Landlord tenant information

The site looks good, but some may need to be amended. In Victoria > Bonds the site says that “Your landlord cannot increase the bond during your tenancy.” Odd. The RTBA had no difficulty with an increase when the tenants stayed and the rent was increased. After several years the rent was now well above the original rent. I needed all the bond and then some after they moved out.

The site looks good, but some may need to be amended. In Victoria > Bonds the site says that “Your landlord cannot increase the bond during your tenancy.” Odd. The RTBA had no difficulty with an increase when the tenants stayed and the rent was increased. After several years the rent was now well above the original rent. I needed all the bond and then some after they moved out.

That's correct, you cannot increase the bond during a tenancy.

The RTBA only processes bonds, and more than one bond can be held on a property in the case of DOH bonds or where there's a crossover between tenants.

At the start of the tenancy if the rent is over $350pw or is the LL PPOR the bond can be in excess of one months rent, but it can't be topped up during continuous occupation.

You’re right. The original bond remained and a new one for the increase was set up. It was a while ago and I had forgotten. Thanks for the correction.

Couldn't you have just made a new lease, and lodge the bond again?
There are always legal ways around a situation.

In my province, we are lucky that the landlord holds the bond. If we increase the rent, we have the option to increase the bond.
We are required to pay interest on the bond, as determined by the province.Starting 2013..the interest is 0% :)

It was the same tenants with an increased rent, which after about 4-5 years was somewhat over the initial rent. The lease had been rolled over into further rental periods, and at the end it was on a monthly basis. In Victoria, Australia, rent cannot be increased during a fixed term, and apart from this only at intervals of six months or more. Under the circumstances, it was easier to not do anything until the rent was well above the initial rent. There's a certain amount of paperwork cancelling one bond and then making a new one for a bigger amount.

The Residential Tenancies Bond Authority holds the bond, usually a month’s rent. There's no interest. If the tenants look after the property they get the bond back. If not, the landlord gets some or all. See the Consumer Affairs Victoria web site at http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing-and-accommodation for more details.

Hi,

I only put the site up as it seemed a one stop shop for all states and territories. Many people ask about the information in thier respective state me being one at some stage I guess.

I now have what I require for my state on file. I also look into this site now as part of my DD if considering buying interstate. Simply to check what thier rules maybe which may come into consideration to buy or not.

Brian

Couldn't you have just made a new lease, and lodge the bond again?
There are always legal ways around a situation.

That would not be possible in oz. Well, at least if went to tribunal.

In my province, we are lucky that the landlord holds the bond. If we increase the rent, we have the option to increase the bond.

In my province, QLD, we also have the option to increase the bond with a rent increase. I suspect very few do, I certainly don't.

In your province is the LL required to hold the bond in a trust account?

We are required to pay interest on the bond, as determined by the province.Starting 2013..the interest is 0% :)

In my province, QLD, we also have the option to increase the bond with a rent increase. I suspect very few do, I certainly don't.

We also have never done this, but we have one house we look after that has gone from something like $350(?) per week initially (maybe ten years ago) and they are about to sign a new lease at $525 per week. I plan on asking for the bond to be increased in line with the higher rent because when they go, we may need to claim some of it, and we are foolish not to hold the higher amount seeing it is such a big increase from when they went in.

In your province is the LL required to hold the bond in a trust account?

Yes, it is required to be in a trust account.

We rarely increase rents while a tenant is in a property.
Many times they will ask to transfer to another property/unit of ours.Since it is a brand new lease, and if the rent is higher, we do require a top up.
We had this occur last week.

Back