Land tax not paid on settlement

I sold a property in QLD last month a both sides forgot the land tax payment before settlement. The buyers have sent me letter from QLD revenue saying they need to pay it!!! I intent to pay it but if I didn't does it become there responsibility? Weird setup!

I sold a property in QLD last month a both sides forgot the land tax payment before settlement. The buyers have sent me letter from QLD revenue saying they need to pay it!!! I intent to pay it but if I didn't does it become there responsibility? Weird setup!
I don't think land tax gets pro-rated, because it varies according to individual circumstances; I think it's entirely the responsibility of whoever owns it at midnight on Dec 31, which is why there's no adjustment at settlement.

So if the land tax payable is attributable to your ownership at 31 Dec 13, then yes, it's your bill.

So if the land tax payable is attributable to your ownership at 31 Dec 13, then yes, it's your bill.

(Speaking for NSW) - unless of course the contract of sale stipulates that land tax is to be adjusted at settlement.

See extract from NSW Sale of Land - 2005 Edn

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    147.3 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Land tax generally goes with the property. Its the new owners responsibility probably - depending on the contract.

As nobody will take my word for it :) It's 30 June not 31 Dec (mea culpa)

From https://www.osr.qld.gov.au/land-tax/about-land-tax/index.shtml

If you buy or sell land during the year, the tax is not apportioned between the buyer and seller?the owner on 30 June is liable. If you wish the land tax to be apportioned, this matter will need to be negotiated between the buyer and the seller.

As land tax is usually payable around 6 months after the "census" date, it's quite common in QLD for one party to own the property, and the previous owner to be liable for land tax post-settlement.

Yes, I think some confusion has been created re "land tax runs with the land". In Queensland, it doesn't; it follows the owner at midnight on 30 Jun.

To clarify the above, land tax is imposed on the owner of the land at midnight on 30 June or the Buyer if the Buyer is in possession at this time.

If the Buyer did not obtain a land tax clearance certificate, OSR may recover outstanding land tax from the owner of the land (the Buyer) as a debt (section 59 of the Land Tax Act 2010 (Qld)). This means that the Buyer may be liable to pay the Seller's oustanding land tax relating to the land.

In Queendsland, a Buyer should always do a land tax search and ensure a cheque is drawn at settlement and paid to OSR for the amount required to obtain a land tax clearance certificate to ensure they will not be liable for unpaid land tax.

Prudent conveyancing practice is for the buyer to always ensure contract clauses in each state impose any contingent (unknown) land tax / GST etc burden upon the vendor unless otherwise agreed.

Back