Leaking shower - Megasealed?

ethics

HI all wow guys and girls there are some honest shower repair comanys around,I know i own two sorry for not replying sooner been busy.sealing showers the proper way. as for Meg-----------!!!!!!!!sorry we see and fix there work all the time..... Please dont start me talking.

sabre said:
HI all wow guys and girls there are some honest shower repair comanys around,I know i own two sorry for not replying sooner been busy.sealing showers the proper way. as for Meg-----------!!!!!!!!sorry we see and fix there work all the time..... Please dont start me talking.

Sabre
Are you advertising?

Specifically how do you permanently rectify the fundamental problems the Building Services Authority says cause leaking showers? Because the BSA seems to think that the causes are usually UNDER the tiles.

How can a chemical (assuming that is what you use) applied to the exterior surface of tiles and grout fix a membrane under the tiles that has been damaged by floor movement?

Lplate

Lplate

You are correct in the importance of floor preperation.
The movement in the elevated homes is quite large. Wet season to dry season. One crack on the floor was at the join of the ply originally put down.
The Certifyer did say the importance of correct floor prep.
The main leak problem was a cracked tile in the bath which without water proofing underneath caused seepage.

Well the dry season is here now and so the doors have contracted to normal and can open/shut freely (YES !!!) But by next wet well have to do the door shave task. :D

Regards

megaseal- any advice??

Hi, I just had my shower cubicle megasealed and they charged me $850- it's a small shower cubicle and they megasealed the floor, showerhead/tap area as well as the shower door. I was shocked at the price (unfortunately I wasn't present when the quote was given) as it's only approx. 1m x 1m. It took the guy less than 2 hrs to do and as I am not too familar with the product, I can't help feeling that I got ripped off!! Can anyone advice me on how much it should've costed, if I was overcharged etc??? How much does it usually cost to megaseal the shower area (inside the cubicle only)??

Thanks!

I've currently got two showers with this problem. :(

I spoke to a tiler mate and he wasn't too positive about the mega**** route.

He said with what they charge, and the shorter time it takes, it would be MUCH more profitable for him to do this too. He won't though as he thinks it is a poor, short-term solution .

:)

Last edited:
I think that leaking showers must be the most prevelant problem in the restoration of older homes. The leaks can go on for years, causing wood to rot and leaving that terrible damp smell. It will also encourage termites.

I have used fibreglass shower stalls made by Marbletrend and have largely solved the problem. They may not have the glamour that tiled shower stalls have but they just can't leak. Walls can shift and concrete pads can move and these stalls remain watertight.

As in any plumbing situation you have to ensure that the taps are working properly and I think that many people fail to check these regularly. Often, after many years of service, the 'o' ring may go on the tap spindle. This will allow a steady trickle of water into the wall cavity.

We try to use white tiles in the the surround to compliment the white of the 'stall' and with a glass door they look great. Best of all they will not leak!

Jas H said:
Hi, I just had my shower cubicle megasealed and they charged me $850- it's a small shower cubicle and they megasealed the floor, showerhead/tap area as well as the shower door. I was shocked at the price (unfortunately I wasn't present when the quote was given) as it's only approx. 1m x 1m. It took the guy less than 2 hrs to do and as I am not too familar with the product, I can't help feeling that I got ripped off!! Can anyone advice me on how much it should've costed, if I was overcharged etc??? How much does it usually cost to megaseal the shower area (inside the cubicle only)??

Thanks!

Jas H

If you are wondering if you were ripped off it would be useful to read the earlier stuff in this thread and visit this link (Govt building site):

Leaking Showers - Building Standards Authority*

I believe it wouldn't have cost much more to re-do the waterproof membrane and re-tile in a tradesmanlike manner (as recommended by the BSA).

LPlate

*Sorry, link may not work, go here http://www.bsa.gov.au and search for 'shower'.

Great thread

Guys the timing of me reading all 2 pages of this is awesome. Im of to Brizzy to check out options for a complete redo for a job in Kingston on one of our offending showers. As you guessed it the leaky bastards have been"fixed" twice before and it seems to me that quicky contractors when building means slow repairs and the need for big pockets.

Got a quote for everseal of $1595.00. For 1/2 the job with no allowance for the real pull out option quoted anywhere.

Touchy thing is we have a deaf tenant who is obviously hard to chat to about options for her not showering for a few days while all is fixed.

Ho Hum, its off to work I go......

DD1

I have found the easiest and ultimately the cheapest option is to buy a Prelude shower system from www.decina.com.au They are easy to install (I put my own in and just used a plumber for the taps and waste attachments) and are only a bit over $1000 to purchase. There is a supplier in Brisbane and the access is easy for just a car and trailer. Full diagramed instructions are supplied with the system.

DD1 said:
Touchy thing is we have a deaf tenant who is obviously hard to chat to about options for her not showering for a few days while all is fixed.

DD1,

You could get her a Porta-Shower (similar to a Porta-Loo) for a coupla days.

