laws regarding furniture that a tenant or ex left to pick up later

She seems to throw tempers and manipulate alot . Professionals have witnessed this. She manipulated him to put 'partner' on centrelink when they were never partners they were just trying to do their best in a shocking situation and see if they could make it work suddenly. She tried to coerce him to live far away interstate in a country town. She does alot of manipulating and we dont know if she has tried to live off others before and why in 35 years her debt isnt paid as she has been working in the past.

Professionals have said consistenly in the last months that she wont communicate calmly or respectfully, or cooperate with a budget, so they must live apart and from apart see if anything could improve, communication, or finances.

Noone is trying to milk a system, only see viable choices. Its not his debt, they were stupid but they werent partners. He has been advised that the numbers dont add up that even if she was easy to live with which she isnt, he cant cover all her costs and his own and aswell her debt. If he could cover costs and if she could communicate calmly, and work towards something its a different story. He has never run from supporting the baby and he would even support her and try to make it work like he has tried consistently for the last months, if he could and if she contributed something and communicated calmly without threats and manipulations and coercions and damaging his property if she doesnt get her way.

They are just trying to do their best and find their way in a bunch of shocks and questions and real limits. d. There are 2 tango ing and even if one seeks advice, seeks how to communicate calmly , seeks solutions it cant happen if 2 dont.

Something I have seen in many other similar stories I've since read is that even if others help the partner out of debt there is a pattern of these people to quickly get back into high debt. Its not something one can naively just take on, a person who swears shouts manipulates wont cooperate or communicate calmly, and wont work, contribute and pay debt, and cause maliscious damage and makes threats when they dont get their way.

Threads can start with one question but other related issues then arise.

I was referring to the woman about the debt.
It is hers, not his.
If she declares bankruptcy, IMO, that is milking the system.
She would just have another large debt asap, because she hasn't learned anything.

I'm more concerned about this child. If the woman has as many issues, as professionals have elluded to, she may not be the best full time parent for this child.

Hopefully "the male friend" would consider being sole parent....if he proves to be the more stable.

I think there may be an argument whether they 'have' to be considered defacto, but I'm basing this on similar laws of Canada...so I will leave it at that.

Why did professionals get involved??

Did they have to intervene because the woman friend has a debt??

Or does someone have 'problems' requiring professionals that you are not telling us about? Your friend perhaps?

It sounds like this situation has been made more complicated by all the players involved - couple who aren't sure if they're a couple, to the very concerned friend, to the professionals.

It would have been much simpler if this really was about some furniture :confused:.

Something I have seen in many other similar stories I've since read is that even if others help the partner out of debt there is a pattern of these people to quickly get back into high debt. Its not something one can naively just take on, a person who swears shouts manipulates wont cooperate or communicate calmly, and wont work, contribute and pay debt, and cause maliscious damage and makes threats when they dont get their way.

exactly - bankruptcy will clear the debts and as it's recorded on her CRA she sure won't get another loan. it will turn her life around

How much was the debt again ??

haha - my thought exactly. Add on another several noughts and we'd be talking huge ball park here.

As for the "whoops" moment. As a girlfriend always told her sons "every time you put it in, you run the risk" ... wise advice.

Anyhow ... everything else has been covered pretty much ... Westminster (post 31) was the most spot on. She needs to move out - work until the birth - then apply for the benefits ... and your friend needs to go for as much custody time as they can spare.

But - be careful of manipulation. Hubby's ex had him paying both maintenance AND support before I came on the scene and told him it was one or the other ... and then she spent every moment trying to grub for more money that she wasn't entitled to (and her household had a larger income than ours)

Last edited:
how can 2 people not handle a $35k debt?

Because Jason describes the woman as demonstrating many symptoms of a person who is mentally unstable. Work out for yourselves what is affecting Jason's friend. Aspergers anybody? Not that anyone is qualified to diagnose these things online. Just throwing it out there.

When I worked in family law (years ago) I recall a short conference with an 18 year old guy.

He'd slept with a girl in their group of friends (a one night stand). She wasn't a girlfriend. Probably something many of us have done at some time when we were young. The girl had fallen pregnant and was not considering an abortion.

His question:-

What are my obligations?

I needed to explain that the Child Support Agency would collect child maintenance from him (I think it was at 18% of gross income) until the child was 18 years.

I was about 15 years older than him at the time. I really felt like it could have happened to me on quite a few occasions.

Of course the girl is in the tougher situation. What a mess...but its also how many families start out.

Of course the girl is in the tougher situation.
Definitely from a physical/emotional perspective, but the girl/woman is also the only one with the ability to terminate the pregnancy. Both parties have the option to use preventative measures, but the man is the one (potentially) left paying child maintenance for 18 years against his will...

Because Jason describes the woman as demonstrating many symptoms of a person who is mentally unstable. Work out for yourselves what is affecting Jason's friend. Aspergers anybody? Not that anyone is qualified to diagnose these things online. Just throwing it out there.

Angel - people with Aspergers are not mentally unstable. Before you make blanket statements about people know what you are talking about.

Back