Land Lord problem

I have a freind who is currently living in an IP next door to her land lord.. The problem being this old guy keeps modifying the property ( cut off half the backyard by moving his fence inward ) And he wont fix things such as a tv antenna which is busted resulting in no tv basically ( antenna on the roof ).. And recenty a part of the fence fell down so he ripped it out and never replaced it. Now the neighbours have a clear view straight into the kitchen area and one of the bedrooms... Basically this place is falling apart. What are her options? she wants out and there is a good 4-5 months left on the lease.

Last edited:
I have a freind who is currently living in an IP next door to her land lord.. The problem being this old guy keeps modifying the property ( cut off half the backyard by moving his fence inward ) And he wont fix things such as a tv antenna which is busted resulting in no tv basically ( antenna on the roof ).. And recenty a part of the fence fell down so he ripped it out and never replaced it. Now the neighbours have a clear view straight into the kitchen area and one of the bedrooms... Basically this place is falling apart. What are her options? she wants out and there is a good 4-5 months left on the lease.

Is this property manged via a property manager? If YES then raise issues with PM -

1) Backyard fence to be returned to original yard size.

2) TV antennae must be repaired

3) Fence to be replaced

If not managed by a Property Manager

I would write a letter to the Landlord re above & wait out tenancy agreement and move on making sure Landlord does not live next door 150 days to go.

Experience is a great teacher.

Sheryn

My friend has a similar problem with her landlord.
Although he's just built a new house next door and allowed all the workmen to leave their rubbish lying around, whilst using the house that my friend has been tenanting as a rubbish dump, using the water and power of their house.
But will not replace the oven, which blew up about 5 months ago, rotted floor boards and the cupboards in the kitchen are falling to bits.

I told her to go directly to the PM, as the letters sent were convieniently getting "lost", and talking to the landlord would go in one ear and out the other.

After plenty of discussions with the PM, more letters threatening to go to tribunal, it was funny how quickly they recieved the repairs.

In saying that either your friend can write letters, or go straight to the PM, but one thing they can't do is ignore the problem and be miserable for 3 or 4 months, or if it continues, take the landlord to tribunal.

Tenants have the same rights as landlords, sometimes more.

Oh god, we did that once. Turned out to be terrible. The landlords lived next door and self-managed. The house was newly renovated and very nice, but they were very protective of it. Part of the deal was that he would do the garden - which he did in dribs and drabs, 5-10 mins every week or so and at a time convenient to him, 8.30 on a Sunday morning, for example. They bought another place backing on to the two they already owned and rearranged the fences - leaving us with no fence, an open goldfish pond and a wandering 2yo for a couple of weeks, until we complained.
The upshot was, we waited out our year, bought our own place and got the hell out - vowing never to rent again off anyone who lived next door or who self-managed.

Thanks for the input guys. All sounds very usable... But as much as I tell her it can be fixed. She's just hating life and wants out lol... Are there anyloop holes that can get her out of the lease hastle free and preventing extra expences that come with breaking a lease? The property is managed the a pm. Im sure the cost to re-do the fence would surpas the temination fees so maybe she could go into the re and say look, I want this fence fixed, or I want out as of x date with no fees????

Have they visited and read the relevant material on the Consumer affairs victoria site?

"In the case of general or non-urgent repairs you will need to notify the landlord or agent in writing through the 'Notice to Landlord of Rented Premises' form, available from Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV). If the repair is not carried out within 14 days, then a copy of the notice should be sent to CAV with a written request for an inspection." - from the site

CAV repairs & maintenance

Back