Land Lord tips from the U.S.A.

Here are a few things we do over here, maybe some will apply to your adventures in the great land down under!

How to make land lording easy.
So...how do you do it the right way?
1) You must enjoy people
2) You must be a good listener
3) You must be compassionate and understanding
4) You must say what you mean and mean what you say
5) YOU MUST HAVE RULES AND REGULATIONS
6) You must stick to those rules and regulations ALWAYS
7) YOU MUST SEND OUT A NOTICE TO QUIT THE VERY FIRST DAY RENT IS LATE.
8) NEVER CONFRONT A TENANT FACE TO FACE WITH ANYTHING THAT THEY DON'T WANT TO HEAR. ALWAYS PUT BAD NEWS OR REPRIMANDS IN WRITING AND SEND IT TO THEM.
9) ALWAYS HAVE EVERYTHING YOU DO IN WRITING...ALWAYS... EVEN IF IT'S TO THANK THEM FOR SOMETHING.
10) Take care of repairs ALWAYS in the order they are received.
11) Take care of EMERGENCIES, (NO WATER, NO LIGHTS, LEAKY ROOF, RUNNING TOILET, NO HEAT, ETC. IMMEDIATELY
12) BE A GOOD LISTENER WHEN YOUR TENANTS CALL AND DON'T ARGUE BACK. This is hard to do so I don't take phone calls. Normal repairs are submitted to me in writing. EMERGENCIES are called into my office. I have them state that it is an EMERGENCY and I call back IMMEDIATELY!
But if they call to complain about something I deal with it through a letter. Make sure your letters are not nasty in anyway. (I have wanted to write some pretty nasty stuff, but threw them away after I wrote the first draft to get it out of my system. When I cooled off I wrote a professional letter dealing with the issue. NOTHING MORE)
12) IF A TENANT SAYS SOMETHING TO YOU AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY BECAUSE THEY TAKE YOU OFF GUARD THEN DON'T SAY ANYTHING AND THEN SEND SOMETHING TO THEM IN WRITING.
14) WHEN IT COMES TO REPAIRS AND THEIR OUTRAGES SEND THEM A LETTER STATING YOU APPRECIATE THEIR REQUEST FOR THESE UPGRADES AND YOU WILL BE GLAD TO DO THEM IMMEDIATELY. THE NEW RENTAL RATE FOR THIS UPGRADE WILL BE $$$. Tell them if they agree you will begin immediately.
15) Remind Tenants through cards or letters about smoke detectors, lawn maintenance time and things you want them to do. I make my Notices such as Vehicle Violation Notices, Lawn Maintenance Notices and Late rent notices and apology cards for repairs taking longer than normal, with funny cartoon like figures on them to take away the harshness of having to tell a tenant they need to do something. (My greeting cards are sold here on mrlandlord.com)
16) Make their time with you enjoyable. Make it fun by making them feel special with Birthday Cards, Baby Cards, Anniversary Card (their time with you) and more.
17) DON'T GET NASTY WITH YOUR TENANTS OR FIGHT WITH
THEM. ESPECIALLY FOR NON PAYMENT OF RENT OR EVICTIONS.
If a tenant is late with their rent I send them a Notice I never confront them verbally. If it is time to file the summons and complaint I may call them just before I go to the court house and say, "Hi Tenant this is Nancy, I haven't received your rent yet...so what's going on", and I say that in a very friendly, nice and concerned voice. Not, Hey Tenant where's my rent, hey what's going on! The way I talk to my tenants is always in a respectful way, that way the worst of the worst tenant will feel their special and not get into a heated argument with you.
Now if the Tenant gets nasty, I keep my cool (hard to do believe me) and I just say, okay, okay, let me think about, I understand, and just refrain from saying anything. I try to answer the questions as best as I can. If they don't like what I say and they are belligerent and I can't get a word in edgewise, I polite hang up the phone and send them a letter. Professional, not nasty, but concerning the rules and this s how it is and I'm sorry they are not happy here, and that is why their lease is on a month to month so they can give me a 30 days notice when they are ready to leave.
17) No need to argue when doing an eviction. Just send them the Notice, take them to court and do the normal steps to evict them. No need to argue. Nothing to argue about. That's part of the job. You know the steps just do them.
18) When they move and you see damages, you rant and rave and then fix the place up and start all over again because that' our business. You will get reimbursed for the damages from their Security Deposit and by garnishing their income tax or their wages because they were COLLECTIBLE when you screened them.
19) TRULY LIKE YOUR TENANTS AND THEY WILL LIKE YOU BACK.
(I have had many disagreements with some of my tenants. Where I was cordial with them, never argued back but held firm to my convictions. They have yelled at thought me to be unfair, but arguments stem from not understanding the other persons point of view. When you explain to them why you have to do something, then it usually calms the situation down. They may not like it but they respect you for letting them know. I can have a discussion with a tenant and they can be fuming mad and after I explain the situation to them, we continue to like each other and hug when we meet and they have been with me as long as I've here.
22) Enjoy land lording and it will show
23) There will be times when you will flip over the edge because that's normal, but these times will be few and far in between and not an every day occurrence like I read from some posters on a daily basis.
When you complain about your tenants on a daily basis and start calling them names, then it's time to sell. This business is not right for you.
Remember if you hate or dislike something it shows. If you LOVE IT, everything runs smooth and your tenants feel it.
Many times my tenants tell me how much they enjoy us as Landlords. They tell their friends about us and their friends tell them their lucky and they want to rent from us too.
Isn't that your dream? Isn't that the goal? Life is what you make it. How you deal with these situations will make your life as a Landlord Hell or the best investments of your life.

