last 12 months in regional victoria?

jsut wondering how the last 12 months have fared in places like ballarat, bendigo, and any other regional cities across victoria?

Has there been growth, and what are the forecast with melbourne's prices rising... do we think people will look for a change of lifestyle, and head for cheaper housing, in these areas?

Any thoughts?

Hi keneth,
for what its worth I can give you a small update on Ballarat. I've just bought a PPR in Ballarat in the inner northern suburb of Soldiers Hill. Did this mainly for financial reasons, ie: got more bang for the buck in terms of property. The lifestyle change is an added bonus as we have 2 small kids and it appears to be a good place to raise the family.

Started looking way back in Feb and only found a "great" house after several months searching. There were lots of good IP's on the market but we were holding out for a home rather than an IP.

There has been some growth during this period of searching, hazard a guess of approx 4%. Any period style house that's close to the CBD and is under $260K goes quickly. Go above $300k and it can sit for a bit longer on the market. I know of one property that has been on the market for over 6 months now (it IS overpriced for what it is and where it is).

Ballarat seems to be pro active in terms of development, planning and commerce. The local council seems to have their act together and I know that the VLine train service to Melbourne has increased capacity by over 25% this year. There are lots of people doing exactly what I'm doing, living in Ballarat and commuting into Melb daily.

My long term strategy is to stay here for 5-10 years and then move back to Melb. I'm not too stressed about huge cap growth for Ballarat as my IP in Melb is running along nicely in that department. I'm just aiming to reduce the debt here, renovate on a small scale (the house was already pretty darn good when we purchased) and possibly purchase another IP interstate.

hope that sheds some light on Ballarat.

Any minute now OO is going to jump in here with several years of stats on everything you can imagine and any town you wish for.
So just sit back and all will be revealed to you.:)
cheers
yadreamin

That's an interesting visual Yada....OO revealing self on national forum.:D

Regional Vic is -----whatever you want it to be.

I am sure there are thousands of stories from investors that:

1.Have done really well in regional Vic

2.Some that have not done so well

3.Some that have their "set" perception and will NEVER invest in regional Vic.

Etc...

-Growth per annum averaged out of a decade, (some areas of reg. vic) are similar to some areas of metro investing.

-There is not that greater variance in investing in some areas of regional vic than some of the "middle figure" areas of metro.

-Did you buy well? (Rhetorical).

-Bought into reg vic and created equity straight away? (Rhetorical).

Maybe someone bought and thought they bought well only to find-guess what, they did not. Thought, bought, should have...

But///

-Are you prepared to invest in areas where you may not be that familiar with?(Again rhetorical). Just want folk to know what they are chasing.

-What is your plan/approach to investing? Shorter term or longer term buy and hold.

-Are you a reno person, buy something do it up and hold or maybe sell.

You see how it can be anything you want it to be?

My story is I have some IP;'s in regional Vic areas.

I bought well, growth has happened, good rental returns, I really, really know my areas, inside out and back to front for the places I have built and bought.

I buy and build some more, I am holding, I am a buy and hold girl.

Down the road when I snap up a bit more of regional vic I intend in diversing, some business to stoke up cashflow, maybe some commercial because I too want to own a big shed.

The bigger regional vic cities are doing fine, have they been affected by a very interesting drought and global financial crisis, of course and in varying degrees.

Do these bigger regional vic cities act as catchment areas for outlying rural districts=yes. Do they generally speaking keep growing in solid rates of pop growth=yes. Could you pick out a figure that shows a shortterm possible decrease of growth=yes, but does it reflect the longterm figures=no.

One third, (or approx one third) of Victorians live in regional vic. That figure is not going to change soon, because one third of our state's population DO NOT want to live in mero area. For some of us it (Melbourne) is not something that floats our boats. For some of us we will always like wide open spaces, clear skies at night and strong sense of community spirit(s).

Our State is very beautiful, I happen to think Melbourne is beautiful and I also love regional Vic. Some people choose to invest in metro, some choose to invest in regional Vic.

I have chosen to invest in reg vic, so far so good. I do it at my own pace. I buy well.

Interesting sites to keep the finger on the pulse (cyberspace wise) are shire sites, statistic sites, google any of the cities you might be interested in, but the fun and real feel for a reg city is going to visit and trip around and talk to the people...it's great fun and a BIG learning curve.

The future is always that, the future and none of us have that magical ability to say: "A B C WILL happen" but from what has gone on before, it is most likely regional cities will continue to grow and prosper, they are "catchment" cities. As they grow, so does the need for infrastructure and housing, business diversifies, more schools, better Uni's...all that stuff.

Remember not everyone wants to live in Melbourne.

Hope that helps and as you can see it is such a really open ended type of scenario you query. Sort of.

Last edited:
Back