Leaking fridge has damaged bamboo flooring

A friend of mine, who's currently renting, has realised their fridge is leaking and has damaged the bamboo flooring. They've also been given grief (by the builder, who I think came to look at the damage) for using a steam mop on the bamboo flooring but they were not given any specific instructions.

So she's wondering what they will be obliged to fix. Just under the fridge or more if it turns out using a steam mop has caused more damage?

(as a side note, bamboo flooring seems like a PITA!)

Hi Serendip, if the floorboards are damaged then the tenants will be liable for fixing the damage or compensating the owner. Most steam mops come with a warning not to use them on timber, floating timber/bamboo type floors in the user manual, the tenants would find it hard to argue that 'they didn't know' given this. I would say they may be up for a significant expense if they have damaged the floors. My opinion is any timber or floating timber floors in an investment property are going to be a PITA as they are hard for tenants to maintain and can easily be damaged and are expensive to repair.

Thanks.

The builders have just turned up with the installers, apparently they weren't installed properly & it's not just the fridge damage. The builder apparently advised the owner against installation as it's such a humid climate. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I'll let her know about the steam mop.

tenants are not liable unless it is deliberate or through deliberate neglect, ...and they would have contents insurance, and it would be for cover for theit personal stuff. ...if there is no damage to any of their stuff, then the policy wont cover them if they get sued..

Back