Creative ways to advertise for tenants!
Use a professional sign outside the property, not one of the cheapo ones from HD.
How is the curb appeal? Get rid of weeds and trash and anything that makes the property look run-down. Paint the outside if it needs it.
These ideas, except for one, cost you nothing unless you get a renter. I pay for performance and rarely use newspaper ads.
Offer cash bounties to anyone who refers a qualified applicant that takes a unit. Start with existing tenants. I'm offering one month's rent right now.
There are companies that specialize in placing tenants and sometimes the tenant pays. Pay extra if the LL usually pays and offer to pay a portion of the tenant's share if the tenant usually pays. I offer a sliding scale of payment depending on the credit score. 100% if the score is over 680; 75% from 660 to 679; 50% from 630 to 659; 25% from 600 to 630.
Donate to local religious institutions if they refer a qualified applicant who takes a unit. The priest, rabbi, or whatever will make an announcement every service about your vacancy and will post your flyer on the bulletin board.
Offer to buy gift certificates from local stores if they refer a qualified applicant who takes a unit. Use mom and pop places, not large chains. I avoid bars and places where the customers are not the type of person I want as tenants. Laundromats and convenience stores are good places. Around me there is stiff competition for laundry services. If I give the gift certificates to tenants, they are more likely to use that particular place.
Check out whether your local movie theaters offer advertising on the screens. Some LLs spend several hundred dollars to run an ad for a few days. For several hundred, your ad will run before every movie for a month.
Contact local insurance companies and tell them you have units available for their insured waiting for their home to be rebuilt after damage. This won’t be a weekly rental. Some damage can take months or a year to repair.
Place your flyers in local schools and government offices. Just be sure to avoid the health, building, and legal departments. You don't want tenants that know the law better than you.
Contact the local large employers and tell them you have units available for employees moving to the area. Also, contact local temporary agencies. Many of them bring in talent from across the country and offer nothing in the way of relocation information.
Contact foreign embassies and tell them you have units available for their citizens that are moving to the US. Offer perks like included utilities or move-in help so that it is easy for a person unfamiliar with US customs to move-in easily.
Contact the local universities and tell them you have housing available for graduate students. Foreign ones are the best and I avoid renting to undergraduates as they require a hands-on approach I do not with to give. Offer the school a kickback if a student rents one of your units.
www.craigslist.org will allow you post a free ad. I offer free, wireless broadband access in some of my units. Just raise the rent the cover the cost.
Are you an alumnus of a local university? The ones around me allow alumnae to use their email distribution lists for rental ads.
Pay for the movers or work out a deal with a particular moving company to offer discounts to your potential tenants. If your units are small, negotiate storage deals with the company for your tenants.
Once you get them to call, you need to get them too view the unit, assuming they pass your pre-screen.
Just before I end the call, I tell them all people who view a unit are eligible for a drawing where they can win a gift certificate to a local restaurant. That eliminates many of the no-shows.
The inside of the unit must be in "WOW" condition. All fixtures should sparkle and not a spec of dust or dirt is anywhere, including closets and cabinets. Wipe down the walls and doors. Mop the floors and clean the windows. Don't forget mirrors if you have them.
The bathroom, including the toilet, is extra clean. Keep some TP and towels in the bathroom and some furniture in the rooms. Don't clutter the place. Make it look homey and keep on all the lights, even the ones in closets.
Have a table and chairs set up so that applicants can fill out the application there. Keep a phone book handy so that they can look up numbers, if needed. You should have a list of the major vendors in your area for utilities so that it is easy for the tenant to change over and have a sheet with information like emergency numbers, trash day, parking information, and city ordinances on snow removal and emergency parking.
If they won't fill out the application there, get as much contact information as you can so that you can follow up with them. Give them a brochure that shows how your units are better than the competition. You may want to consider novelty items like pens and magnets that have your contact information on them. Tenants will use them and be more inclined to call the person that gave them something. It's real easy for them when they can read the phone number off the pen they are using. Don't forget to tell them about referrals. They are more likely to send you a renter if they will get something out of it. --
Don’t forget your tools!
The Landlords tool kit a work in progress”
A pick up truck with tool box in the bed w/ Cooler and cold water
Full sets of tools, including Garden gloves, wet dry vac, leatherman, versatile ladder and a Cleaning supply kit
Good contracts w/clipboard and Paperwork for quick action
An answering machine, Cell phone, digital Camera and note pad.
Contractors discount plan at the Home Depot.
A good network of reliable and trustworthy workers/(friends)
Extra kitchen and bath faucets, tank and shutoff valves w/ supply lines
Trailer or trailers for storage
A system for collecting rent, screening applicants, showing property, managing leases, enforcing rules, storing and labeling keys and contracts, filing set up for tax accounting year end, a method of handling emergencies.

