Late rent. Ph switched off.. Notice sent

Here in VIC we do need to get an order from the tribunal that the tenant has absconded but we can also send a notice of entry so we can present to tribunal reasonable belief that they have left? Talk to the neighbours, neighbours are often a wealth of knowledge and you've said before they can be quite chatty! Once you have a court date booked in you can start arranging goods left behind inspections, any trade quotes etc. to take place right after that date just to save yourself some time. One thing you could do (if water usage is paid by the tenant in WA?) which I have found works is to contact the water co. Let them know that you rent out the property you own, water usage should be in tenants name (provide name and address) and check on the usage amount for the last period, if there has been no usage for the last billing period that would be a good indicator too.[/QUOTE]

Sez, Ther ewil lbe water usage as the tenant has been there since they singed the lease in February.. it's only recently I believe they'd shot through.. So that wont nevessarily help either.

I just can't understand how fkin hard DOCEP are telling me it is

It's like calling consumer affairs here, you speak to two different people and get two different answers there is very little consistancy and so too often mistakes are made based on their advice.

Depends on when the billing period is for the tenants as to whether they will be able to catch it yet. I think that only the water co. will speak to a Landlord though as the bill defualts back to them when the property is vacant, gas and electricity tend to deal solely with the tenant so won't provide details to the landlord.

Time to visit the neighbours??

It is a shame that legislation (in all states) gives the tenants a really good wicket as far as staying in the property goes after doing the wrong thing. Once it is all said and done you will feel better and you can chalk this one up to a learning curve?? Although I sincerely hope you don't need to lean on your newly gained knowledge again.

It's like calling consumer affairs here, you speak to two different people and get two different answers there is very little consistancy and so too often mistakes are made based on their advice.

Depends on when the billing period is for the tenants as to whether they will be able to catch it yet. I think that only the water co. will speak to a Landlord though as the bill defualts back to them when the property is vacant, gas and electricity tend to deal solely with the tenant so won't provide details to the landlord.

Time to visit the neighbours??

It is a shame that legislation (in all states) gives the tenants a really good wicket as far as staying in the property goes after doing the wrong thing. Once it is all said and done you will feel better and you can chalk this one up to a learning curve?? Although I sincerely hope you don't need to lean on your newly gained knowledge again.

What a fkin crock

On the 9th July 2011

1. Go to the premises
2. Determine if the property is empty - if 100% sure they have abandoned
3. If empty change locks / go to court & fill out Form 6 for return of Bond..

OR
If not 100% sure that abandoned, the: Fill out Form 12 and check if also need Form 6

I rang Synergy WA, the tenant has never connected electricity in her name and their is no current electricity bill in anyone's name, though there is power to the premises

I explained that I saw a couple of week's letters at least in the mailbox as well.

This means nothing of course.

Why don't we just let the tenant live there free till end of lease in Feb next year without paying rent ?

FFS !!!

Oh well, I'm hoping next Saturday I go there, and just find it empty . Get a locksmith out to change the locks & get my mate who's a cleaner to do a vacate clean. Then go to the court & fill out the Form 6.

I'd prefer to do it this w/end just to get it out of the way..

Last edited:
Double check that you don't need permission to dispose of goods, don't want them coming back to sue if you've disposed of things.

Perhaps you have some 'necessary repairs' to undertake on the property? Pretty sure you only have to give 3 days notice to enter the property for that in WA.
I feel really sorry for you Jaycee, unfortunately the tenants rights are protected from those evil landlords who might take advantage of their power, but the landlord has very few....

Letter received from tenatn stating roughly

they moved out due to saftey concerns for themself and their child. no longer living in wa. keys are inthe metterbox. Thanks and sorry but I dont have a phone at the moment...you can keep the bond and the palce has been cleaned as well.

Well surely that means I can go ther pretty much now and caimi the bond as the lease is over. Of course, the note is typed and signed off by the tenant's first name ony, with no sender's details...

I'm tired though, do I have to go right now ?
Will it stil be standing and ok to go tomorrow ?

Now I have to do it early too, cause I have to be somewhere for lunch and have a meeting straightafterward... good, I don't need a sleep in anyway

Letter received from tenatn stating roughly

they moved out due to saftey concerns for themself and their child. no longer living in wa. keys are inthe metterbox. Thanks and sorry but I dont have a phone at the moment...you can keep the bond and the palce has been cleaned as well.

Well surely that means I can go ther pretty much now and caimi the bond as the lease is over. Of course, the note is typed and signed off by the tenant's first name ony, with no sender's details...

I'm tired though, do I have to go right now ?
Will it stil be standing and ok to go tomorrow ?

Now I have to do it early too, cause I have to be somewhere for lunch and have a meeting straightafterward... good, I don't need a sleep in anyway

"it wasn't me who did the damage. the culprit must have politely put the keys back in the meter box and locked up"

hope she really has cleaned. hope it works out.

Yeah pretty clean, even cleaned the oil stains in the driveway, unless the rain took care of them.

Left a lot of furniture behind though.. Dble bed frame & mattress, spare bed & mattress. kids/toddler's bed & furniture and play gym, a couple of tv's a dining table & chairs, 2 outdoor chairs, a 2 seater vinly/leather couch...plates, pots&pans etc as well.

Do I ring the Salvo's and ask them to take whatever they want ?

Still trying to charge my battery for my phone take some decent photo's to readvertise.

Last edited:
You need to check the laws in your own state, but when we had a house abandoned, the young lady left a few bits of broken furniture (no value) and some clothing, shoes, handbags, underwear, CDs, sex toy, cheap jewellery etc, pretty much confined to one room.

Because the value was less than (from memory) $1000 we were able to pack it up and (again... from memory) dispose immediately.

