Landlords morally obliged to pass on rate cut

I always think there is this perception of a landlord being a retirement age man of another culture who owns the properties outright and is basically a b*st*rd.

I don't think most people think of a landlord as an average Australian struggling with the bills just like them. (as many are)

Yup, as long as they dont mind me adjusting for the increases in Land Tax, Water rates, Council rates, Body Corporate rates, PM increases.........

Actually, I didnt even increase the rent when the Interest rates increased!

So they take it as a given that some LL's will have mortgages on their properties and therefore costs. But they gloss past the fact that the LL may still be in negative territory on his cashflow?

Eh, what's it matter, bunch of morons anyway. I didn't put my rents up because interest rates are rising and I won't be putting them down because rates are falling. I'm one man, my rent at renewal periods is determined by the other 200 houses on the market in my area at any given time! It's got nothing what so ever to do with my personal finances!

i'll drop rent they day the tenant goes halves in the water, rates, insurances and maintenance.

then, we can do a 50/50 of the mortgage....

BooHoo, I feel so sorry for tenants paying over 50% of their take home income on rent - I'm paying over 50% of my take home income just on interest costs alone for my rental properties. All this drop means to me is I can avoid doing overtime at work & still be able to afford to live.

Give me a break:confused:

Yup, as long as they dont mind me adjusting for the increases in Land Tax, Water rates, Council rates, Body Corporate rates, PM increases.........

Actually, I didnt even increase the rent when the Interest rates increased!

EXACTLY!

The article is ridiculous. No more need be said.

Regards JO:p

So when my rate went from 7.35% to 9.01% is the tenant morally obligated to pay the ext $$$$ I'm sure they would have loved their rent going up $125 bucks a week.

So they take it as a given that some LL's will have mortgages on their properties and therefore costs. But they gloss past the fact that the LL may still be in negative territory on his cashflow?

Eh, what's it matter, bunch of morons anyway. I didn't put my rents up because interest rates are rising and I won't be putting them down because rates are falling. I'm one man, my rent at renewal periods is determined by the other 200 houses on the market in my area at any given time! It's got nothing what so ever to do with my personal finances!

Yes, and this is the key. Supply and demand. If falling interest rates lead to more properties being built and the supply increasing then the market will dictate that we drop our rents.

Maybe I'll pop into the Victoria Tennants union for a glass of Chardonnay and a read of a few passages from one of the many "little red schoolbooks" that I am sure are littering the place.

Idiots!

It's the law in some places (like Switzerland). Tenant has to ask for it though... hmm maybe I will, rates dropped today for the first time in 5 years from 3% to 2.5%

Sorry, no rental discount from us because in recent times our holding costs have gone through the roof.

Rents are determined by market forces and if a tenant does not like paying market rates they can go out and buy their own property.

We were actually planning to increase rents on some of our IPs before xmas.
However, this latest cut means we can hold off for a while longer

Back