Best of luck mates! Dan at www.magicbullets.com :)

What a great post - and some very professional PM methods outlined there, as well as some clever extras to beat the competition. It gives US PM a very interesting feel about it.
Thank you :)
cheers
crest133

Sharing the Wealth

Here are some of the resources we use as well!

Land lording support
www.magicbullets.com/forum/ (my attempt to bring us all together) Dan
www.mrlandlord.com (property management) Jeffrey
www.thelpa.com/lpa/index.html (landlord protection) John
www.atshome.com/info/index.html (tips, articles, screening, support)
www.federal-services.com/forms/index.htm (free landlord forms)
www.zipreports.com (credit checks)
www.tenantcredit.com (credit checks)
www.infocredit.com/ (background checks)
www.pretrieve.com (try it you’ll like it!)
www.creditretriever.com (credit reports on tenants)
www.skiptracers.com (find the tenant who owes back rent)
www.landlordlocks.com (one key for all the rentals)
www.rentracker.com (software)
www.rent-right.com (software)
www.rentalsoftware.com (software)
www.landlordsoftware.com (software)
www.thetooldirectory.com/main.asp (tool directory)
www.thelpa.com/lpa/free-forms.html?id=nyy2upaZ (free landlord forms)
www.screeningservices.com/forms/grab-bag.shtml (free landlord forms)
www.bestrentalapts.com/application.pdf (a rental application for you!)
www.homefindersbulletin.com/docs/checklist.pdf (free tenant move-in checklist)
www.weekendmillionaire.com/Inspection_Form.pdf (another)
www.naahq.org/resources/econ.aspx (apartment owner’s industry news)
www.housingfinance.com/aft/ (Apartment Finance Today)
www.reiclub.com/real-estate-business-tools.php (R.E. tools for investors)
www.apartmentassociation.com country wide

Best of luck! Dan at www.magicbullets.com :)

crest133 said:
What a great post - and some very professional PM methods outlined there, as well as some clever extras to beat the competition. It gives US PM a very interesting feel about it.

And very clever marketing too!

I wish more Australians had learnt to be as subtle & effective *sigh* most of them think the best way to get your attention online is to throw a brick at you.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Doggonit, you know I should have sold something! To bad I didn't. I think I solicited some goodwill and hope everyone took me up on the offer.

Hey while we are on the how not to get scammed note how about a little tutorial I wrote on that! :eek:

Secrets to Buying without Being Sold
(By reading this you will become wiser)
By Dan Auito

Have you ever asked yourself, now how did I let that guy sell me on something that I had no real need for at the time? Do you ever get a sneaking suspicion that your probably not going to really use whatever it is that your buying in the way that it was presented? If this is true which is often the case, then why in the heck do we give up our hard earned money for something that until we heard some sales spiel, we really had no need or want to have.

Please allow me to expose what marketers do to us on a regular basis in an effort to develop those perceived wants, needs and desires in us which drive us to buy what is being offered.

