Lamest excuse for not paying rent

I got short changed on the direct deposit of the rent by a long term (8 year) tenant one day. I called to query the odd amount that got paid intp the account. She said she was short of money and "I knew you wouldn't mind".
What do you say to that? I was expecting a real excuse. That was the best she could do :)

I got short changed on the direct deposit of the rent by a long term (8 year) tenant one day. I called to query the odd amount that got paid intp the account. She said she was short of money and "I knew you wouldn't mind".
What do you say to that? I was expecting a real excuse. That was the best she could do :)

Did you let it slide or what?

Did you let it slide or what?

I asked her to make it up next fortnight. She did. Never had a problem before that or since. She's been with me since 2001, so I figure I'm way ahead in terms of not having any lost rent during tenant changeover in that time. So, I didn't make a huge deal out of it.

I asked her to make it up next fortnight. She did. Never had a problem before that or since. She's been with me since 2001, so I figure I'm way ahead in terms of not having any lost rent during tenant changeover in that time. So, I didn't make a huge deal out of it.

good move, good landlord!

Just last month I got "I lost my job" but.................as soon as my stimulus cheque comes in I will pay rent out of that.

And after that?

We've had some doozies over the years

Short this week [ but brand new Ford explorer in driveway]
Short this week [ but packing boxes from new TV's stereos etc still out front]
Short this week [ but BMW in drivway and largest TV on earth in lounge]
short this week [ but I bet they still bought beer, bongs and bundy]

Still, mostly they are pretty good in a slackarse sort of way:rolleyes:

Dave

It's Christmas!

I haven't got the money - it's Christmas!

To which I had to reply: "Yes - and you have had 52 weeks to budget around it!"

But yes, our property investment group friends all agree - what do ALL renters have in common? Plasma or LCD tvs!

Nothing to do with renters...

Plasma or LCD TVs!

We went out and brought a new TV for our bedroom yesterday to replace the Kmart one we brought 28 years ago whilst we were buying a dishwasher for the new IP.

Actually the salesman probably had a good afternoon as we purchased.
  • New LCD TV
  • New Microwave in damaged box for $149.00 ( I am sick of hitting the open button 3 or 4 times on microwave at home)
  • Dishwasher for new IP
  • Washing machine for daughter

Daughter will go back and buy
  • Microwave and
  • Vaccum cleaner

Plus I will have to buy a new iron as using daughter's

Cheers
Sheryn

Hmmm!! I see a common theme here. Renters buying material things to make them appear rich. Investors working on actually being rich.

Friends and Family (they're all muppets) currently buying new (or new second or third) cars on HP, increasing their mortgages to buy plasmas, new furniture (what's wong with your 18 mth old lounge I ask?).

Me - Still have my 10 yr old Commodore-paid cash. VT - Still the best Commodore ever. Been working on building my portfolio, setting up kids future, my retirement, etc. Having stacks of fun and learning along the way. My net worth versus theirs since I bought my first property? No comparison. Sometimes makes me wonder whether my DNA is the same as my family's.

And they think they're smart.

Project 1080

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

took me too long to see the light.. despite seeing others doing better than me, I figured, I dont know.. "it was different"... I figured all you could do is save if you ere good at it, and THEN... if you saved heaps you coudl do ome stuff liek others were doing, but had no idea that it was not THAT hard to get started doing something (investment wise) and that it could lead somewhere... So I looked at others who saved & bought stuff, or even did so with small loans and paid them off as succesful...... No one talked about investing, or what they did with their money, any such talk was limited to how they scrimped and saved and sacrificed, usually when pointing their finger at the rest of us who were spending money on going out.. buying your house was the onlly important thing, but no one, no one ever talked about what the results could be, jsut a dire picture of poverty if I didn't do it...the pictures painted were painted so totally bleak, bullet proof young me never beleive them . Tell you the truth, Kioysaki's Rich DadPoor Dad was such an eye opener for me, even then it took me a while to get my act togethr but it strecthed my mind and opened my eyes at least... A lot of people dont know any better to start with & are sceptical of investing "working".. My first manager at work told me when I borrowed to buy my first car (princely sum of $4.5k loan), that this is when most young blokes start to go down hill, I wondered.. what else do I do ? Can't borrw heaps for a better car, by the time I saved for one it would be ages... Not that it was his "job" to do so, but he never gave me advice as to an alternative, so in the end I shrugged it off... and later on, 10 years or so, found out what he meant.....

