Lease Back

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am looking to buy my first purpose bought IP.
I have found one I like in a high growth area with good returns.

It is a house that a builder has built but wants to lease back for 18months with the option of a further 1 after that at 7%.

to me this looks good but my MB has stated
"I am thinking it is a display home or something similar in which case the loan to value ratio is reduced by funders."

is this true and if so why???
The way I see it, it is a house that has a tenant for 18months. All maintenance will be done by the tenant and there is no need for me to hire a PM during that time.

Hi Monty

Some lenders see it as commercial but your MB should know which lenders would be less restrictive - which area are you looking at? Also don't think about it for too long, to my cost in the past I have found that display homes don't stay on the market for long! It doesn't hurt to put in an EOI whilst you do your due diligence.

Yep sounds like a display home. I have some near me for sale with rent of 7% when most houses in the area are between 4-6%. They're asking about $75K more than what I think they're worth plus on really small blocks.

Yes these properties are normally over priced for the area. But, after 2.5 years when the estate is built up you could probably add another 20- 30% to the valuation which more than takes care of the $75k.

Cheers,

Bazza

Back