Lalor/Epping Vs Broadie/Jacana/Coolaroo

Hello all,

With a budget of under 400K -450K I am looking for a decent piece of land (at least 650 -670sqm) close to public transport (train station hopefully). The plan is to rent for a couple of years and then develop.

How does North (Lalor/Epping/Thomastown) compare with North-West (Broadie/Jacana/Coolaroo)?

Epping has the footscray market coming up and the doubling of the train tracks uptill South Morang. The train station is right on the suburb edge so not much to choose from. Lalor has this good area in between the station and market (a bit boring but very easy living without car which might be scarce in the future).

Coolaroo or Meadow Heights has the train station coming up. Broadie has seen a lot of growth since last year and council seems keen on approvals.

Having lived in Preston for a few years I know the north a bit but completely hopeless with NW. Hopefully someone can compare these with a better prospective.

Any other areas I am overlooking that I should look into please feel free to point out. Appreciate any help :)

Let me put it this way....

Where would you buy a subdividable piece of land close to public transport(train) if you had 450K? (in Melbourne-understand that the current yields arent best but buy and hold for long so should even out over time.)

Got no favourites although lack of knowledge of local areas in general means I might end up buying close to where I am currently living (north). Spent a lot of time living in North Melbourne and CBD earlier in my life so never visited the "suburbs" much. Please feel free to suggest an area - would love to research....

Hi Oscar
you are right, I was told that last weekend 1000sqm2 block in Broady sold for $820,000.:eek:

Cheers, MTR

Firstly, thanks to MTR,oc1 and bigtone for the replies so far.

Not sure if forum members dont deal in these areas much or maybe I didnt ask it the right away. Although, was hoping at least spiderman could respond since the only other thread I could find on Lalor included some of his fine remarks :)

1000 sqm for 820K - doesnt sound right- unless it had multiple dwellings on it and quite fine ones too, I should add.

Hi,
I know this area very well.
The Whitlesea Council is very supportive of subdivisions in Lalor and Thomastown.

For a 650sqm block, you will get a 3 br house that is liveable and lettable, most likely you can put 3-4 bedroom on the back of it, or alternatively, you will get can get 4 1-2 br units o it, there are a few of the later on it.

Alot of the lalor residents are aware of the subdivideable land and are doing the projects themselves.

You could easily get the property i described for sub 450 close to Lalor train station.

I prefer he community in lalor thomastown and epping than broady area, alot of italians/geeks and macodonians.

For a 650sqm block, you will get a 3 br house that is liveable and lettable, most likely you can put 3-4 bedroom on the back of it, or alternatively, you will get can get 4 1-2 br units o it, there are a few of the later on it.

I have to say that I'm surprised you could get 4 x 1 or 2 bedroom units on 650 sqm. Is this right??

I have to say that I'm surprised you could get 4 x 1 or 2 bedroom units on 650 sqm. Is this right??

Hi,
Yes it is.
I have seen probably six of these already done and i know the exact land sizes of the blocks.

Its usually set up as a two bedroom at the rear of the land and 3 x 1 br + study at the front of the block.

Hello all,

With a budget of under 400K -450K I am looking for a decent piece of land (at least 650 -670sqm) close to public transport (train station hopefully). The plan is to rent for a couple of years and then develop.

How does North (Lalor/Epping/Thomastown) compare with North-West (Broadie/Jacana/Coolaroo)?

Epping has the footscray market coming up and the doubling of the train tracks uptill South Morang. The train station is right on the suburb edge so not much to choose from. Lalor has this good area in between the station and market (a bit boring but very easy living without car which might be scarce in the future).

Coolaroo or Meadow Heights has the train station coming up. Broadie has seen a lot of growth since last year and council seems keen on approvals.

Having lived in Preston for a few years I know the north a bit but completely hopeless with NW. Hopefully someone can compare these with a better prospective.

Any other areas I am overlooking that I should look into please feel free to point out. Appreciate any help :)

I have been looking at Coolaroo in the past month or so, and noticed that properties are generally sold at the lower end of the price range. Some even ten to twenty thousand bellow the quoted range. No doubts Coolaroo has picked up a lot in the past 12 months, but the question is whether it has reached the peak ( or near peak, or will have limited growth compared to other suburbs in the coming years). Any comments :)

i would pick lalor

lalor as it is closer to CBD then epping and coolaroo and not much land is available there . the area i would select most is station street around shoping strip and train station .

Any other areas I am overlooking that I should look into please feel free to point out. Appreciate any help :)[/QUOTE]

I think Lalor, Epping have better streetscape than Coolaroo and Dallas.

The residential area of Coolaroo is not big, as half of the area is industrial. Talking about industrial in Coolaroo, does anyone see it as a negative agaisnt the suburb?

Back