took me too long to see the light.. despite seeing others doing better than me, I figured, I dont know.. "it was different"... I figured all you could do is save if you ere good at it, and THEN... if you saved heaps you coudl do ome stuff liek others were doing, but had no idea that it was not THAT hard to get started doing something (investment wise) and that it could lead somewhere... So I looked at others who saved & bought stuff, or even did so with small loans and paid them off as succesful...... No one talked about investing, or what they did with their money, any such talk was limited to how they scrimped and saved and sacrificed, usually when pointing their finger at the rest of us who were spending money on going out.. buying your house was the onlly important thing, but no one, no one ever talked about what the results could be, jsut a dire picture of poverty if I didn't do it...the pictures painted were painted so totally bleak, bullet proof young me never beleive them . Tell you the truth, Kioysaki's Rich DadPoor Dad was such an eye opener for me, even then it took me a while to get my act togethr but it strecthed my mind and opened my eyes at least... A lot of people dont know any better to start with & are sceptical of investing "working".. My first manager at work told me when I borrowed to buy my first car (princely sum of $4.5k loan), that this is when most young blokes start to go down hill, I wondered.. what else do I do ? Can't borrw heaps for a better car, by the time I saved for one it would be ages... Not that it was his "job" to do so, but he never gave me advice as to an alternative, so in the end I shrugged it off... and later on, 10 years or so, found out what he meant.....

I don't get it......what's the lamest excuse you've ever had for not paying rent?? o_O

LOL I think he was following on from what Project1080 was saying :D

Yeah sorry, got carried away with myself...

Rent was one thing I felt I "HAD" to pay ON TIME, no excuses.... ph bill ws paid late at times etc, but not rent, had the fear of God in me on that one...

The 'funniest' I've personally heard have been similar to Rob William's example "Aah, they won't mind"... but they were not perfect tenants for numerous years to the same landlord, but it didnt; stop them whinging aobut how the landlord wants to keep their bond for cleaning up the place after the state they left it in.

Never took up their offers to share a rental with them..

Here's a neat twist on the rent thing ..
Last month I got a call from a tenant (male half of a young couple with very new baby). He told me he had changed jobs and there would be a break in his pay cycle on the changeover.
The good news was that could pay the rent. No problem with that.
But, because he had paid the rent, they had run short of money (to feed the newborn baby etc etc) and could I lend him $200 to keep him afloat.
So, he's paid his rent. Can't argue with that logic.
Did I lend him the money?
<pausing while Dazz rolls his eyes and mutters "tell me you didn't">
Yep. Sure did. I'm a big softie.
This guy is going to be renting from me for a long time to come. He always pays his rent 3 days in advance of the due date and nevers missed a payment (if if I have to lend him the money to do it) and he keeps the place spick and span. So, it's my long term interest to keep him solvent.

Rob - you sound like a good landlord. I have known quite a few 'bad' landlords (used to work for the tenants advocacy service - and yes there are some pathetic excuses for tenants out there too), It is nice to come across a good one.

Rob - you sound like a good landlord.

Thanks for that. I do try.
Never had a tenant changeover yet, so I must be doing something right (or wrong, depending on who you listen to). My longest running tenant has been with me for nearly 8 years. Shows no sign of moving on, either.
I can imagine her ringing around to local property managers asking "tell me about your tenant of the year award" and "how much bonus do you give your tenants at Christmas". I'm sure her enquiries are politely dealt with :)

Back