Landlord holding party in tenant's house

A friend of mine is renting a house directly with the interstate owner. There is a lease in place.

The landlord gave notice today that they want to hold an 18th birthday party for their child at the tenant's property. Tomorrow.

I don't know what's in the lease. But surely this breaks all sorts of laws.

A friend of mine is renting a house directly with the interstate owner. There is a lease in place.

The landlord gave notice today that they want to hold an 18th birthday party for their child at the tenant's property. Tomorrow.

I don't know what's in the lease. But surely this breaks all sorts of laws.
Um, yes. That's positively bizarre.

Unbelievable - though truth is stranger than fiction.

Twice I've rented places where the landlord has invaded my space. The first time he sent his son down to have a shower while I was out. Despite protestations, this happened more than once.

The 2nd time, the landlord lived down the road and stored his stuff in the garage so was around a lot. It had a cumulative effect. Eventually, I lost it. Apparently lots of people of his culture consider it normal behaviour. I bet there are still a few around today.

I hope your friend has said a definite 'No!'?

Who doesn't love a 18th rave? :eek:
The tenant perhaps?

There can be more damage caused to a premises in five minutes of an 18th birthday than in twelve months of a good tenancy.

The tenant has said a definite no but is unsure as to his legal standing in doing so.

He has every right to say No and should never have been asked/told in the first place. I'm pretty sure that rule no.1 is that the tenant shall enjoy space and privacy and that the landlord is only allowed on-site for inspections (7 days notice) and with tenant's approval at any other time.
I'm sure a property manager or solicitor will word this better.

Tenant should go out and return home just as the party has started. Tenant should then advise everyone to leave immediately or the police will be called and they could be charged with trespass.

Tenant should then call his/her friends over and gorge on the food and drinks. Tenant should send landlord a thank you card the next day.

yeah...quiet enjoyment ok.....but I think the clincher is "Landlords cannot enter a rental property without good reason".

So unless the landlord is coming over to fix a blocked sewer (and bringing 30 guests with food and booze to assist) then I'd say "Get out now (and leave all the munchies)" lol

The tenant perhaps?

There can be more damage caused to a premises in five minutes of an 18th birthday than in twelve months of a good tenancy.

The tenant has said a definite no but is unsure as to his legal standing in doing so.

Legally he is totally allowed to say no. It's not like they are asking for an inspection without giving proper notice they are asking an insane question.

Possibly a joke?

If anyone turns up he is to call the police and charge them with trespassing

Landlord signed away his rights to enter, use or occupy the premises for any reason other than the lease and the law allows him to do as a landlord. That's limited to repairs, emergency repairs, limited number of inspections p.a. with appropriate notice at reasonable times, and abandoned premises.
The landlord definitely cannot use the premises and it's unreasonable to ask.
I would say NO it's my home.
Cheers
crest133

When we moved to Australia, our landlord who was also a migrant to Australia, brought his wife, their two children and elderly parents who were visiting Australia to visit the small unit we lived in.

He said he was there to look at issues that had been reported, but clearly not. ....His mother and wife sat down in one of our BEDROOMS as they waited for him to inspect the property. While his wife introduced their family, proudly saying the girl was their little daughter and the son as well..The wife also said they lived in Hornsby. But we didn't know much about Hornsby or what living in Hornsby meant!

The same guy then rocked up one fine day to fix mould issues in the bathroom with a mould cleaner. He was cheap.

We didn't know any better about our rights and tenancy laws. Should have reported him and the agent who was facilitating these excursions!

It was shocking. That's when I decided, that I was never going to be a landlord like that. This is a bit over 14 years ago now.

It turns out that the landlord is the parentnof one of the tenants. So my friend is going to allow them access to the house. It is only supposed to be pre party drinks for an hour or so.

That's much more tolerant than I would be. But has is young and single, and there's a few nice ladies coming.

He will try to negotiate appropriate compensation with the landlord.

So it would be a party for the brother of one of the tenants?

It is a bit strange but something more understandable than them all being strangers.

Back