Kitchen - White Knight Laminate Paint

Hi all,

First time renovator here and the house is overall in pretty good condition so the majority of renovations at the moment will primarily be cosmetic but will hopefully also increase the overall rental yield down the track.

I really don't like the colour of the kitchen and the clash between the cupboards and the tiles. Bringing up the tiles would be a huge job and would still be not overly happy with the cupboards so looking to update the cupboards using White Knight Laminate Paint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_nfB27o3WQ) Has anyone had any experience using this or tips/recommendations (including don't use it!!):D

Now, what I'm not sure of is the colour I should be using. We've recently put in the blinds which are white as is the tile splashback and walls. I'm concerned if we do the cupboards white as well it will be overly white and hospital like.

I quite like the black as per the white knight youtube video but was really looking at getting an opinion on what others think?

Would also love to know people's thoughts on how to fit a dishwasher in?

I'll also post up a couple of photos of the other things we've done to date which includes:
- Polished floorboards and ripped up carpet in main bedroom
- Changed all curtains to venetian and block out blinds
- Side gate and gate added onto deck to keep the young bloke in!

Here's what we've done to the bathroom as i know everyone like before and after photo's.

New Blinds (throughout the whole house)
New tapware for sink, bath and shower - $160
New Showerscreen to replace old curtain and rail $249

Before

After

I would leave the cupboards, get some nice blinds for the window

Anyway if you do use the laminate paint then use a air spray gun to apply it otherwise it will probably de value your house!

I don't think you have much to gain by painting the doors and a lot more to lose

If you changed the white stove to stainless steel and used stainless steel trims to give it a 'built in' look, and you could also change the cupboard handles to a straight stainless steel , modern handle. The stove looks perfectly good though! But then so does the kitchen.... :)

I think black is a risk. But it may look great.

It is in good condition. Will it make a difference to renting? If not I'd just leave it.

I have painted doors before but it was an older kitchen. I took the doors off, painted with primer then used a gloss paint. Make sure you use the little roller. It comes up great. Then I changed the handles. I was really happy with the result and saves changing the kitchen for at least another 5 years.

Tenants wont care if the cupboards clash a bit with the tile colour, give it a quick tart up and rent that sucker out

I would leave it if rented out soon but if you want it nice for yourself for a while longer, consider using very large glassy black floor tiles as a splash back and black bunnings bench tops . This looks great against the wood and pretty cheap option. I understand you don't like the timber look, nor do I but it would be a disaster if you painted it and it wore off, not the best idea for a rental property. I posted a photo of kitchen Reno in adding value a while ago using the ideas I mentioned above, it looks fabulous. Sorry I tried to cut and paste link to here but couldn't do so, not sure if it is because I am using iPad. Check out my album (Investment propery 7. ) You will find photos there.

Last edited:
I would leave the cupboards, get some nice blinds for the window

Anyway if you do use the laminate paint then use a air spray gun to apply it otherwise it will probably de value your house!

I don't think you have much to gain by painting the doors and a lot more to lose

New Blinds are in the first and second picture, the 3rd one was the initial blinds which were nearly ceased open! This has modernized it a fair bit but I was looking for something a bit more. I know it's whether a $ spent will increase the rental yield and it's the tough decision of removing emotional attachment whilst we a living in it.

I think black is a risk. But it may look great.

It is in good condition. Will it make a difference to renting? If not I'd just leave it.

I have painted doors before but it was an older kitchen. I took the doors off, painted with primer then used a gloss paint. Make sure you use the little roller. It comes up great. Then I changed the handles. I was really happy with the result and saves changing the kitchen for at least another 5 years.

Yeah, some of the one's I've seen done online really freshen a kitchen up but it's whether it will leave them more susceptible to scratches etc down the track as it's never going to be a wearing as the original laminate.

Wow, they've certainly started cramming houses , units and easments in around that address ;)

Yeah, majority of blocks in the street have been split now, not the worst look though, every second house is brand new as a result and people have been going for large PPOR's as opposed to smaller properties with a view to renting. Couple of properties have gone for mid 600's which I think may be a little over capitalized given the area.

I would leave it if rented out soon but if you want it nice for yourself for a while longer, consider using very large glassy black floor tiles as a splash back and black bunnings bench tops . This looks great against the wood and pretty cheap option. I understand you don't like the timber look, nor do I but it would be a disaster if you painted it and it wore off, not the best idea for a rental property. I posted a photo of kitchen Reno in adding value a while ago using the ideas I mentioned above, it looks fabulous. Sorry I tried to cut and paste link to here but couldn't do so, not sure if it is because I am using iPad. Check out my album (Investment propery 7. ) You will find photos there.

Great - thanks for the advice, had a look and it does look great.

Thanks for all the feedback - any configuration changes in order to fit a dishwasher and does a dishwasher improve the rental yield of a property?

Back