Let me first tell you that My wife Kimberly was at one time a true life consumer protection agent for Pinellas county Florida and I along with her have the same bent attitude towards protecting people as opposed to seeing them being taken advantage of, If you can let your guard down for a minute I think you’ll absorb these keys to understanding better and you’ll get more out of what I’m about to tell you.

Secrets that marketers don’t want you to know!
(When you buy, use logic not emotion)

• • A good marketer or salesman will always make it as easy as possible for you to buy whatever they are selling, check, cash, credit, fax, phone, mail or on line, That’s fine we want that, but almost without question once you have decided that your ready to check out you’ll find the up-sell pitch almost preventing you from completing the transaction. The up-sell is where once they have you sold on the least expensive item or package deal, they attempt to upgrade you to a more expensive premium feature, option or package.

A Variation of this technique is the cross-sell, this is where they start adding options to the item that you have decided to buy, cars are a good example with undercoating, floor mats, premium sound systems, Sport packages etc… these are things that enhance the desirability of the original product sold.

Key: Don’t fall for the sale, after the sale.

• • The next tactic relied upon by many is to prey upon your fears, there is a rule that says people will buy ten times more often to relieve fear then they will to obtain pleasure, insurance companies use this tactic by instilling fear and guilt in you by saying you will be leaving your family broke, destitute and homeless if you fail to provide this protection through the products they sell. Once they have the fear established then you would see the focus put into selling the benefits that would result from your wise decision to buy today.

KEY: Recognize when someone is trying to instill or plant fear into you and also remember who initiated the conversation. Did you originally need this protection or has someone made you feel that way through a mind altering sales script.

• • Their next ploy is the take-away, here they employ the factors of scarcity, greed and time, you often see it used in the following manner; You must act now on this exclusive offer, we only have a limited supply at this price, this won’t last long call now! In this case they make it appear there’s not many, it’s a great deal and it will be gone, you are about to lose the advantage, the edge, the deal, the benefit, the opportunity will be gone.

Again the fear of loss and the loss of pleasure are being used to get you to logically make an emotional decision based on fear, they want you to act fast so you don’t have time to think!

Key: Know that the deal will most often be there tomorrow and think logically when making your decision on whether or not to buy, use time as your ally.
The ability to make quick decisions and stick to them is an admirable quality, but you must insure you indeed did make the right decision to start.

• • You must be aware or beware of savvy salesman, one trademark quality of this type of individual is his or her ability to lower your resistance to their pitch, often you find them criticizing the product or service before you get the chance, this is known as Objection Resolution. Based on their experience they know what often will prevent a sale before they begin, so they bring it up first to effectively remove their biggest obstacle to the sale.

Key: Ask yourself if this feature is critically important to the products ability to solve, provide for, or deliver the results that you intend to buy it for, if not? Then you may consider dwelling awhile on the defect to get a price concession or discount based on that fact. Don’t allow your resistance to be lowered through dissolving, disabling or disarming sales double talk.

• • Another orchestrated event you’ll often see is the use of the image plant or involvement device these are designed to get you into an ownership state of mind as if the product or service being sold is already yours and the benefit will now be achieved. By getting you to envision some great outcome or result they tout how much better your life will be, IE… Slimmer, stronger, healthier, happier, WEALTHIER! When dealing with hard goods they ask you to hold it, feel it and smell how nice it is, by getting you to investigate further they increase the odds that you will take ownership. How about a free test drive?

Key: Remember! A generous offer often comes with a hefty price tag, don’t allow yourself to get involved to quickly in what seems to be the deal of a lifetime.

• • Moving on to the super smooth and accomplished salesperson we find an even more persuasive individual who is adept at patterning and mirroring you yourself! These people will move as you move, adjust the tone and dialect of their speech patterns to your type and style while getting you to respond with as many yes answers as possible, if they can get you nodding and saying yes to obvious questions that evoke that response then you could say that they are conditioning you to continue agreeing with what will come next, that question being: And how would like to pay for that? Will that be cash or charge? Would you like that in red or blue? That is the close or what is called assuming the sale.

As you can see these types are very well healed and they actually are using a little acting and showmanship on you, They use scripts to control the sales event and they don’t leave much to chance, if your weak and unprepared then consider yourself vulnerable to being persuaded by this professional at work.

Key: Ask your own questions to take them out of their script, and when they prompt you for that affirmative yes answer, say to yourself: I’d like to think about that for a moment. Again slow the process down to see what’s going on before it’s too late.

• • One last Character and we’ll rap this thing up, this fellow presents the good ole boy image, the friendly type who spends a great deal of time conditioning you to buy through storytelling, he’ll give you examples of others who received extraordinary results, benefits, satisfaction, performance, reliability or a hundred other favorable outcomes from taking his advice.

