landlords taking photos during inspections

Our agent only takes a photo if something needs repairing and he send it to us so we can see what the problem is and authorise the repair. This works well for us and the tenant as it's quick.
I think taking photos of unwashed dishes and a messy, but essentially clean house is pretty intrusive.

During a routine inspection of an IP can a landlord take pictures of the tenants items in Queensland?
Given that there are so many loser, a-hole humans who are tenants, who wreck our properties and can swan off into the unset with no recourse from us, and all the rights and advantages are in their favour and not the LL who is taking all the risk....I don't blame him for taking pics of the property.

Only a typical a-hole tenant would try to twist it into some sort of rights infringement, and be a victim as usual, claiming his personal items were photographed.

What LL would care about their shoit?

I reckon that tenants should have to return a property to the condition it was in when they moved in.

The PM should have photos on file at each new lease as well.

During a routine inspection of an IP can a landlord take pictures of the tenants items in Queensland?

Hopefully Terry will jump in here also

I believe that a landlord/agent can take photos of a property during an inspection and those photos can be used to advertise it, however the tenant can also ask that no photos be taken that identify them as living there.

This was interesting on the web

Photographing people

There are no publicity or personality rights in Australia, and there is no right to privacy that protects a person?s image. Existing privacy laws are more concerned with storage and management of personal information and are of limited relevance to the present issue.

There is also currently no tort of invasion of privacy in Australia, but in ABC v Lenah Game Meats (2001) the High Court did not exclude the possibility that a tort of unjustified invasion of privacy may be established in the future. Based on this view, the Queensland District Court found in Grosse v Purvis (2003) that a tort of invasion of privacy had been made out on the facts and awarded the plaintiff damages. However, this case concerned a long history of harassment over many years and has limited application. As a result, taking photographs of people in public places is generally permitted.

Link

Anyone can take a photo of any person, kids included, without permission so long as it's in a public place.
Anywhere else, if asked not to or advised not to or prohibited, then no you can't.

However, if it is a public place then those photos cannot in any way defame the person in the photo or be used to advertise any product or place without permission/contract.

Back