Kudos Etiquette

It took me a while to work out what the little green dots were for! Since I have worked it out, I have often wondered... what is the 'polite' thing to do when someone gives you kudos? Do you PM a thankyou or do you kudos in return? I didn't respond in either way to the first couple I was sent, which in hindsight may have been interpreted as indifference (to their compliment)! Hopefully those who sent a kudos to me will now realize that I was suffering kudos ignoramus.

G'day Julie,

The kudos system exists to allow people to "reward" good posts. As such, I would say, don't kudos someone in return unless they have made what you consider to be a worthwhile post.

Now, WHAT constitutes a worthwhile post? Well, for you, I don't know. For me, it's a post that gives value to others (more than most), turns on a light for me, or makes me laugh more than I have for a while (and there are probably more reasons which escape me for now...).

We can't kudos everyone for every post (or we wouldn't have time left to read them all). So, I think, save your kudos for those "special" posts - whichever are special to you.

If you wish, by all means use a PM to say "Thanks" - but, for me, when I give kudos, I certainly don't expect a PM in return. I'm just giving as I see fit, and am not looking for ANYTHING in return.

Others may well see things differently, (as might you), and I'd be interested to read how others see "kudos" as well.

Good question, Julie - I hope you get your answer,

Regards,

Don't worry about it.

Some people respond and say thank you.

Others don't. That's cool.

You don't have to give kudos in return. It's better to give it where you think it's due- and only to rely on "karma" to get it back- if you post something somebody likes, you will get some kudos back.

"kudos ramping" has taken place. But if you wait for what is due to you, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you got just what you earnt, and not what you asked for.

For me...Kudos is like receiving a compliment, and tis only therefore polite to send a PM with a thankyou. I never expect a Kudos in return for Kudos I have given. A thankyou is more than sufficient.

i always send a PM saying thankyou...i think it's only polite, and shows your appreciation that someone has taken out the time to compliment you.

alot of people won't send a PM of thanks, and that's cool too. and alot of people don't even look at their control panel so wouldn't even know that kudo's have been thrown their way.

Whatever you're comfortable with I guess.

hi JFisher
I don't post a pm nor do I kudos much.
I kudos if the post is
A a good post
B if the poster has stood up for what they think is right
and c if the post help some one understand something that as a norm most would not understand.
and people that get my kudos I think understand this.
but thats me

so in the User CP where do you go to find the messages left for you??

I never even knew they existed...

I was waiting for someone else to answer....correct me please if I am wrong.
After you log-in you will see 'Private Messages: Unread ?, Total ?' in the top right hand side of the page. It will be directly under the 'Welcome, davea' in bold. If it is showing a number in the 'unread' then you have a message. Click on the Private Message word and it will take you to your messages.

Hope that helps.

I was waiting for someone else to answer....correct me please if I am wrong.
After you log-in you will see 'Private Messages: Unread ?, Total ?' in the top right hand side of the page. It will be directly under the 'Welcome, davea' in bold. If it is showing a number in the 'unread' then you have a message. Click on the Private Message word and it will take you to your messages.

Hope that helps.

yeah thats the pm part, but when they give u kudos and leave a msg does it come through as a pm?

No, they dont appear in the pm section. I found some kudos messages once by accident, several months after they had been given to me. You have to click on user CP at the top left of the screen to view them.

Oh dear. I had never heard of the kudos thing till now. (It took me a fair while to notice Private Messages). I just clicked on that User CP thing and there are heaps and heaps there. Hope if those people were expectiing a response they don't think I'm too rude.
Scott

yeah thats the pm part, but when they give u kudos and leave a msg does it come through as a pm?

When I click on User CP the first screen shows all the kudos (and the short message that accompanies them) on the opening screen. A PM is sent seperately to kudos.

Untill reading this thread I never thought about sending a Thank You for my kudos.

Whenever I have received them, it always brought me a smile.
Even though I don't know anyone here personally (except AlmostBob) it still matters to me that someone has spent the time to write.

So "Thank You " for my kudos.

Oh dear. I had never heard of the kudos thing till now. (It took me a fair while to notice Private Messages). I just clicked on that User CP thing and there are heaps and heaps there. Hope if those people were expectiing a response they don't think I'm too rude.
Scott

Hi Scott

So that's your excuse. I've been waiting for a thankyou from you for months!! Just kidding. :p

For those that don't know, the kudos page only shows the last 25 kudos, they then disappear. It used to only show the last 10. If you're looking in the right place and there aren't any, you may not have been given any. :eek:

Thanks for this thread still learning about Kudos only discovered mine a few months ago. But I still can't work out how to give Kudos. Can you help please.

Back