Land with a view.

There is a rocky, barren hill behind me. Rough country! There are grass fires [nothing dangerous] every year and the earlier owners built a 1.5M concrete wall to keep these fires [and the water rushing off the hill during downpours] at bay. So I have never actually walked there.

Last week surveyors had been working so I went for a walk today, following their pegs which I assume were to be a road. At the top of the ridge there was a fantastic view - Overlooking the city and the city centre, the race course with it's man-made lake in the middle, Magnetic Is, Cleveland Bay, Cape Cleveland and much more.

It's pretty steep to build on and there is a lot of outcropping rock so retaining walls, fill etc would cost heaps and the developer's cost would be the same. But in a number of years someone will have the readies to build a house with a view. Lucky them!

I'll stay where I am, where things are more practical. :D

Me either ... but I do like a view after living in properties with views - and others with views of the neighbours roof and a colourbond fence.

Doesn't need to be in an impractical steep location tho - or you build a practical house on the steep location.

Sunfish, reading your post reminded me of this property recently put on the market in Adelaide. The area is probably below average on most scales, average house price in the low $300k's but someone has the vision to go and build a house to take in the views no matter how hard it is to build.

image12.jpg

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-darlington-111050187

The result? Maybe it will sell for > 5x the suburb average price. If land with the view is rare then it might well be worth the expense for someone to build up the back above you. Sounds like a nice view to me.

Sorry to drag down the average posts per user of this thread.... :D

Sunfish, reading your post reminded me of this property recently put on the market in Adelaide.
That's an impressive house!!!

50 years ago I had TB and spent a few months at a sanitarium, "Birrillee" I think it was, up in the Adelaide hills. The view over the city was magnificent.

Couldn't find it on a map now but there was a rly station on the edge of a state forrest. It was a rehab hospital with the old diggers there.

Edit: Looking at the map with this property, it was "Belair National Park", so I think that was the name of the sanitarium also which would put it in the suburb of Belair. What would the property prices be there?

That's an impressive house!!!

50 years ago I had TB and spent a few months at a sanitarium, "Birrillee" I think it was, up in the Adelaide hills. The view over the city was magnificent.

Well there you go. I like hiking in the Brownhill Creek area but have never taken in the view into there from the Belair side. Looks like Birrillee looks over the Brownhill Creek valley. I'll have to go for a drive up there on the weekend. Might try and take a photo of the view for you as a reminder of the past if you like.

Birralee Wiki

450px-WillaWilla1899-FromNorthWest-B61278colour.jpg

That's the one W.

I spent some time searching on repat hospitals etc and never found that. I was only six months wed at the time so Mrs H and I snuggled up to each other pretty close on that verandah, looking over the city lights.

Compared to what, BayView?

What bust size are you? was a pearler. Did that run 20 pages?
What bust size are you is fairly obvious.

Mine was a serious question. Was it about the difficulty with building on sloping sites?

I couldn't work out what you were heading towards with the thread.

I'm happy to discuss bayviews,

Here's a small pic of ours; doesn't do it justice though:

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 47
My friend raised and renovated a queenlander that had lovely views of the city. It was really nice to sit in the sun in the mornings on the veranda looking at the city, and the lights at night looked good too. (The house was a few streets away from this one for sale, so similar view minus the rooftop http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-greenslopes-111163915)
He sold the house and the first thing the new owners did was plant gumtrees across the front yard, blocking the view. :confused: Maybe they hated their city job or something??

Back