Landlord visiting relative tenant

As a landlord of a shared 4 bedroom house, where one of the tenants is our son, what are our rights re entry to property to visit? Do we just need to ok this with tenants before they move in that we may pop in to visit once in a blue moon... and assure them that all property issues are to be dealt with by the PM so we are not there checking up... or are we only allowed entry on terms of property checks etc? Son will most likely visit us more often - free food, pool etc :) but just want to clarify this. We have just bought property and looking at renting it out when it settles end November. Plan was for son and 2 friends to move in and rope someone else in, but friends have both now lost jobs. Are there any PM on gold coast who would manage this situation?

Who is actually going to be the tenant? (On the lease)

If you are implying that all are going to be tenants and that most have no job then I think your heading for a heap of trouble.

I would suggest that your son is the head tenant and manages the other occupants directly. If you do this then, by rights, you can change over the sub tenants very quickly if there are money problems.

It would help that all other residents did not know that your son is the related to the landlord to save on any emotional excuses. He can then fall back on the reason he needs to collect the rent on time is so that he doesn't get thrown out rather than 'its OK because you won't get evicted by your parents'.

As far as visiting leave for him to come to you.

Cheers

Thanks for that. No the two that lost jobs are not moving in!! We are looking around for others (employed) but not having much luck with agency on GC who wants to take on sub tenancy situation. I remember years back in my youth, house sharing with everyone's name on the lease was the way to go rather than just one or two of you taking on the lease for a place! Prob is I have to visit son for (non obvious) medical reasons. It all seemed like a good idea at the time, he wanted privacy and we wanted some peace and quiet so we thought this might be good long term option, but now not so sure!!

Dont think 1 bedroom units make for a very profitable investment!! Unfortunately like I said the plan has changed since we signed contract etc. Just wanting to get genuine advice from someone who might know about this :)

Give the Residential Tenancies Association a call. You are wearing two hats, landlord and mum, so they might be able to tell you where you would stand (other than in the front yard) regarding visiting him.

Thanks for that. No the two that lost jobs are not moving in!! We are looking around for others (employed) but not having much luck with agency on GC who wants to take on sub tenancy situation. I remember years back in my youth, house sharing with everyone's name on the lease was the way to go rather than just one or two of you taking on the lease for a place! Prob is I have to visit son for (non obvious) medical reasons. It all seemed like a good idea at the time, he wanted privacy and we wanted some peace and quiet so we thought this might be good long term option, but now not so sure!!
if your son wants privacy i doubt he would get that in a share house?
where as a i bedroom unit would be ideal as previously mentioned and could be profitable too.

can you rent out the 4 bedroom in the usual way and look at another property for your son?

i could see potential messy problems with a mix of tenants and the landlords son, but multi lets do occur of course like student accommodation etc.
a professional property manager would probably give you the best advice.
regards.

Back