Lawn-free courtyard on a 4x2 rear duplex?

Hi SSers,
So I'm at the point of pre-start meetings on my 4x2 rear duplex build on 375sqm in Bayswater WA. I have gone for a lawn-free (small) courtyard but got nervous when the builder seemed surprised and told me 'that will never rent to a family with no grass'. I beg to differ, but it got me thinking anyway, so I thought I'd get your opinions.

What I'm proposing is to scrap the lawn and have the (roughly 8x6m) courtyard as a small covered alfresco, paving (with a couple of small trees) and water wise low maintenance garden strip along the fence. My rational is that it will otherwise be too small a lawn area to be of much use and won't be maintained (too small to justify buying a lawn mower).

The target marker is a mix of families, double-couples and professional's sharehouse.

What are your thought? Put back the grass or keep the paving+garden?

You can use electric mowers for little to no fuss on small straight grass patches.

IMO I would not make a decision on the courtyard without speaking to around 3 good letting agents for the suburb or locality, no matter what anyone told me.

My vote is for grass - be it fake or real

Gwelup: I have a smaller size area of around 30sqm (4 x 7.5). In that I have the alfresco/patio then a square of fake lawn and 3 raised planter boxes - one 1m x 1m in corner than 500mm x 1m at right angles to it.

That gives a softness to the landscape, somewhere for kids/pets to play and still be low maintenance.

Westminster - 2 have a 3 x 3m square of real grass and that is major tenant drawcard. They love the feel of something green - it could have been fake - but they had easy access for a lawnmower which Gwelup doesn't.

I vote grass too.

My backyard is roughly 6 X 10 (plus some odd shaped bits)

I've been landscaping the yard for a while now (read years).

This is the before and after - (still a work in progress).

My lawn area is now about 3.5m x 5m and I love it.

Attachments

• Before 1.jpg
    Before 1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Before2.JPG
    Before2.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Nov backyard.JPG
    Nov backyard.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 70
+1 grass

If a tenant cant be bothered keeping 10sqm of lawn trimmed then they arent the kind of tenant you want

My current ppor was on the market 2 months with key sales holdup being the smallish stepped rear grass area, as its a 5br and families want larger yards with kids. If it had a larger flat yard would have sold in days.

I prefer groundcover. Here is a pic of my garden with groundcover that is frequently used by dogs and me as a path. It's never watered. The grass in the background is constantly watered and always high maintenance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 65
So having spoken to three property managers, the opinions are pretty strongly towards no-grass. Upkeep (both by tenant and landlord) being the main reason.

I totally agree that paving is less upkeep but I don't agree with it if you want a family demographic to rent it or to make it more appealing to your tenants.

Stand out from the crowd, offer something unique, make your villa more like a house.

Back