust so no point mentioning....Meh just did. Check local auctions see if one near you does this ? Try Grays Online - They seem to sell everything else.

Friend bought a used kitchen that seriously looked like new. I recall he had to do new benchtop only. Cost him next to nothing. I do recall took him a while to find one though.

Handy tip for repaint of an IP...Wagner spray gun. Spend your time masking with good tape and plastic then go to town using a full mask. Three coats usually enough...Its thinned with water and a light coat so don't do two coats !!

You don't say the condition of the doors , If in good condition put a new top
on and some new stainless steel handles , then if the colour still looks crapy
maybe a respray.

Yeah, painting laminate often ends in tears.
Maybe new benchtops and new handles will do the trick? Are the cupboard doors still in reasonable condition?

Wow Looks good, just have concerns around sizing as it needs to fit into the specific space.
I've run a number of the build it yourself kitchen designs and always seem to be out, which makes me nervous. Out? How so?
Interesting that you went with the all in one cooker, was this to save on cabinet cost?

Cheers. I had similar sizing issues but was able to organise the cabinets to suit which ended up in installing a 150mm wide cupboard to make it work.

Re the cooker - a few reasons, cabinet costs being one, the cost of the unit itself and ease/cost of installation. The property is in a low-ish demographic area so didn't want to invest too much into the reno.

It doesn't look like you have any restrictions in that kitchen Zimby. You might loose a little with the cupboard sizing with the door/architraves.

A bit of careful selection of the units and all should work out well. Custom units vs std units will be more expensive.

Wow, tonnes of advice, thanks.
Still tossing up kitchen reno, or add another room/ensuite( more costly and wont be able to recarpet/tile etc)
Meeting with selling agent and managing agent at Site tomorrow, so will get their feedback on what the market would pay more for :)
I'll do up a reno Thread once I've finish deliberating and Solicitor has organised early access :)

Personally for an IP if in good nick I wouldn't bother, looks fine to me. Perhaps replace the handles and repaint the wall and tiles. If they're not, that's a whole new ballgame.

Back