Learning something new everyday

Today I learnt from one of my clients (WA Builders Registration Board who deal with licensing and investigating of Builders), that an owner-built property can not be sold within the first 3 years of completion without permission.

Anyone else learn something new today? Or strive to learn new things regularly?

As someone under 50 years of age, this is embarassing to admit! I learnt the other day what wireless internet is. :D

I thought for my laptop to be able to connect to internet I had to have one of those USB things and an account with an ISP. I found out that my laptop I have had for almost two years automatically connects to wireless connections without me needing to do anything. And that's what WIFI is in McDonalds, hotels etc. that I see advertised all over the place that people can use for free. :eek:

Still haven't tried it, but this is what I'm told. Technology is moving too fast for me, a sign of old age? :(

I'm happy for technology to race past me. I don't strive to be more connected or do things faster than I do now.

I've got a confession, too, I have no idea what 'blue ray' is. And I don't really care.

Back to the original post:

that an owner-built property can not be sold within the first 3 years of completion without permission.

Who has to give permission?

Pfft hardly an age thing Biggles; different people are just interested in different things.

Blue ray is just the next DVD, just like DVD was the next VCR who was the next Beta. It's called that because the player uses a blue laser to read the disc (I think DVD had a red one?). It physically looks the same as a DVD, just has a much higher capacity. I think they're just trying to come up with more new stuff so they can sell more players now that DVD player sales will be drying.

Bluetooth on the other hand has nothing to do with the colour. It's a very rough English translation of a name of some Scandinavian who united different groups of people together. It's basically just a radio-wave communication between devices, most commonly between 2 mobile phones, or a mobile phone to hands- free kit. People also use bluetooth USB cards to pick up Wi-FI networks or to connect a computer to a printer without cables.

Hope that helps. :)

You've just blown my mind with all the techno-speak dtraeger :D

I need to go have a lie down & try & absorb it all :eek:

...so yes, now I have learnt something new today, so thank you :)

Today I learnt from one of my clients (WA Builders Registration Board who deal with licensing and investigating of Builders), that an owner-built property can not be sold within the first 3 years of completion without permission.

Anyone else learn something new ??

The BRB is certainly an interesting place. That, and it's controlling building legislation in WA (1939).

I had cause to investigate when a dodgy "builder" with over 17 years experience....but none as a registered builder, told me 'No worries mate, we'll build your shed for you.....you simply apply to the Council as an Owner Builder and we'll then do the work for ya.'

It took all of 2 hours of reading legislation / phoning the BRB / digging around at council to determine what he was telling me was completely unlawful and a complete crock.

There is only a very small gap in the 1939 legislation that permits owner builders to do anything at all. It must have something to do with residing, as that is the only exemption afforded by the legislation. No residing component - like a simple shed - no exemption. BRB told me the "builder" was full of ****.

When confronted with the paperwork and truth, the "builder" simply said....'well bugger me, I dunno anything about that nonsense, all I know is that hundreds of clients have applied successfully and I've built lots of sheds for 'em...no worries.'

I don't particularly like being led up the garden path by someone with supposedly 17 years experience in the game, when 2 hours of thorough checking exposes them as completely fraudulent. I guess builders, or more importantly unregistered builders, don't know diddly squat about the paperwork.

It's all good until the wall falls down and crushes the neighbours kids.

Thinking of building a 800K 2 storey monstrosity as an owner builder and don't know a thing - no problem, go for your life - knock yourself out. Try and build a 30K shed in the back corner - all stop....you're not qualified. Doesn't make sense to me but that's the law.

The BRB produces a handy little table as to what owner builder's can do, and what they cannot do.

The BRB produces a handy little table as to what owner builder's can do, and what they cannot do.

so contradictory.

if you, as an owner-builder, construct an outbuilding as part of a larger, overall site plan (house, garage, shed, pool etc) where does that leave you....?

where does that leave you....?

If it doesn't have a residential....or more specifically in the legislation, a "dwelling" component, then it leaves you up **** creek without a paddle my friend.

No dwelling component exemption - no can do. Cost / size / complexity is irrevelant. Good huh !!!

Back