Key: If you find yourself being captivated by good storytelling then you should recognize that your tendency to buy is slowly being increased. Once you recognize the method you should immediately refocus on your specific needs and what the product or service actually delivers. Again you’ll need to use logic to avoid the emotional images being conjured and implanted throughout the presentation.

There’s an old saying that says the more you tell the more you sell, I can agree with that to some extent but I come back to the fact that if something is of great value at a low price, it sells itself! with only enough advertising to get word of mouth to do the rest.

By now I probably have you afraid to leave the house after telling you how these individuals go about their craft, fear not educated consumer we have a solution!
Simply by understanding and recognizing the simple tactics used in the trade we can effectively neutralize them and continue on our way to getting the best deals on the products and services that we truly need, want and desire.

Lets recap and create our own script or methods to counter the professional salesman’s effort.

How can we neutralize Up-sells, Cross-sells, Fear of loss, Use of guilt and shame, take-a ways, pre-emptive resolutions, Image plants and involvement devices, Patterning and Mirroring, Assumptive closes, and good storytelling? Simply by recognizing that they are being used to stir our emotions in a sales situation!

Once you are aware of the tactic and recognize that it is being employed you can defend against it, now you know the rules of the game and can make an effective corresponding move to counter the well thought out strategy of the seller.

How can we make the buying events easier on ourselves other than just keeping our guard up for all these different emotional appeals?

I believe the #1 way to insure a great deal is to know whom your dealing with! By using referrals, reviewing unbiased testimonials and obtaining proof in cases where you don’t actually know the person or company in question you will be one step closer towards feeling as though you will receive more than an average benefit from the transaction. Note: If you can cut out the middleman than I encourage you to do so whenever possible.

Try to buy direct from the source through friends or their referrals to people they know, reputations are put on the line and personal service with care is more often rendered, this is where having a large network to rely on will help you to achieve better pricing on guaranteed products and services

Again this is the first step in stacking the deck in your favor, once you have come this far its time to interview the seller to insure again that they aren’t going to use those classic tactics we’ve become so accustomed to.

They may be friends, acquaintances, or rock solid referrals however we still need to ask tough questions to determine various levels of competence, product knowledge and proficiency to determine their credibility. As they say, actions speak louder than words, do they have integrity are they honest? Can they be relied upon as an authority regarding the business dealings you’re undertaking?
You need to ask tough questions in order to get the correct answers in these fact finding missions, this pays big dividends in the long run, because you strengthen your resources while gaining the respect you deserve as a paying customer.

In the end your not going to be able to use a single script like a person or company who sells the same products or services day in and day out but you can understand how those companies operate and thereby be an informed and educated buyer when your needs arise for the products and services they sell.

This report was written to help you buy right without being sold!

Sincerely yours, Dan Auito.

Hiya

Welcome

Nice reverse, Brian Tracy,Tom Hopkins, Allan Pease and Anthony Robbins approach.

As a "professional salesperson" I see your point, there are many people that will benefit from the information provided.

In my career I have had to use every technique you have mentioned (and then some) to un-cover what my client really wants. Few people really know what they want in a product or service, yet alone from their life.

Id hazard a guess that not too many of my clients would think they have been scammed, even the ones that have had to be "encouraged" and now are in a better financial position than they would have been had they not made a buying decision.

I recall a very sales resistant person who would not partake in any life insurance because he was previously sold the idea that it was all a scam.

He left behind a 28 year old wife and 2 young children with a big mortgage, a fair few bills and the minimal insurance his superannuation fund paid, when for the princely sum of < 100 dollars a month he could have had a milion dollars worth of cover.

This person was a friend, and I dont sell insurance, yet I could not convince him of his family's need .............. I failed that day, but learnt a life's lesson in the process. That was the day that I realised that the ones closest to us often have the least power to influence us, for had he sat with a professional Insurance sales person before that fateful day, that person may have been able to "exploit" his emotions and get him to make a decision that his boxed logic would not allow him to.

For every negative/scam marketing position, there is a defined need, and as a pro sales person you would be negligent in your duty to the client if you did not look at all avenues for the client to own your product or service. For if you dont suceed with what is a good value product, the next better salesperson with an inferior product will.

A good salesperson will walk away from a deal if its not in the client's interest, not sometimes, but EVERY time !

I agree that where ever possible a referral based resource is very useful, for there is trust for the client for all the reasons you mention.

Ta

rolf

Back