Landlord Vs Tenant - Paying For Water

Always knew that tenants pay for water consumption in Victora but was under the impression that landlords pay in other states. Did some digging around and it looks like

NSW Tenant pays "if"
-the rental premises must be individually metered (or water is delivered by vehicle, such as those with water tanks on rural properties) and
-the charges must not exceed the amount billed for water usage by the water supplier and
-the rental premises must meet required ?water efficiency? standards.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/f...me/During_a_tenancy/Paying_water_charges.page

QLD Tenant pays "if"
-the rental premises are individually metered (or water is delivered by vehicle)
-rental premises are water efficient, and
-tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/During-a-tenancy/Rent-and-other-payments/Water-charging

Vic only one "if"
-the property has a water meter

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing-and-accommodation/renting/rent-and-other-payments/utilities

Sooooo a couple of questons for my more knowledgeable fellow investors
-is this right?
-does anyone not charge tenants for water in QLD or anywhere else (east coast only:cool:)?

Correct for QLD.

I don't charge tenants yet, as properties aren't 'water efficient'.

Will look at doing so on next tenant change though.

On a slight tangent.... if there is a concealed leak & you get a huge water bill then Qld Urban Utils will refund 10% of the excess usage if the landlord pays for the water consumption, and give a 40% refund if the tenant pays for consumption.

It cost me $1500+ when a Brisbane IP leaked for 3 months before I got the bill.

This is an excellent reason to make sure the tenant pays for water consumption.

On a slight tangent.... if there is a concealed leak & you get a huge water bill then Qld Urban Utils will refund 10% of the excess usage if the landlord pays for the water consumption, and give a 40% refund if the tenant pays for consumption.

I agree .same thing happened to me in Qld a couple years back....tenant pays water.

In WA tenants pay. You can split it by percentages if you like but generally it's 100% tenants pay for usage and landlord for water rates.

I very recently had a tenant move out and then discovered the pipe was leaking,I had it repaired.

Tenant received water bill for the time they were in my house, it was $500 for the quarter. I advised PM to let them know that there had been a leak and I organised for them to claim for a rebate.

In the meantime I had the water transferred back into my name while I fixed a few problems. Bill arrives and I of course got the tail end of the leak. $145 for 4 days!!! I rang to claim rebate as it was the same leak and I had paid to have it fixed.

I was refused the rebate, as only one rebate to each house every 5 years. I argued it was the same leak but I could not get anywhere. I was annoyed as I was the one paying to fix it!!!!

Chris

In QLD the properties do not need to be water efficient to charge for water consumption in properties that are individually metered. The legislation allows 100% recovery of water consumption for water efficient properties and requires that tenants be provided with a "reasonable allowance" for properties that are not water efficient. Our leases defines "reasonable" as being 30 kilolitres a quarter which provides the tenants with approx $50 worth of free water a quarter at the current rates.

It only costs $200 or so for a water compliance certificate. This allows us to charge full water usage to the tenant. Pays for itself by the first water bill. Well worth it.

In QLD I paid $377 for a plumber to make the property WELS 3 compliant and give me the certificate. On the lease renewal the contract was modified so the tenant now pays 100% consumption.

An update on CONCEALED LEAK POLICY from Qld Urban Utilities.....

The policy now only covers residential owner-occupied property owners. Investment properties are no longer (as of Jan 2014) eligible for any financial adjustment - neither the owner, nor the tenant.

This is an even better reason to get the tenant to pay for their own water usage.

However, if I were a tenant and suffered a concealed leak, then I'd feel it extremely unfair that I get charged for the excess water through no fault of my own. Particularly as the higher tiered charges are double the normal tier.

The relevant ombudsman can be contacted on 1800 662 837.

However, if I were a tenant and suffered a concealed leak, then I'd feel it extremely unfair that I get charged for the excess water through no fault of my own. Particularly as the higher tiered charges are double the normal tier.

In that scenario as a tenant, wouldn't it be more likely that the landlord is going to have to cover the excess usage?

So its a policy that affects landlords unfortunately.

The landlord owns the pipes and is responsible for their upkeep, therefore if they leak a tenant would have a good case to have the landlord pay the excess charges.
Marg

Chrispy - not sure which area of VIC you're in but South East water will issue 1 leak allowance per household per year, BUT they will only issue up to $1000. I have a friend who rents, leak under the ground, landlords brother claimed no leak when he looked and when a plumber eventually attended and put shovel to the ground there was very quickly a flood! Her bill for usage (usually under $100) was $4000, the rebate was only $1000 and not a penny more. She has been told to seek compensation from the landlord!

might want to update the original post for Victoria too, it should be separate meter as per the other states listed.

Chrispy - not sure which area of VIC you're in but South East water will issue 1 leak allowance per household per year, BUT they will only issue up to $1000. I have a friend who rents, leak under the ground, landlords brother claimed no leak when he looked and when a plumber eventually attended and put shovel to the ground there was very quickly a flood! Her bill for usage (usually under $100) was $4000, the rebate was only $1000 and not a penny more. She has been told to seek compensation from the landlord!

... whereas in Queensland the bill is in the landlord's name and the landlord (as Marg pointed out) would be liable for the excess water. I'd find it hard to believe any tenant would just accept (and pay) the excessive water use charge. I know I would fight this if I was the tenant.

... whereas in Queensland the bill is in the landlord's name and the landlord (as Marg pointed out) would be liable for the excess water. I'd find it hard to believe any tenant would just accept (and pay) the excessive water use charge. I know I would fight this if I was the tenant.

In this situation I would fight it too - the landlord refused to send out a qualified plumber for months before eventually agreeing to it because she just kept complaining and brought in the water bill (before the bill arrived she only had letters from South East Water suggesting that she check for leaks as there was extremely high usage on the account). Unfortunately this landlord is one that gives landlords a bad name :(

Hi,

When I renovated my IP I ensured the place was water efficient and WELS compliant have certificates on file. I have in the lease, tenant pays 100 % of water usage.

Their usage is not great so $$ are not a big issue. Of course its money in my pocket if the tenant pays.

Brian

Hi,

When I renovated my IP I ensured the place was water efficient and WELS compliant have certificates on file. I have in the lease, tenant pays 100 % of water usage.

Their usage is not great so $$ are not a big issue. Of course its money in my pocket if the tenant pays.

Brian

Hi Brian. Is this a house or a unit? If you have a metered property, then wouldn't you claim the entire account from your tenants that we can legally do so including state bulk water charge.

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Resources...tenancy-fact-sheets/Water-charging-fact-sheet

Unity Water and sewerage

Does anyone know anything about the new Unity Water fees for sewerage. Is there any reason why we shouldn't start to pass on those fees as well since they just upped the cost to owners by charging 90% of the water usage amount for sewerage on top of the water charge.

Back