A86

Or...My brother in law and brother are builders, [pretty fussy and particular about their quality of work, who they use etc], and they have been discussing www.flexitray.citysearch.com.au ...they use it/like it/and are happy with it. It is a waterproofing membrane. We have not personally used it so far, but will do... if we get our refinancing in order!

our obsession said:
Or...My brother in law and brother are builders, [pretty fussy and particular about their quality of work, who they use etc], and they have been discussing www.flexitray.citysearch.com.au ...they use it/like it/and are happy with it. It is a waterproofing membrane. We have not personally used it so far, but will do... if we get our refinancing in order!

our obsession
There are various liqiuid membranes including fibreglass which I prefer (not that my preferences matter). But I think if you read the independent Govt building regulators in Qld (BSA site given above), failure of waterproofing in showers and wet areas goes beyond providing a suitable membrane.

It appears that problems with showers and wet areas are prevalent because builders and repairers cut corners in many areas during construction. For example, the supporting structure might not be suitable through movement.

As a consumer it is very hard to come to terms with the fact that it is not compulsory for builders to comply with the Building Code, nor with Australian Standards and manufacturers' installation guides when building a house. For example, I contacted the BSA about the lack of a damp course in a brick veneer building under construction and was told they they couldn't do anything - they had to wait until it was finished (practical completion) and THEN see if damp problems ensued and could be proved!

What is the point of having a Building Code and Standards if Govt inspectors are not permitted to be proactive in ensuring they are complied with?

Exactly L Plate, that was their thoughts, shortcuts being taken and the ramifications down at the end of the line.. they are horrified at the things some people get away with. I guess that could apply to all our walks of life, there is always some dude wanting to take the shortcut to save themself..[they think!], a buck/or time/or trouble. You gotta have eyes in the back of your head.

Thanks!

I had a guy come over and give me a quote for megasealing " Apply mgaseal to wall/floor wall/wallJoints; regrout or seal walls and floor; service taps & shower - screen" $ 425
another shower " as per above + reglue floor tiles - customer to supply" $ 665.

he mentioned 12 year guarantee for the product but not for the leaks.

I also have a quote from another water proofing guy who rips the bottom tiles about 1 feet and places a copper plate (specially desined to have no joints ) on top of the existing floor tiles. then tiles on top of the copper tray with membrane.
This done by removing the shower screen.

I have seen the model of this and it was technically sound.
Cost $ 1600.00.

Not to be trusted

A 12-year guarantee is only as good as the firm that makes it. Our shower began to leak again and we called them out. They claimed structural change had caused the new leak (rather than their bad work) and refused to make it good. I used them as a quick, cheap fix, but the guarantee was a huge selling point. I'd never use them again.

A 12-year guarantee is only as good as the firm that makes it. Our shower began to leak again and we called them out. They claimed structural change had caused the new leak (rather than their bad work) and refused to make it good. I used them as a quick, cheap fix, but the guarantee was a huge selling point. I'd never use them again.

This is EXACTLY what happened with us- though I knew deep down that the megaseal would only be a bandaid solution. Our leak went through to the back of our BIR and the timber ended up being very wet- $4K later, we had a waterproof new shower, floor and walls!!

For a rental I would generally go the self contained units, i.e. shower base, screen and acrylic walls. You still need the waterproofing but its much easier to keep clean, no grouting to fail and incredibly cheap and eay to do yourself. Complete 900x900 units can be purchased for about $900 and can be fitted by the average handyman in about a day. All you have to wait for is the glue on the acrylic to set. These are perfectly functional and what's more, you cant knock a tile off!! The downside - if you do have a leak you will have to pull the acrylic walls off, however these are only a couple of hundred bucks to replace which is very similar to retiling and much easier to do yourself and finish up with a respectable looking finished product.

I had a shower floor pulled out, re-done and re-tiled in April 2003, in Sydney West, and it cost me $1,298.00. It took 3 days to complete.

5 years later... It needs doing again !!!
Not sure what has happened yet, but it has the same problem again. I think I'll look into Brenda Irwins suggestion of the "Prelude shower system from www.decina.com.au".

5 years later... It needs doing again !!!
Not sure what has happened yet, but it has the same problem again. I think I'll look into Brenda Irwins suggestion of the "Prelude shower system from www.decina.com.au".

Did he put a fibreglass or similar membrane in before laying the tiles? Have you had a chat with the BSA? Although the BSA are said to be diplomats - look fierce but absolutely useless. They can't even be proactive on meeting the Building Code, from stories I have heard.

I have just received a quote of $6k plus to do a small shower floor, tiny shower alcove toilet floor. membrane and new tiles and wall liner. Probably a reasonable price if the work is done well, but to me it is expensive.

Did he put a fibreglass or similar membrane in before laying the tiles? Have you had a chat with the BSA? Although the BSA are said to be diplomats - look fierce but absolutely useless. They can't even be proactive on meeting the Building Code, from stories I have heard.

I have just received a quote of $6k plus to do a small shower floor, tiny shower alcove toilet floor. membrane and new tiles and wall liner. Probably a reasonable price if the work is done well, but to me it is expensive.

$6,000 !!! Ouch. I'm waiting for the agent to get me some quotes. I'm not sure what exactly was done last time, but I assumed it would have been done correctly. The question I now see, is what is determined by the word "Correctly".

Back