Because it all packed into two boxes, we decided to hold onto it in a storeroom for a couple of months in case she really had had some issues, and wanted it back.

I see what you mean..

Lucky though I was worng.

There was no furniture left.

There's none ther now, so how could there have been ?

I don't know what I was thinking about in my earlier post.

3x2 villa for rent - close to shops & ammenties, opposite park in quite group of 3. $340/wk

Available now.

I see what you mean..

Lucky though I was worng.

There was no furniture left.

There's none ther now, so how could there have been ?

I don't know what I was thinking about in my earlier post.

3x2 villa for rent - close to shops & ammenties, opposite park in quite group of 3. $340/wk

Available now.

Damned, sorry to hear it, Jaycee.

That was my real bad attempt at bad humour

I was trying to pretend that I didn't admit onlline hat the tenat left furniture behind, so when I got rid of it, I couldn't be held accoutnable to them scary laws wylie pointed out.

I really ought to practice these attmepts at humour a bit more before unleashing them on the public like that.

Or are you just sorry for me because that I have a property in Balga ? :D

Last edited:

I was trying to pretend that I didn't admit onlline hat the tenat left furniture behind, so when I got rid of it, I couldn't be held accoutnable to them scary laws wylie pointed out.

I really ought to practice these attmepts at humour a bit more before unleashing them on the public like that.

Cause we all know the tenant will be reading SS, and know your real name and address?
Go for it....all was left was disgusting trash Jaycee, and you know it !!!

:D

... and check out what the dollar value is and whether you do need to store it. If it is under a certain value you may be able to put it in your pizza oven :D.

We took photos to prove that what was left was "dross", just in case.

Balga? The last time I lived in Perth - around 20 yrs ago - it had a bit of a bogan reputation, but I expect that's long since passed. It's probably on the up and up, so I don't imagine there's anything whatsoever to pity in owning there now (if there ever was). Just owning is the key thing, of course. Having tenants skip and leave you with their mess to sort out should be viewed just a minor inconvenience in the greater scheme of things, but I know I wouldn't wish it to happen to me.

Once it is all said and done you will feel better and you can chalk this one up to a learning curve?? Although I sincerely hope you don't need to lean on your newly gained knowledge again.

Just trying to work out exactly what the lesson is....

I just can't understand how fkin hard DOCEP are telling me it is

The answer to this Jaycee is hidden in the title.

It's the Department of Consumer and Employment Protection. You my friend, are not consuming anything. You are a supplier. Your Tenant was the consumer, and the Dept is there to help them, not you.

As you quickly found out, here ;

The idiots at DOCEP told me the wrong information apparently and hand delivered notices if the tenant is not acceptable.
So there goes my Notice of Termination out the window – oh, lady told me I sued the wrong form too, despite picking the right 9one and only changing to the form I sent out when DOCEP told me to)

This is just fkin great - Wait another bloody week now

Hard to do the right thin g when you’re given the wrong bloody advice.

My suggestion Jaycee is not to rely on calling anyone, nor DOCEP....but the small document that governs everything...the RTA. Everything you need to know, and nothing you don't need to know, is in that wee little book. If you are going to continue being a Landlord who doesn't employ a PM, you really need to know that little book cover to cover.

It's not very pleasant reading, and you'll probably have this attitude when you've finished ;

Why don't we just let the tenant live there free till end of lease in Feb next year without paying rent ? FFS

or this....

I feel really sorry for you Jaycee, unfortunately the tenants rights are protected from those evil landlords who might take advantage of their power, but the landlord has very few....

All in all Jaycee, there is nothing good in any of it, but to tell you truth, there will be people on here who would say that you are quite lucky, cos it could have been a whole lot worse. A single lady with a small child complaining to some Govt Authority about "safety issues"...real or perceived.....mate - your @$$ would be so far in the sling you wouldn't know which way to turn. Building legislation, health regulations, environmental regulations - they are all in your lap my friend. The cost and responsibility of complying with all of those and more is supposed to be all wrapped up in the high rent she is paying you.....assuming of course you are charging appropriately for all those.

Toxic stuff.

I reckon you got off extremely lightly Jaycee. She could of dug her heels in, refused to pay rent until you fixed up any phantom "safety issue" and you would have been shot straight out of the water.

Now you must choose whether you wish to spend a whole bunch of time / effort and money before you are in a position to play it all again.

What's your decision chief ??

Dazz,
The issue she wrote about was her ex boyfirende & father of her child. nothing to do with the and abit year old property against whch I hadn't heard a complaint from 2 tenants I've had including this one, and which was left undamaged. Not sure if you were alluding to somethign else or not

Wht am I going to do ?I am going to relet the place & get another tenant, whate else am I going to do ? Not much choice that I am aware of in my literal sitation, in theory thater's lots of things that would be better etc etc
We can go into my istuiation and options etc, I'd love to discuss it seriously, but I think that'sa whole other topic than this thread

There's nthin for me to spend.. insurance wil lpaay overdue rent after bond & the cleanup costs are minimal... Insurance willalso pay reletting costs, so what coice do I ahve rather than sell out (and endup with $0 or wrong the bank as this was a recent purchase and has not had coapital gains ).. So I guess it's lucky that the not much choice decisino I ahve to make wont' be costing me so much... If I was smart enough to do the intelligent thing and not get invovled like you're ppossibly alluding to in this malakia in the firt place, then we woud not need to have this conveeration anyway..... But we are wehere are and withthe circumstances that we are in.. so this is what I will have to deal with...

It just is what it is residential property investing..

Kathryn, as I said to belbo, I was making a joke in my reply to wylie.

I am gonig to clear out some crap today and ring a charity to take the rest tomorrow or whatever..

Back