Kony

Oh I didn't mean to jump down anyones throat, but I must say that I am getting just a tad irritated at people not understanding the implications of throwing their support behind such things as the cold blooded killing of other human beings by decree rather than by law. That kind of thinking gave us lovely stuff like the Afghan/Iraqi war, the drone bombing of Pakistan, civil war in Libya and Syria, and is leading up to a wider war with Iran.

Personally I think that most western leaders are complicit, and many indictable, for war crimes and crimes against humanity, and were enabled by an apathetic or easily led public. George W Bush and his gang should be before the Hague and likely end their days in a small cell or at the end of a rope for what they've done.

I very much disagree that "we" "need" "covert death squads".

First, who is "we"? A bunch of people who didn't know about the issue a week ago? A bunch of facebook kids, safe in their homes, fired up and emotional about a youtube video showing stark injustice interposed on a background of arguably worse injustice conducted by their own government, as well as many other brutal regimes presently operating and endorsed by their government? Don't include me in this "we" business.

Second, why the sudden "need"? What, we didn't need it last week and now all of a sudden need it today?

Lastly, supporting the sanctioning of "covert death squads" sent to assassinate any individual on the planet arbitrarily, based on political whims, without due process in a court, is a filthy way to run a society.

You wanna go capture the guy and try him for his crimes according to the law of the land, or internationally at the Hague? Cool. You wanna support, politically or economically, the imposition of law against what I perceive to be a pretty shady character? Cool. You wanna use language like "it would be appropriate" or "it may be beneficial" rather than "need", then again, cool.

But this emotional "we need to go killing people in foreign places because we think they're bad guys even though our own governments are complicit in worse because I saw a video on youtube" NOT COOL NOT COOL NOT COOL.

Nah; "need" is a great word.

We haven't just needed to do it recently; Idi Amin, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Hussein and so on.

There's too much "please don't do this" and "you shouldn't do that" applied to the "n'er do wells" of the world.

It's interesting to read some of the backlash. A lot of it (not all) can be summed up as either,
a) I knew about this before you did, or
b) I'm smarter than you, or
c) It's way to complicated for the Twitter / Facebook generation.

Some of the articles have been heavily loaded with condescension. It seems to me that some of the authors, in the way they have penned their responses, are jealous of the level of coverage this movement has received.

most western leaders are complicit, and many indictable, for war crimes and crimes against humanity, and were enabled by an apathetic or easily led public. George W Bush and his gang should be before the Hague and likely end their days in a small cell or at the end of a rope for what they've done.

According to the United Nations, the invasion of Iraq violated International Law, making it an act of terrorism and the 'Coalition of The Willing' the largest terrorist organisation in history. With two countries utterly decimated (to be fair, the sanctions against Iraq did most of the work there), Afghanistan now in the hands of warlords that are no less extreme than the Taliban and now with Iran and African commodities in it's sites, Obama has picked up where his buddy George W. 'I'm on a mission from God' Bush left off.

Time for change indeed, eh Barack? Or was that Obama-speak for 'business as usual'?

According to the United Nations, the invasion of Iraq violated International Law, making it an act of terrorism and the 'Coalition of The Willing' the largest terrorist organisation in history. With two countries utterly decimated (to be fair, the sanctions against Iraq did most of the work there), Afghanistan now in the hands of warlords that are no less extreme than the Taliban and now with Iran and African commodities in it's sites, Obama has picked up where his buddy George W. 'I'm on a mission from God' Bush left off.

Time for change indeed, eh Barack? Or was that Obama-speak for 'business as usual'?

Your definition of a terrorist organisation is blurred.

If you don't think Iran is a threat, because you are geographically dislocated from the region, go and live in and around the area. I have lived in and around that area and the threat is real, and that was with conventional weapons. An Iran with non-conventional weapons is an extremely scary thought.

Getting back onto Kony I think my mates facebook status says it all:

"Righto people, Ive had about enough of your invites and uneducated exurberance; Joseph Kony is not in Uganda and hasn't been for 6 years; the LRA now numbers at most in the hundreds, and while it is still causing immense suffering, it is unclear how millions of well-meaning but misinformed people are going to help deal with the more complicated reality."

Your definition of a terrorist organisation is blurred.
pot. kettle. black.

If you don't think Iran is a threat, because you are geographically dislocated from the region, go and live in and around the area. I have lived in and around that area and the threat is real, and that was with conventional weapons.
Really? Did you live in Palestine for any of that? Or perhaps Lebanon, during, say, operation cast lead? How about Syria? Iraq perhaps? No wait, Afghanistan. I mean, these are the places where thousands of people die every month at the hands of a foreign agressor, and are probably pretty scary places.

Except for one thing - the foreign aggressor in those places where people have actually died, and continue to die even now, is not Iran.

I mean, really, I find the whole idea of thinking that Iran is scary because it "might" do something, "maybe", "if" they get weapons, is a bit stupid when other countries are actually splattering people left and right right now.

An Iran with non-conventional weapons is an extremely scary thought.
If I were living in the region, an Israel or US with regular conventional weapons would be more than scary enough. Of course, we don't have televisions blaring that those countries are terrorists day and night, and so weak minded people tend to forget about that.

Watched the full video.

I'm going to look back on Dec 31st when this campaign is slated to finish, and see what effect it has really had.

Looking at the LRA organisation chart, removing Kony will just be a superb career opportunity for the hundreds below him, desparate to move one notch up the food chain.

....and so help me God, if any little 1st world mongrel / mummy's angel, on the night earmarked to plaster the world with posters - Friday the 20th of April - even looks at vandalising my shopping centre with that ****, I'll be waiting for them.

