Land Tax in ACT

In the last couple of days I heard an item on one of the news bulletins that suggested the ACT Gov't was considering reducing Land Tax on IPs, the aim being to encourage investment and free up the very tight rental market here in the ACT.

Unfortunately all I heard was the advertising 'teaser' for this item but didn't actually see the news bulletin.

Has anyone heard of this or have any detail on how likely this might really be?

Thanks

JMF

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Michael - thanks for that - I too thought it unlikely, that's what surprised me about the 'sound bite' I heard. As I said in my post, I didn't actually hear the follow-up news item so I didn't know if I mis-heard the advertisement.

In any event, if it happens it is a bonus, but not to be counted on!

Regards
JMF

Reply: 1.1

Hi Michael. What you say is true but I do want to dispute the claim about Labor Property Taxes. I built in Canberra as an owner occupier a few years ago and then moved to Adelaide with my job. The Govt at that time was Labor (Rosemary Follet) and when I wrote to her re the land tax, she responded with a promise of not taxing my property as an investment property for 5 years. Great. That suited me. Then they had an election and in comes Kate Carnell (Liberal) and scrapped that exemption. Who is the money hungry faction?

I don't particularly have any favourite political party and I consider them as bad as each other. The point of this posting is to dispell any beliefs that one party is better than the other with their investment tax policies.

Grant

Back