landlords taking photos during inspections

During a routine inspection of an IP can a landlord take pictures of the tenants items in Queensland?
How do you know they are taking pictures of your stuff?
More likely is they are taking pictures of their property and your stuff gets in the way.

I know there are restrictions on publishing photos showing tenants' possessions (i.e., for a rental advertisement), but I can't see a problem with inspection photos.

Otherwise a tenant could damage a fixture then place a personal item on it to prevent a photo being taken to itemise the damage.
Marag

What

stolen property,
illegal artifacts,
burglarious tools,
proceeds of crime,
prohibited wildlife,
evidence of the commission of a felony,

are you trying to hide.
:D

what I dont get is why some shady people would be taking photos at an open in the intention of stealing contents, unless it was a expesnive area or if the owners/tenants had some special type of equipment

im not a thief but Iwould expect every home to have a 42"+ flat screen (they are so cheap now anyway), fridge, washing machine, PC, of which arent worth much on the 2nd hand market

maybe thats why im not a good thief

No , we are renting but own a few IPs also. We had an 8.30 am inspection but forgot about it. Our place was not ready - washing up not done etc. The agent came to door unexpectedly and just barged in to inspect. Had a complaint from a know-it-all 25 yo property agent who pissed us off and started taking pictures our place , but they were taking pictures of unwashed dishes and a mound of clean laudrey on the floor. Then she sent an email about 'cleaning issues' . No maintenance/damage or late rent issues though.. Anyway she annoyed us enough to want to move out.

We would sack an agent who treats our tenants who are our source of income and are the ones who look after our assets. Which brings me to an important 'how do you choose a good agent and how can you get more value out of them?' and has anyone got ideas or experience on managing a property without an agent?

No , we are renting but own a few IPs also. We had an 8.30 am inspection but forgot about it. Our place was not ready - washing up not done etc. The agent came to door unexpectedly and just barged in to inspect. Had a complaint from a know-it-all 25 yo property agent who pissed us off and started taking pictures our place , but they were taking pictures of unwashed dishes and a mound of clean laudrey on the floor. Then she sent an email about 'cleaning issues' . No maintenance/damage or late rent issues though.. Anyway she annoyed us enough to want to move out.

We would sack an agent who treats our tenants who are our source of income and are the ones who look after our assets. Which brings me to an important 'how do you choose a good agent and how can you get more value out of them?' and has anyone got ideas or experience on managing a property without an agent?
I thought you were my tenant for a minute. I don't think so?? I requested my agent take photos as it has new carpet and I was thinking of getting new tiles. It's hard doing colour schemes if you've only seen property twice in eight years! :)

They should only be taking photos of the property as a tool for keeping track of wear and tear / possible damage. It's really not up to the agent whether or not you've got round to doing the dishes from breakfast yet and if that's what their problem is then I consider making a complaint.

"What

stolen property,
illegal artifacts,
burglarious tools,
proceeds of crime,
prohibited wildlife,
evidence of the commission of a felony,

are you trying to hide.
"

"prohibited wildlife"....like the guy who owned this before it started growing a bit too quickly.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/02/23/1140670213316.html

Probably started chasing his mother around when she was hanging out the washing.

I think this must be getting more and more common amongst property managers. We just left a rental that was awful to live in. Lots of maintenance issues that I was reluctant to keep mentioning because everytime I did the owner would turn up for HOURS and often make the issue worse necessitating a return visit the next day. It got to the point where I didn't report the issues and now we are facing tribunal rubbish because of it :(

We were also cited by the agent for things like dust on benchtops and architraves and a dirty INSIDE of the dishwasher (it hadn't been run). They took pictures every three months as well.

A few dishes and clothes isn't a problem.

A PM should only be reporting maintenance issues, or if the property is dirty/unkept to the state that the property may be damaged or cause pests to make it their new home. Built up mould, cobwebs, stained carpet etc are reason to record and depending on the level re inspect.

I'd complain the the department manager/director. Further training is required to this PM.

Following our inspection we made a list of maintenance matters including an unusable lock. Since we complained about the PM and her housework inspection we have not heard from them at all regarding the maintainence issues. I guess we just pissed them off. Do you know what we should do now? We are in QLD.

Sounds like the PM was a try-hard who was out impress her boss with her hektik washing up still in sink defect skills

Following our inspection we made a list of maintenance matters including an unusable lock. Since we complained about the PM and her housework inspection we have not heard from them at all regarding the maintainence issues. I guess we just pissed them off. Do you know what we should do now? We are in QLD.

I'd send a follow up email. That way it's time and date stamped.

Is the broken lock an external one? As in VIC this is classed as an urgent repair and must be actioned within 24 hours.

This may help for further information that I may not be able to answer as the laws are different - http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/During-a-tenancy/Maintenance-and-repairs

During a routine inspection of an IP can a landlord take pictures of the tenants items in Queensland?

Depending on where the IP is, and how long a telephoto lens is on the camera
If the IP is in victoria and the tenant's (look an apostrophe) property is in Queensland, or
If the IP is in Goondowindi, and the trenant's property is in Townsville, it could be difficult, but possible with a satellite rental
If both are in the same building, the difficulties are removed a lot

nobody ever asks the question they want to know the answer to
can has little relationship to is it permitted

Last edited:
Back