Kitchen Reno help....

Renovating for the first time and on a limited budget (Staying in this house for only another 2-3 years and moving on so dont want to spend a fortune).

These are the current cabinets:

http://i42.tinypic.com/of24k5.jpg

Pretty old and outdated -What can I do about these? Sand and paint a light colour? Or get the whole thing changed? How much does this changing deal cost (rough estimate is fine since I have no clue where to start looking)

What colors can I go with? Sorry to ask a silly question like that but I am hopeless with colors.

(Rob, pretty similar to the pics from your article in that Property Magazine(great article BTW) so look forward to your response as well :) )

Secondly, whereabouts in Melbourne is a good place to buy good cheap kitchen gear? Considering I am after functionality and not designer stuff wouldnt mind factory seconds etc. A friend suggested auctions but wasnt sure where they happen!

Also, current cooktop is Electric and considering changing to gas etc. How much does it roughly cost to get a gas cooktop and new rangehood fitted? Rough figures are fine since I am completely new to this.

If we go about fitting rangehood etc is it worth fitting new benchtop as well or the costs are not connected to each other? Or its not a big difference between the two.

Thanks for any help or feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_7123-1.jpg
    IMG_7123-1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 99
Hi Melbournee,

Fowles and Grays both have kitchen auctions. It is worth while having a look.

Having said that, we get cabinetry made for our renos at about the same cost and when you buy the kitchen at an auction, someone still has to install it.

Another benefit of purchasing the cabinets at auction is that they mostly come with benchtops.

The most popular color for cabinets is white in gloss.

The cost of the cooktop/oven change is really going to depend on whether you already have a gas connection at the property and how far it has to be connected from to the kitchen. If you are getting new appliances, have a look for builders pack (oven, cooktop & rangehood) for cost effectivness.

Wishing you every success, Ana

The pics in the mag are of a new kitchen. My first full kitchen reno. The cost was $3,300 for 2 pack cupboards and black granite benchtops, inc. installation.
In another similar property, I've kept the cupboards and just just replaced the benchtops ($600) and replaced the old handles with some modern looking brushed chrome ones from Bunnings. The whole transformation was quite good, for mininal cost.
I'm not a huge fan of the laminate paint. It looks like, well, painted laminate. Not my style.
Is the current stove a cooktop with sep oven or upright combo unit?
Is there gas at the property already? If not, it can be expensive to get gas connected.
Thanks for the feedback, too!

Hi Melbournee,

I recently finished my first IP reno, bought a simple kitchen from an ebay auction for $400. L shaped, laminated finish, bull nosed bench. Came with S/Steel appliances, sink and mixer tap. Needed cutting back by 500mm on one side.

This approach is useful if the kitchen space doesn't require a kitchen of exact measurements. U shaped would be more difficult, although in some spaces you could add a wall to incorporate a U.

Regarding gas cooktop, is the oven gas, or is there gas close by? If not the cost of having a gas connection installed might be a problem.

I don't think I'd be changing electric hotplates over to gas in an IP unless perhaps it was a really high end property. For the money it will cost you could put that into the kitchen.
Grey's auctions I find tend to be good for buying really large kitchens (though haven't been there for a year or two). You also have to have some luck to find the right fit & configuration. I am a fan of Ikea kitchens. Especially if your kitchen is quite small, you can put in a brand new Ikea kitchen for under $2000 + get a 25 year warranty.
Cheaper still would be to update your existing cabinets with some modern squared off chrome handles. The wood looks pretty dark but dark wood is being used in new kitchens so it's no so outdated. No need to paint them. Replace the benchtops with new white ones, add new appliances and you'll be surprised how good your old cabinets can look. I'm not sure why you asked about the benchtops in connection with the rangehood. They're aren't connected except that if you put 1 new thing in you tend to notice all the old things.
It may be helpful if you posted more pics of the actual kitchen & perhaps what kind of budget you're working with.

Hi Fernfurn, we are actually a renovation company so I can organise for one of my guys to come out and give you a quote. Please give me a call at the office on 03 9005 7992 or email me on [email protected] and I can organise that for you.

Wishing you every success, Ana

Thanks to all for all the help so far.

Inside the cubboards the shelves are covered in this wallpaper. what can be done about that?

The current stove is a single upright combo unit.

The house does have a gas connection - in fact just outside the kitchen is a gas hot water heater so shouldnt be too bad to connect. What sort of connection fees am I looking at? would I need a plasterer?

Melbournee, the "wallpaper" in the cupboards is most likely Contact adhesive paper. I'm sure you can still get it somewhere. Buy a gloss white version & stick it over the top if you can.
The gas connection doesn't sound like a big deal then. You shouldn't need a plasterer - just a plumber. Get a couple from the local paper to come around & quote. I don't know how much it will cost but probably a few hundred dollars. They will probably need to come and rough in the gas line to where you want it & then come back when the new stove is in to connect it.

The house does have a gas connection - in fact just outside the kitchen is a gas hot water heater so shouldnt be too bad to connect. What sort of connection fees am I looking at? would I need a plasterer?

Don't know about a plasterer but sure as hell you will need a plumber:D

I re-did my kitchen recently, I bought the cabinets and benchtop from IKEA they have some free software on the site that helps you select the pieces depending on the finish you are after the cost will vary. I checked around and they seemed to have the best total price. I looked at Bunnings, Mitre 10 a couple of ones that advertise on ebay and the IKEA one was much nicer and cheaper. the staff were fantastic. I dont like granite benchtops so went for wood but if it was for a rental i would just get laminex

Thanks all.

Gas burner is a must coz we plan to stay here for 2-4 years and the wife does a lot of cooking -otherwise my electricity bills are gonna be through the roof during those years. :eek: These old electric things seem very inefficient- takes ages to heat up and then stay red hot for a while after you turn them off.

Checked with a plumber and he will need to bring another pipe along the wall (or through it) coz the existing one to the water heater just outside the kitchen is a thin one. He quoted $700-750 for putting the new gas unit + piping.

Went to Ikea and imonmyway was spot on -they have some really cheap options - kitchens from $600-700. The $1000 one looked ok I guess.

If someone has managed to do it -how much work is it to put these on? Roughly how much would a carpenter charge? Or maybe I can get a handyman coz being IKEA it cant be that hard? Thoughts/Ideas most welcome :)

If someone has managed to do it -how much work is it to put these on? Roughly how much would a carpenter charge? Or maybe I can get a handyman coz being IKEA it cant be that hard? Thoughts/Ideas most welcome :)

No idea how much someone would charge, but if you can use a drill, screwdriver, allen key, etc you can put a kitchen together.

It helps if you can measure and count as well.

And if you have another person to assist.

Cheers
Graeme

Back