Leasing - Mixed Bag

No word from our biggest Tenants. They need to get back to me by the end of the month whether they wish to extend or not. I've got a tiger by the tail with that one, whch could bite us badly if they leave.....all I can say is Boards of big companies take soooo long to make a decision, it's painful.

ooooohhhh yeah baby.....I'm dancing in the streets this arvo.....

Just received the official letter from our biggest Tenants confirming they wish to stay and exercise their 3 year option. U bewdy !!!! That's that sorted 'til Jan 2015.

Now it's just a case of shuffling the market review off to the lawyers and they can argy-bargy on my behalf.

Phew - if they had of left, it wouldn't of sunk the ship, but it would of seriously blown the stern clean orf...now we get to steam ahead full bore.

This game we play is all about taking measured risks.

I guess you win some and you lose some.....the trick in this game, like Kerry Packer used to say, is to make sure your wins are bigger than your losses.

This is better than winning lotto. :D :D :D

ooooohhhh yeah baby.....I'm dancing in the streets this arvo.....

Just received the official letter from our biggest Tenants confirming they wish to stay and exercise their 3 year option. U bewdy !!!! That's that sorted 'til Jan 2015.

Now it's just a case of shuffling the market review off to the lawyers and they can argy-bargy on my behalf.

Phew - if they had of left, it wouldn't of sunk the ship, but it would of seriously blown the stern clean orf...now we get to steam ahead full bore.

I guess you win some and you lose some.....the trick in this game, like Kerry Packer used to say, is to make sure your wins are bigger than your losses.

This is better than winning lotto. :D :D :D

Congrats mate.

I think you mentioned previously you plan to fill all the leases and then on-sell. Is this still the go? How big a mark-up would 'fully-let' add to the value?

Sorry to be a Grammar Nazi, but that fourth paragraph is terrible.

What happens now though? Do you try to put another 3 (or 5 (or 10 :p)) year option on?

Hi locko - no mate, this one is industrial, so she's a keeper. The one that is getting the chop is retail.

Sorry to be a Grammar Nazi, but that fourth paragraph is terrible.

Coolo...with the dosh at stake with the big Tenant, I'm happy to write like grossreal. Count yourself lucky I use any punctuation or grammar at all.

What happens now though? Do you try to put another 3 (or 5 (or 10 :p)) year option on?

Cannot la. The lease was a 7+3...that's it. We're 6.5 years into the first term and as with a Lease, if the Tenant complies with everything in there, and wishes to take up the extra term, the Landlord must comply.

....however, like everything in life, as mature and sensible adults, we can always agree to some other contract, tear up the old one and start afresh.

Contracts can always be changed / annulled / altered if both parties agree in writing.

Congrats Dazz! Have an extra strong cup of tea for us - with some extra sugar even - or perhaps a choccie milk is in order? :)

We just got wind of a 2 year lease extension to the govt for our K-town place today so we're feeling pretty happy too! Had an irreparable puncture on the bike on the way to work as well and had to walk a fair way this morning - just to even out the karma I guess... I can live with that trade off!

Yes we're learning all about that at the moment. Have to make myself completely forget about investing until (or if!) our anchor tenant exercises their option. A calculated risk for sure and all we can do is wait it out... might focus on some backyard reno projects or something else in the meantime. It's a completely binary outcome. I can also see the cycle clearer now - we go full steam on the delayed gratification to build up the buffers in case it goes to custard and then if/when it all comes good we take the buffer we built and go and invest it all - so the delayed gratification never really stops. But for me it's all about loosening those job shackles - that would be plenty of gratification if and when we get to that point.

Haha... Can can. Boleh la. Play it cool with the reverse psychology game. Wait a few months. Oh btw, how does this new lease sound? You don't need them. :D

A calculated risk for sure and all we can do is wait it out... It's a completely binary outcome.

Cheers matey....yes it is indeed. They either stay or leave, there's no such thing as half way....unless you've got multiple Tenants. It's the downside of having only one Tenant - easy to manage when they are there, but you miss 'em when they leave.

Not too dissimiliar to sliding a great wad of cash onto the red option on the roulette wheel and crossign your fingers. Haven't felt the deflation when black turns up, but boy oh boy I felt the elation when red turned up a coupme of days ago.

What's interesting for me is, the big companies involved are so nonchalant about it all. It doesn't affect them personally. They either stay there as their workplace or they go someplace else. No big deal. For you as the personal Owner, this stuff is life changing. I honestly don't think they quite realise the big deal it is when a Tenant decides to rent your box for a further term.

This particular box is the 4 acre shed, so there aren't too many of them around. The Tenants have been there since '72 I think, about the time I was born, so it would cost them a fair old bit to up stumps and shift their operations to another shed - if they could find another one as big....probably $ 1.5 million I reckon, so that is a good barrier for me to exploit. She's not like a house where a couple of hours, a couple of mates and a truck has them gone. This would be a six month exodus at least.

