Leaking valve maintenance cost

Hi All,

Can anyone please suggest me who is responsible to pay for the bathroom plumbing maintenance in the investment property ?

Should I pay for this type of repair and then claim for EOFY tax deduction or shall I ask the Land Lord Insurance to cover this type of claim or the body corporate should be able to pay for this type of issue ?

Here's the background: Upon further inspection by my property manager, he reported that the leak was from leaking toilet cisterns inlet valve and then new inlet valve was supplied and installed by the plumber organized by the Property Agent (leaking tap was also repaired) and now the property manager said that $462.50 must be paid by me not by the body corporate.

The tenant complained that the carpet in the walk in is damp plus there is mould on the lounge room ceiling the size of 30cm.

as the landlord - it's your responsibility. end of story

if this was in victoria, and you got a plumbing certificate - you can take it with the plumber or report him to the plumbing commission.

I am assuming that this IP is a unit. The Body Corporate would not be responsible for the repair of your inlet valve in your cistern, this is a fixture owned by you.

As for the damage, who caused it? The plumber? If so, then tell the PM to deduct any repair (carpet deodorising/ceiling patching/painting etc) from the plumber.

If the carpet is wet, why is there mould on the ceiling?

The damage may be claimable through your insurer but the repair of the valve may not be as it is probably wear & tear.

I am assuming that this IP is a unit. The Body Corporate would not be responsible for the repair of your inlet valve in your cistern, this is a fixture owned by you.

As for the damage, who caused it? The plumber? If so, then tell the PM to deduct any repair (carpet deodorising/ceiling patching/painting etc) from the plumber.

If the carpet is wet, why is there mould on the ceiling?

The damage may be claimable through your insurer but the repair of the valve may not be as it is probably wear & tear.

Well the mould is on the ceiling of the kitchen which is underneath the bathroom.

The carpet is on the adjacent of the bathroom.

I agree with Scott with no Mates haha great name.

I'd say that the mould and damp carpet is due tot he leaking toilet and therefor it is your responsibility.

Generally speaking I would have gone to the body corp for mould on ceiling and damp carpet but it would appear its too obvious that is was caused by your bathroom problem.

Good luck.

I agree with Scott with no Mates haha great name.

I'd say that the mould and damp carpet is due tot he leaking toilet and therefor it is your responsibility.

Generally speaking I would have gone to the body corp for mould on ceiling and damp carpet but it would appear its too obvious that is was caused by your bathroom problem.

Good luck.

Thanks Michael, I was wondering if this falls under the water damage cause which can be covered under the building insurance that is included with the quarterly strata levies.

Only if the source of the water was coming from outside of the unit eg unit above or through the roof or broken pipework. If not, it is your problem to cover.

Only if the source of the water was coming from outside of the unit eg unit above or through the roof or broken pipework. If not, it is your problem to cover.

Yep agree.

I look at this way, it was a problem that was unforeseeable you might be able to claim insurance.

If it was due to pipe work, roof that was not part of your property (not inside your walls basically speaking) than its body corp.

If its within your walls (generally speaking) its your responsibility.

I would not say I'm a pro on this one but that's what I have found over some of my dealings.

Back