Lamb at the kitchen table

Chalk me up as a charcoal mini-spit and weber tragic.

Low'n'slow in the weber is great - google "weber snake method" or "minion method" to find out how to get 12+hr cooks on one load of coals without lifting the lid. A good BBQ thermometer helps a lot. I get the best results in the 25 year old weber kettle I picked up from the side of the road in perfect working order...

I like goat or mutton for this. All the collagen muscle fibres in the "tougher" cuts converts to gelatine over a long, slow cook and you are just left with the stronger flavour of the tougher cuts without any of the toughness. They're cheaper to buy as well.

Same thing with tough pork neck / collar butt / shoulder or beef brisket. Need to take them to a circa 90 degree internal temp but the result is great. But even a rib eye steak cooked in a 60-70 degree C bbq for 10 or so hours and then flash seared is significantly better than a high heat roast.

Check out the Australian BBQ forum for tips and tricks... but be warned it's addictive!

This is the best I can do. Enjoy :D.

Picture+007.jpg

Attachments

• lamb.jpg
    lamb.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 66
So if there is ever an Adelaide meet up, we know what's cooking. :)

How does everyone here season their lamb? When I'm lazy it is just a bit of salt, pepper and garlic...

So if there is ever an Adelaide meet up, we know what's cooking. :)

How does everyone here season their lamb? When I'm lazy it is just a bit of salt, pepper and garlic...

It varies, depending of what taste we want on the day.

Sometimes it's more 'Greek' using oregano (both dried and powder), pepper, onion powder (sometimes chopped onion) and salt rubbed on, AFTER it's been smeared in olive oil.

That is nice with oven potatoes with the same seasoning + lemon juice, but you go lighter with the seasoning on the meat if you do that (I skip the oregano on the meat and add to the potato). Served with salad.

Have used garlic, pepper, salt and o/oil, also oil and tuscan seasoning, as well as oil, salt, garlic and ginger (you place slithers of garlic and ginger into holes created with a knife) .

Sometimes I just chop the entire top of a whole garlic and put it into the roast pan with the lamb and veg, when the meat is just oiled and salted/peppered, but that can be a little overpowering for some.

Other times lamb is just nice as is... as in, a BBQ'ed chop served with a coldie, a la Sam Kekovich style.

Lamb and rosemary are made for each other. Salt and pepper and rosemary for me - if I'm keen I'll brine it first but it doesn't respond as well to brining as chicken for example.

Best use for rosemary is to throw fresh sprigs on the coals straight under the spit or onto the charcoal in the weber. Rosemary smoked lamb... mmmmm....

weg - that looks too good! Not much meat there perhaps but I'm into quality over quantity!

It varies, depending of what taste we want on the day.

Sometimes it's more 'Greek' using oregano (both dried and powder), pepper, onion powder (sometimes chopped onion) and salt rubbed on, AFTER it's been smeared in olive oil.

That is nice with oven potatoes with the same seasoning + lemon juice, but you go lighter with the seasoning on the meat if you do that (I skip the oregano on the meat and add to the potato). Served with salad.

Have used garlic, pepper, salt and o/oil, also oil and tuscan seasoning, as well as oil, salt, garlic and ginger (you place slithers of garlic and ginger into holes created with a knife) .

Sometimes I just chop the entire top of a whole garlic and put it into the roast pan with the lamb and veg, when the meat is just oiled and salted/peppered, but that can be a little overpowering for some.

Other times lamb is just nice as is... as in, a BBQ'ed chop served with a coldie, a la Sam Kekovich style.

Okay, that's it. I'm moving to your place.

P.S. I used to be a cook, so I know my way around a kitchen.

I dont like rosemary that much, but when I was younger, we used to go BBQ's with an extended Greek family, and I can still smell the lamb with oregano and lemon juice. mmmmmm... yum.

When i roast lamb, I often cook it with BBQ sauce and red wine.

I always bags the bone when we have lamb. that little bit of meat on the end of the bone is my favourite part.

The Shank. They always used to be the cheap offcut, but noticed today they were $20/kg in the supermarket :eek: Bugger that ... slow cookers have a lot to answer for as even gravy beef and chuck are going up.

And the shank is roughly 50% bone....at $20/kg that's robbery.

The butcher we got this lamb off has shanks on special for 9.95/kg...we got some extras and they cut the bone right back down to the meat so no xtra bone sticking out.

My arbiter/comparison is chicken breast fillets. Crazy fluctuations in price. Ranging from $6 -$14 and up.

Agreed on lamb. Had lamb roast Monday eve. So tasty.

My arbiter/comparison is chicken breast fillets. Crazy fluctuations in price. Ranging from $6 -$14 and up.

Most underrated chicken cut are chicken wings - only $4.00 in Safeway and they can be used for making stock or roasting/frying for eating. Although these days I only buy my meat from the markets as the big supermarkets charge exorbitant amounts these days just for simple things.

Most underrated chicken cut are chicken wings - only $4.00 in Safeway and they can be used for making stock or roasting/frying for eating. Although these days I only buy my meat from the markets as the big supermarkets charge exorbitant amounts these days just for simple things.

Or bbq.

Mmmmm bbq wings.

I get all my meat from the local farmers market. All within 100kms of home.

Back