Lawn or astroturf

I'm building a 3 x 2 in Perth that is going to be an IP. I'm not a hands-on property manager/owner and detest maintenance work on my PPOR, let alone any IPs.

Looking for suggestions on whether to go with grass or astroturf on the front verge. My thinking is:

Saves on lawn mowing, fertilising, watering.

I don't want the hassle of negotiating with tenants on how much of the water bill (if any) I pay.

The retic ALWAYS breaks and requires constant fixing, maintenance, etc. I find this very annoying. Tenants tend to neglect to mention these things until they're ready to move out.

no need for a gardener

no annoying mower, whipper snipper noises

From my experiences, tenants hate/can't be bothered gardening and want something as low maintenance as possible. This may make the property more attractive to potential tenants.

many seem to rave about how grass-like contemporary astroturf looks. I must admit that it seems pretty convincing until you're really close nowadays

some claim that astroturf gets hot in summer. might be an issue when Perth has a week of 40+ degrees it tends to do in summer. Mind you, how many people do you see kicking a footy or doing anything on front lawns nowadays?

another pro of grass is that it offsets some carbon I guess (not match I imagine)

From my understanding, lawn is cheaper however when maintenance costs are factored in over the long run this may not be the case?

Anyone else have any views/experiences they'd care to share?

Back