Laminate Melamine or 2 Pack polyurethane

Can anyone explain the difference between this products?

From what i gather...
  1. laminate that dull looking chipboard
  2. 2 pack poly is MDF wood sprayed with a high gloss paint
  3. melamine is particle board but for some reason is more expensive then laminate
  4. Vinyl Wrap is that raised covering that goes over the laminate

I heard that vinyl wrap peels and 2 pack chips easy and is alot more expensive than laminate or vinyl wrap.

What would you guys choose for a laundry and bathroom cupboard doors for your PPOR on an average budget?

Hey Tano,

Really, depends on the look your going for Laminates have a great range of options from white to timber look. check out 'Laminex'.
They're very hard wearing and great around wet areas also.

2 Pac poly is quite hard wearing but is prone to chipping on edges and sides of doors if you're not careful but if you're after a high end look with a gloss finish poly is your best option.

melamine is generally used for the internals of cupboards as lining and shelving and should be cheaper than the above two options

I've never heard of vinyl wrap so can't comment.

I'd suggest laminate for laundry areas as it's harder wearing and depending on your look for the bathroom you could go for either.

Can anyone explain the difference between this products?

From what i gather...
  1. laminate that dull looking chipboard
    laminate is usually a separate sheet of plastic (.4mm)that is adhered over a substrate that could be particleboard or mdf
  2. 2 pack poly is MDF wood sprayed with a high gloss paint
    poly can come in 3 finishes ,flat,satin and gloss
  3. melamine is particle board but for some reason is more expensive then laminate
    melamine is a thin plastic sheet that is adhered to a substrate in a factory environment to give a coloured finish ,melamine cannot be adhered to a sheet outside a manufacturing process specifically set up for it
  4. Vinyl Wrap is that raised covering that goes over the laminate
    vinyl wrap is a plastic coating affixed to a mdf substrate by heat, vaccum and glues that is the same as for poly ,

I heard that vinyl wrap peels and 2 pack chips easy and is alot more expensive than laminate or vinyl wrap.
vinyl wrap has its limitations in regards to heat and the atmosphere it is in ,it is hardier than poly which just like your car paint will chip if abused .
What would you guys choose for a laundry and bathroom cupboard doors for your PPOR on an average budget?

there are many good looking melamine's on the market that come in a texture, sheen and gloss finish ,all comes down to personal choice but for me I would steer away from vinyl wrap in a moist environment

Have 2 PAC in laundry and using a steamer on clothing beside cupboard has lifted it along the edge. I have a very small laundry though so it gets quite steamy!
Have a small oven/microwave combi thing in kitchen, also beside 2 PAC and it has also lifted so heat is NOT good with 2 PAC. Melamine has also done this so basically whatever you choose, do not have excessive heat near it. Kettles, clothes dryers etc

Back