See....no matter how remote or how vague, one can always pick up some useful info. Couple of hours of vigilance at the right time will save my family many thousands of dollars and back breaking hours removing all of the ****.

Thank you Mr Internet !!!! :)

pot. kettle. black.

Really? Did you live in Palestine for any of that? Or perhaps Lebanon, during, say, operation cast lead? How about Syria? Iraq perhaps? No wait, Afghanistan. I mean, these are the places where thousands of people die every month at the hands of a foreign agressor, and are probably pretty scary places.

Except for one thing - the foreign aggressor in those places where people have actually died, and continue to die even now, is not Iran.

I mean, really, I find the whole idea of thinking that Iran is scary because it "might" do something, "maybe", "if" they get weapons, is a bit stupid when other countries are actually splattering people left and right right now.

If I were living in the region, an Israel or US with regular conventional weapons would be more than scary enough. Of course, we don't have televisions blaring that those countries are terrorists day and night, and so weak minded people tend to forget about that.

Iraq, Afghanistan, UAE and Qatar in fact. Hopefully Lebanon next year.

Have you lived there and know what those people think?

I believe I may have the upper hand in the conversation, if the answer is No.

In regards to your fourth paragraph could you please tell me about World War 2 and whether appeasement worked?

Last edited:

In regards to your fourth paragraph could you please tell me about World War 2 and whether appeasement worked?

And a whole heap of us think hopefully not...

Kony= American propaganda .

They've caught bin laden now they need someone else to kill

yeah im starting to lead to that conclusion myself.

It appears that the US machine has changed track after Bush, and is now onto popular culture... a groovy new president and now social media movements.

The agenda hasn’t changed tho.

yeah im starting to lead to that conclusion myself.

It appears that the US machine has changed track after Bush, and is now onto popular culture... a groovy new president and now social media movements.

The agenda hasn’t changed tho.

Reminds me of (have I said this before), what someone a bit older said to me when Mr Obama got5 voted - America hadn't felt a need to changed agenda for 60 yrs since WWII.... what is so pressing to make them change now...

What? You hope for further war and invasion? Are you that hateful, that you "hope" that a sovereign nation is invaded, with all the death and suffering that accompanies it? Newsflash: the people who live in those nations, who are killed, dispossessed and traumatized, are as innocent and human as you or I. Hoping for such a thing demonstrates, at the very least, callous inhumanity, and at worst, psychopathy. What a terrible thing to say. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Given that you just advocated further war, it seems to me that your lack of basic human compassion and common sense understanding that war is never a good thing has given you a decidedly much lower hand in this conversation.

What does that have to do with anything? Why are you trying to distract and divert the issue? What are you trying to say, exactly - that because something that you call "appeasement" didn't work, that foreign aggressor nations have some sort of right to invade other countries and kill innocent people?

Try that stunt on someone else, Roachy. I'm not so easily baffled.

I'm not advocating war. You asked if I had lived in those countries. And I am stating yes, I have lived in Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar and UAE. I understand that those countires people do not have faith in Persia at this point in time. Especially its nuclear ambitions. These countries do not want a Persia/Iran with nuclear armament.

I will most likely living in Lebanon next year as part of the UN mission set up to provide peace to the two nations in Lebanon and Israel.

And yes I am stating appeasement didnt work and that if the power shown by some nations during that time came to forefront, you may have had a different situation that WW2.

I'm not advocating war.
Yes you are. Remember that bit where you said "hopefully Lebanon"? You know the first word "hopefully"? That's advocating war.

I suggest you learn about this internet thing, where the things you said are up there for people to re read. It makes it a lot harder to lie about what you did and did not say.

You asked if I had lived in those countries.
And I am stating yes, I have lived in Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar and UAE.
Listen. I know this is difficult for you to understand, but I would really like to point out that you "living" in those countries as a UN contractor is different to "living" in those countries as a citizen of your ancestral homeland.

You see, you didn't "live" in those countries. You "visited" those countries. And if you work for the UN, you visited those countries with a pocket full of money and a lot of security around you keeping you safe.

See the difference? It isn't subtle.

I understand that those countires people do not have faith in Persia at this point in time.
No, some of those people do not have faith in Persia. Some of those people do. You, as a UN contractor, have this little thing called "bias". This bias comes from the people who are around you, and also, what regular people are and are not willing to say to you.

In other words, Mr UN "hopefully war with Lebanon" Visitor Guy, you do not get to speak for the population of entire countries.

Especially its nuclear ambitions. These countries do not want a Persia/Iran with nuclear armament.
See the above point above.

In addition, see IAEA report after IAEA report plus those of all US intelligence agencies saying that there is no evidence of an Iranian weapons program.

Then, after that, go back to those countries and ask how they feel about Israel having 300-600 nuclear bombs pointed at them, as well as the nations of Europe, with Israel refusing to sign the non proliferation treaty or allow any IAEA inspectors into their Dimona facility at all, ever.

Told you. I don't baffle easily.

I will most likely living in Lebanon next year as part of the UN mission set up to provide peace to the two nations in Lebanon and Israel.
UN Humanitarian Aid again? Is that going to be Libya style UN aid? The kind of aid where NATO bombs rain on people's heads alongside leaflets saying "we're only here to help you"?

And yes I am stating appeasement didnt work and that if the power shown by some nations during that time came to forefront, you may have had a different situation that WW2.
Well since you're such a history buff, how about you expound upon all of the wars Israel starts with its neighbours, and its nuclear weapons program?

How about you say it straight - that Israel is a nasty little nation that plays victim 24/7 while killing people who didn't bother them. How about you tell everyone what history would be like if Israel actually wanted peace?

Back