Land Sale

You may recall some months back the story I posted about my parents block of land. The neighbour had fenced it off without my parents knowledge or consent, and there were agisting horses on the land that someone was getting paid for (not my parents) and a cow conflict etc and a partridge in a pear treeeee........ :p

Anyway, there was some letter toing and froing all done by me on behalf of my parents followed by a quiet period. Then, last month my parents rang and said they had decided to sell the land once and for all, and to the neighbour who had put up the fence - for his original offer. (He had made an offer when we first discovered the land had been fenced and went next door to them to investigate, but my parents had rejected the offer then.) I sent the letter off to them 2/8/04 and they rang on Saturday just gone and said they'd buy it for the amount mentioned.

My parents think I've done such a wonderful with the letter writing etc that they've asked me to handle the sale for them and even though I want to - I don't know what to do, having never sold property before so I need some help. :eek:

We'd like to keep the costs as low as possible and do it privately if possible, but as the buyers are a bit on the 'slippery' side I want to make sure I do it right so here are some questions I have.
There have been posts here regarding clauses to use when BUYING property - what about when selling?
Do we have to provide drainage diagrams or other information or is that his due diligence responsibility? Can we sell it as is?
How do we handle it long distance? What are the steps to take and the process it should follow? When do we hand over the deed etc?
Where do I get a contract of sale from?
Do solicitors play a part in a private sale at all? When? And to do what?
What kind of costs can we expect with a sale of less than $4000.00?
With this kind of money you can see why I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum - I'd like my parents to get as much out this as possible - they've lost so much on it already. I/we are willing to do any legwork or running around that's necessary.

As I haven't done this before I don't know what I don't know so don't know what other questions to ask, so can you get inside my head please and think for me. :rolleyes: :)
What else do I need to know?

TIA
Olly

Hi Olly,
cool name, my 19month is called Oliver but we only ever call him Olly. I quite often buy privately and have just sold privately. My solicitor handles it all as part of a normal conveyancing fee, that is after we've agreed on price.

Darryl

Olly,

Can't answer your question but not sure if this will be any help ya.

I reckon that if you could buy (or beg, borrow or steal etc) the book "Clauses Made Simple" by Robert Balanda, it may help ya with some ideas re clauses or examples of conditions to use in a sale etc.

Here's the website link: http://www.clausesmadesimple.com/content.htm

Asy had previously mentioned this book on this forum.

Hiya Olly,

I agree with Darryl.

Now that they have agreed on the big picture, hand it over to the solicitor or conveyancer and get them to do the contracts. They shouldn't really charge you any more. Maybe a tiny contract fee, like $50 or so, but really that will be worth it.

Don't try to write it yourself if the buyer is a worry. It's not worth the little extra.

Get some quotes from the solicitors first. But it will probably require a reassignment of the lot boundaries, and you will need to talk to the council about this. Also make sure that the contract states that the buyer will foot the bill for any reassignment or title re-issuing costs, otherwise you may find that your parent's little windfall will soon become the council and surveyor's windfall...

hope this helps,

asy :D

Back