laying tiles and the widow maker

hello
Almost finished painting the house, hopefully be ready to lay some tiles on the weekend.
I decided on 50cm by 50cm porcelien tiles. Last weekend I had my trusty $120 GMC tile saw out, and was cutting all the borders from full size tiles, at the time I was thinking there must be a better way.
Well I was walking through bunnings as I sometimes do, when what I believe now was devine intervention guided me towards isle 7, where sitting there was a 2HP water cooled proffessional diamond saw, capable of ripping 50cm tiles, well of course I handed over the $1399 required, and placed it in the back seat of the barina, feeling extremely happy that I now have a tile saw more powerful than my car.
I havne't cut any tiles with it yet, as Ive been sitting there looking at it, knowing that I will never see it this clean again.
One question keeps coming into my head, am I in this for the capital gain and rental income, or is it really just a way that I can justify owning all these large powerful exciting tools, and to be honest I cannot answer the question.

Funnily enough, some of our other members have owned up to similar feelings - duncan_m is one (another Adelaidean !!). If you do a search on threads that Dunc has posted in, you will probably find some similar discussions.

The answer generally is... the power tools is what does it - investing is only an excuse. There's no point in fighting it.

Originally posted by adaran01
hello
or is it really just a way that I can justify owning all these large powerful exciting tools, and to be honest I cannot answer the question.

Adam, I hear ya buddy! Don't hold back now ya hear.. he who dies with the most cool tools wins!

Every maintenance job I do on our burgeoning property portfolio (double digits now!) I'm thinking "there's gotta be a new tool I need for this job!"

Lately, I've discovered the joy of sockets and spanners, I'm now collecting all of the cool little adaptors and doohickies, corners turners, extensions, breaker bars, ratchets etc :) You would not believe how many there are, I nearly have the full set. On the weekend I saw some cool ratchet spanners, I'm going to start getting those next.

As each maintenance job now entails large toolboxes etc I decided its time to get a Truck to help manage the property business, damn I'm such a bad business person I bought an old Bedford that needs a full restoration.. whoops, lots more tools required!! hmmm MIG Welder.. droool...

Check out the progress of our new Property Maintenance Truck "Edford the Bedford" at :

http://tinyurl.com/5r8c

Regards,

Dunc.

Hi Dunc

I liked your photos of Edford the Bedford, good luck- it will have a lot of style when finished.

Funny thing is one of my neighbours is restoring her old Bedford Truck, turning it into a full horse float like yours was when you first bought it !! (complete with remote loading gate for the horses, sleeping area, and mini kitchen)

Small world !!

PS the sleeping area and mini kitchen is for our neighbours not for the horses (wink wink)

Regards Simon H

:)

Originally posted by Simon H
Hi Dunc
Funny thing is one of my neighbours is restoring her old Bedford Truck, turning it into a full horse float like yours was when you first bought it !! (complete with remote loading gate for the horses, sleeping area, and mini kitchen)

Doh! We should have swapped, I had a Bedford WITH a Horsebox and she had one WITHOUT!

Small world indeed, there's even a great Yahoo Bedford Group thats quite active, amazing how unifying the Internet is.

Cheers, Duncan.

Duncan

Thats life for you !!- I bet Wendy would have swapped.

The internet is amazing, I dont know how I could live without it any more it sure does bring people together.

I still suffer from withdraw when I miss the forum for more than a few days!!

Regards
Simon H

;)

Hi Duncan
I think the last time I met you, you had 3 properties, now you say double digits, all I can say is well done. (I thought I had been busy).
Regards Adam

Hello
Porcelian tiles are much harder than ceramic and generally carry the colour all the way through the tile, (ie: black is totaly black). I think most ceramic tiles are clay based.
The porcelian tiles I bought , and I'm pretty sure most others, have a sharp lip on the edge, unlike ceramic tiles that have softer lip. This apparently makes laying porcelian tiles harder because even a slight difference in height, or gap, from one tile to another will be much more noticable. Porcelain tiles do not need wide grout lines because they do not expand and contract like ceramics (something to do with porosity).
I hopefully will be laying them this weekend so I will post wether it went well or was a complete disaster.
My tiles are white 50cm by 50cm (big) and cost me $35 sqm from tile wizards.
Regards Adam

Originally posted by adaran01
Hi Duncan
I think the last time I met you, you had 3 properties, now you say double digits, all I can say is well done. (I thought I had been busy).
Regards Adam

It's been an intense couple of years.. I think we had more than 3 last time we met which I think was at the inaugural Paystylers Meeting?

I think we focus on the Quantity of IP's too much sometimes, its the quality, equity etc that we need to look at it.. but its kinda nice to see peoples jaws drop when they ask "how many do you have" and they get a straight answer back..

You look to have turned into a one man renovation team!

Trust you've weathered the Tech Wreck OK?

We should catch up again at some point and compare our tools.. err you know what I mean I'm sure.

Cheers, Duncan.

Back