Anyway, over the moon right now. We've played it really smart for the very first time tax wise. Paid a bunch of expenses, as much as we could prior to EOFY, and then yesterday distributed a bunch of funds via the trusts, so we won't have to pay tax on any of that money 'til May '13. Finally getting the hang of this investing caper.

always a great read Dazz, punctation and grammar were excellent too. congratulations!!

lunch is on ya next time you are in melbourne :)

Fantastic news Dazz...
I always like hearing the "it's business as usual" stories when it comes time to re-lease...

I hope the rest of your fin-year pans out ever better than it started..

cheers

B.D

Cheers BD and Mike,

Was out at the shopping centre all day yesterday. It was a fine day, so up on the roof with Dad repairing small holes / leaks in the big box gutters. The amazing job the thin tin does is quite staggering. We get a small shower that dumps 1cm of rain, and the roof needs to choof off 41 tonnes of water in a hurry.....still, that's better than our Adelaide shed. That thing collects 138 tonnes of water when 1cm falls. Thank the Lord the Tenant needs to deal with that, not us.

Well, we are all waiting for Coles' decision....apparently they had their board meeting yesterday to decide on new Tenancies, and our shop was one of them. They aren't taking a big area, only 220sqm, but it is potent in terms of rent and will naturally attract others to the centre, so good for business. Should attract a lower cap rate when we flog it off as well, so quite important. If they so no, we'll dust ourselves off and look for somewhere else.

I've palmed the Liquor licence application off to a well recommended tourist / marketing organisation whose sole job is to hustle applications through the Department of Racing / Gaming and Liquor. They started quoting minutae of the Liquor Act at me, so I palmed it off to the experts. I've got enough Acts to look over and digest, I don't need another one. We are trying to wrestle the licence off the ratbag ex-tenant who left before we bought the place. It's worth upwards of 300K to the property, so hopefully should be able to squeeze that past the post in July.

Having quite a good run at the moment, every Tenant in the fleet (bar two minor shops) paid their rent for July no later than the 2nd, so cashflows are looking mightily healthy.....maybe time for another judicial trust 'distribution'....hahaha, we live for them. :)

Palmed off the stubborn sheds (been empty 20 months now) to yet another agency to have a crack at. The demolition guy thought they were too expensive, and preferred to drive an extra hour out to whoop whoop every day for something cheaper. Good luck with that !!

Signed all the paperwork yesterday with the listing agent to flog off our residential property. It struggles to rent for 3K gross per month, and the proceeds of the sale will cancel mortgages that we are currently paying 8K per month on, so a small step in the right direction. I'll get this X-coll monkey off my back soon enough.

We are slowly starting to head in the right direction of no responsibility, plenty of rights, plenty of cashflow and no hassles. Gotta be happy when a plan comes together....now this is what property investing is supposed to be, the "assets" looking after the Landlord, not the other way around.

Signed all the paperwork yesterday with the listing agent to flog off our residential property. It struggles to rent for 3K gross per month, and the proceeds of the sale will cancel mortgages that we are currently paying 8K per month on, so a small step in the right direction. I'll get this X-coll monkey off my back soon enough.
Nice! Good luck with sale.

Palmed off the stubborn sheds (been empty 20 months now) to yet another agency to have a crack at.

Well that was short and sweet.

Paid $ 700 for two enormously big stonking signs to be placed front and centre outside the properties. Two sheds on over an acre.

New agent called on Tuesday morning to say he had lined up two groups, strategically separated by 10 minutes, so they saw each other during the inspection.

Fantastic big company came through at 2pm, spent 40 minutes going over every inch of the properties. Two out of the 3 directors were there. Asked if I could open them up Wed morning for the third director to view. No problems.

Third guy liked it also, agreed to do the deal. Zippo !! Went home and finalised the 50 page Lease, printed two originals off and took them around to their office. Had the lot executed and witnessed by 4pm. Bond in the amount of 90K bank cheque handed over to me and the keys were handed to them. Job done. 26 hour turn around from first visit to officially in. I like talking to people with the financial authority and balls to make a decision.

Bond is a real Bond....a non-interest bearing deposit from the Tenant. It stays in our bank account and earns us interest. Little extra source of revenue on top of the rent and outgoings.

Leased it out for 8.5 years as a vacant block, so I'm responsible for nothing. They intend of spending 45K doing up the offices and painting both sheds and installing all of their racking systems. They'll probably be fully up and running in the place by Sept.

We get the keys back in Jan 2020. Job sorted. All of the C&I fully let now.

Now to tackle the poxy retail stuff. Nightmare being restricted by that nanny legislation.

Owning a shopping centre/strip has always been like that Dazz.
That's why the big centers developed leases that are like groin vicegrips, which then invoked the "nanny" legislation.
Although times are tough atm even for the good ones, most small retailers are bad retailers and will try and drag you down with them.
That Liquor licence stuff can take a while to sort out, i think it needs to be treated as squeaky wheel. The people on the other side of it also know what it's worth.

Back