Lastest Inspection Report

Well just rceived my latest inspection report from new property manager (same firm).

I did not get past the first page as my eyes zeroed in on URGENT "I" need to replace front door large hole due to attempted break in WTF:eek:

Phone agent immediately and get the low down and I'm told its a large hole of about 300mm near the lock but did not go all the way through, I ask if the tenants are ok and if they have filed a police report.

The tenants are ok and I'm told "NO" to reporting it to police and they did not want to involve the police :confused: I am also informed they are looking at getting a new door and the agent indicated the tenants said I would be able to install it when I come down to put the dryer on the wall. How nice of the tenants to be thinking about me and caring so much to plan my time, must figure I cannot manage to organise my time off :rolleyes:.

Alarm bells are ringing now - I ask agent how bad is the hole, I'm told its not all they way throught but the door will need replacing :(. Now I'm very concerned as this is a SOLID CORE door this is not done by kicking or shoulder charge more sledge hammer or similar. I'm also concerned about other damage to the door frame, and security door etc.

This morning I type up an email to fire off simply to follow the process of the inspection report. Stating I want a police report / incident number re the attempted break in as I will need this for insurance purposes. (have not sent yet)

If it was not an attempted break in I want the true cause noted in an attachment to the inspection report as this is NO accident.

Now sitting here typing this, if it is malicious damage as suspected I will have to report the matter to police so I am covered by Insurance, will wait on the outcome on this one.

I have also indicated to the agent if its anything other than an attempted breakin, the tenants are to obtain two quotes ASAP for the cost of repairs. I need to know this ASAP as well.

I am also advising the agent to notify the tenants are NOT to rectify or attempt to install a new door. The door is to be installed by a tradesman.

The agent has stated the property is still secued.

This is a day turn around in time for me If I elect to do it.

Do you feel I have missed anything or am I barking up the wrong path.

Bugger its time for a bit of PPOR clean up, footy and beer, see I don't need tenants help with organising my time :D.

Thanks
Brian

I would give the tenants two options:

1. Obtain a police report and crime number. Then you simply claim through your insurance and pay the excess (usually cheaper than a new front door).

2. Inform the tenants that they will be paying for a new door/repairs if practical. Have your PM organise 2 quotes, pass these onto the tenants and have them deal with the tradie directly.

We have tenants call up all the time to report 'break in' attempts, usually involving a smashed window, or damaged door handle/lock. We always insist that they call the police immediately to allow them to dust for prints and interview neighbours. 9/10 tenants will then say something along the lines of 'don't want to waste police time' or 'they wouldn't have left any fingerprints anyway' and refuse to call police.

Depending on the demographic of your tenants, they may have just locked themselves out and tried to break in, or it might have been a disgruntled ex, or whatever else they get up to. If they were genuinely broken into, any normal person would call the police. If they are lying, then you have called their bluff.

Even if you suspect they are lying, if they go ahead and get the police around and get a crime number, you can claim on insurance and get a new door.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Well after my letter to PM they have decided to contact the police and file a report and I now have a police number.

Will now see how much it will be to fix the door, as excess is $300.00.

Oh the joy :rolleyes:

Thanks
Brian

Back