Lawyer / conveyancer recommendation?

Hi,

I engaged with a lawyer who started on a fixed quote, but understanding that it is urgent case, he is asking for 60% more fees. This is very frustating, given that he is holding my contract and we are close to exchange.

Since I am disappointed, I would like to switch my lawyer. Would it be wise at this stage?

Any quick recommendation for a good lawyer / conveyancer (Sydney based) who can act upon the contract very quickly? It will be good to know the expected charges for the services.

It is a standard Landcom - land purchase agreement, as such.

Feel free to PM me.

cheers
r.

Hi,

I engaged with a lawyer who started on a fixed quote, but understanding that it is urgent case, he is asking for 60% more fees.

If its a fixed quote you agreed on then he would know its a fixed price..

If you changed the ground rules (ie asked for priority process) after your agreement with him then you have changed the terms of the agreement and as such the original fixed price become null & void.

If however your priority requirements are contained with the fixed price agreement terms then he is breach.

Can you confirm which of the above is the case?

Paul Denny from Paul Denny and Associates Lane Cove has served me well over the years.

Note that he is a conveyancer and not a solicitor.

Song of Joy - this is normal for a solicitor/conveyancer to advise there will be more fees to do something more urgent. It means that all the other matters they are working on need to be dropped and you pushed to the top of the queue. They normally pay a staff member extra time also to cover the urgency of your work to ensure its done properly. Im sure if you were in the queue and pushed back you would not be happy. I think that you stick with your solicitor. Most solictiros wont take on pre exchange work from another lawyer and certaintly not a conveyancer if they didnt start the work the liability is to much. But if you are pushing it and want a recommendation i recommend Michael Storey.

Hi,

I engaged with a lawyer who started on a fixed quote, but understanding that it is urgent case, he is asking for 60% more fees. This is very frustating, given that he is holding my contract and we are close to exchange.

Since I am disappointed, I would like to switch my lawyer. Would it be wise at this stage?

Any quick recommendation for a good lawyer / conveyancer (Sydney based) who can act upon the contract very quickly? It will be good to know the expected charges for the services.

It is a standard Landcom - land purchase agreement, as such.

Feel free to PM me.

cheers
r.

Back