Laying Besser blocks

Can any one offer any advice on laying besser blocks. Any good books or URL's?

Im in the very early stages of planning an outdoor kitchen. I will be working off a good size slab.

Cheers

Hi Jay,

If it is for outdoor kitchen, look at using hebel blocks.

They are very good and light (can even cut with hand saw):)

I saw the "better Homes and Garden' guys build an outdoor kitchen from hebel blocks and looks great. (do a search on the channel 9 site and should come up with segment).

I used besser block for retaining wall (acting as structural wall ) to retain a metre of backfill, so engineering blocks were required.

If it is a outdoor kitchen, I would use hebel.

Cheers,

F

Yes I saw that episode on BH&G it looked much easier and price was good - Our local bunnings was selling Hebel too - it should be in a back issue about Aug 09

Thanks people. I will check the hebel blocks out.

It should be an interesting project, especially up here in the wet the heat the flies the cyclones ......

Cheers

I went with Partition Blocks, not as wide as Besser Blocks, same height and length but only a standard brick width. $2.40 each which worked out cheaper than Hebel. Easy to lay, just setup your string lines level and use a level to make sure your wall is straight up and down not slanty.

The big opening goes on the bottom and the narrow opening goes at the top so your mortar doesn't fall into the block cavity.

You can use a weight string line to check up and down slant. With a kitchen you are probably only going about 4 bricks high.

It's good fun doing work that you don't normally do, and the prep work is the important stuff, get your prep work right and it makes the laying easier and quicker.

Cheers

Thanks people. I will check the hebel blocks out.

It should be an interesting project, especially up here in the wet the heat the flies the cyclones ......

Cheers

Speaking of wet, remember that hebel is porous. It will suck up water if you don't waterproof it.

Back