Lateral thinking

I enrolled in uni last week and had to pay $4 for all-day parking. Unfortuately, the machines didn't accept credit card (coming soon) so I went to the shop and bought a $4 coffee to get some change from $20. The lady was quite abrupt stating,
"No, we don't give change for parking" and turned her back to make the coffee after giving me $16.

I thought about it for a while and instead of argueing, I purchased a banana for 0.90 and gave her a $5 note! The look on her face was priceless knowing she had to give me $4.10 change and knowing I could have paid with a $1 coin.

I understand that she doesn't want to give change all day but I was making a purchase, there was no-one else waiting and she had a draw full of change.

I thought about it for a while and instead of argueing, I purchased a banana for 0.90 and gave her a $5 note! The look on her face was priceless knowing she had to give me $4.10 change and knowing I could have paid with a $1 coin.

If she wanted to be nasty (and though her two dollar coins were more valuable than repeat custom) she could put bananas up to $1.10.

But if she was really smart she'd:

1. Put up the price of bananas to $1,
2. A coffee and muffin deal for $6, and maybe
3. Some sort of breakfast deal for $11

And advertise all these deals on a board outside the shop.

In all cases the customer can pay with any note and will get $4 change without asking.

Then she'd be lateral thinking as well as you!

It's a bit rough to be buying something and then denied the type of change you politely asked for.

Anyway, what are you doing at uni? Haven't you read the posts here about how useless it is? :rolleyes:

I hate petty officials who get a kick out of lording it over people.

You meet them in every walk of life. They seem to get a kick out of not helping people even though it is no skin off their nose. We have all met them.

I enrolled in uni last week and had to pay $4 for all-day parking. Unfortuately, the machines didn't accept credit card (coming soon) so I went to the shop and bought a $4 coffee to get some change from $20. The lady was quite abrupt stating,
"No, we don't give change for parking" and turned her back to make the coffee after giving me $16.

I understand that she doesn't want to give change all day but I was making a purchase, there was no-one else waiting and she had a draw full of change.

My parents had a similar policy in their shop with respect to parking, pay phones etc - but whenever the someone bought something, we had no problems giving change - its about keeping your customers happy!

THen again, maybe this shop keeper doesnt care? or hates students?

Then again, maybe this shop keeper doesnt care? or hates students?

....or is a very successful property investor and doesn't go there for her customer's or the business, but instead gets off toying with the minds of all of the little yo yo ma's of the world....

My parents had a similar policy in their shop with respect to parking, pay phones etc - but whenever the someone bought something, we had no problems giving change - its about keeping your customers happy!
Good policy... I totally understand her not giving change if there was no purchase.

I know where I will buy my coffee from next time!

Anyway, what are you doing at uni?
Doing my masters in nursing (2 years part-time).

....or is a very successful property investor and doesn't go there for her customer's or the business, but instead gets off toying with the minds of all of the little yo yo ma's of the world....
I think I had the last laugh... as a mature age student, I was very calm and even said thankyou.

Anyway, hopefully the machines will accept credit card soon.

I'd have said no worries sorry. Went to that other shop you have now chosen to go to instead and bought the banana there.

Acutally more annoying than that is the fact that you can get all day parking for $4/day !

hmmm question to ponder.....$4 per day parking (and the travel from home to bris)

Is this tax deductible as a "neccessary expense"...considering this is a deductible course because your furthering your education???

I wonder how much business this small thinking individual has lost due this kind of attitude. Like Joshyboi said, it is widely accepted that a shop may not provide change, but when the person asking is a customer it is a completely different thing.

Just make sure you have the change in future, so that you don't have to purchase anything from this shop.

Just pay for parking up front for the semester. When I studied part time at GU Nathan campus we all knew that the parking inspectors knocked off at 5.00pm so if all your lectures were at night you never had to pay for parking. When I went full time I just paid $90 per semester for parking rather than fiddle with change all the time.

yo yo ma

A friend of mine is a nurse studying at uni this year. As it is a requirement of her nurses board to do ongoing education each year she tells me it is tax deductible for employment purposes.

Slim:)

Back