Leasing privately: where do you advertise?

If there are threads which have covered this, great - please point me in the right direction. My search came up empty.

For those of you who lease your IP's privately, where do you advertise or how do you find tenants? Is there a realestate.dot.com.au site for investors like that one is for RE agents?

I'm old-fashioned. Dunno how to use this here internet thing.

Printed flyers and put them on community noticeboards.

You know there's a thing called the 'newspaper' that also runs classified ads? :p

Cool - thanks so much.

There was an interesting link within the landlordschoice website: http://www.renterschoice.com.au/

It's either brand new or a complete shemozzle - no listings that I could see. Wacky idea - not sure that you'd get tenants applying for places without seeing them and as for paying rent via paypal :eek:

May I point out, agents subscribe to a "bad tenants" data base. I would think that not having access to that, may increase your risk. Sure, an owner can effectively self manage, however, I think our services are a bit like insurance premiums. A pain at the time of paying them, but thankful you have, when things go off the rails. All the best with your IP
cheers

A pain at the time of paying them, but thankful you have, when things go off the rails.
I'm not sure they're worth 20% of the rent though, given that they don't seem to actually *do* anything ... except let the tenants get really behind in rent etc.

There's a HUGE opening in this area for a cheaper PM that is good, btw. Have a choice of one at the moment.

"I'm not sure they're worth 20% of the rent though, given that they don't seem to actually *do* anything ... except let the tenants get really behind in rent etc."

RumpleElf, I think if I was paying someone 20 % and they ..... in my mind were doing nothing, then I think I would not be happy as well.

Does sound like you have had a bad experience. I would think that every self respecting person, no matter what job they do, would be doing all they can, to have their customers appreciate what they do for a living. I hope you find someone that appreciates your business, and works to have you appreciate them.

Cheers

There's only one PM in the area, and they had my tenants before I got them. They let them get $4000 behind in rent and their fees are horrendously high. Its enough to put anyone off them :(

They're paying - I'm getting it taken out of their pensions, something the PM never thought to do - so its good for now.

My reasoning is even if they trash the place, that isn't actually a bad thing as a trashed house is SO much easier to sell than a nice one, and only a few $1000 cheaper too. I'm still amazed how hard the house was to sell - it had new everything, top to bottom, and is one of the biggest houses in the town. Location and neighbours were the killers. Ironically the tenants would be paying less (a LOT less if they got the FHOG) for the house if they were buying it, not renting it.

I've just posted this on another thread, but I recently came across landlordschoice.com.au, through them private investors can advertise their properties on realestate.com.au, which is heaps better than domain.com.au in terms of getting tenants. At least that has been my experience.

You always manage to turn a thread into something thats happening with you dont you Rumpled. I very rarley see you actually answering the OP (although I do notice this time you gave a 1 line answer most probably known by the OP anyway), rather just going on about whats happening with your old rickety house/s, how the bank won't lend you anymore money, how you live on a minimal wage, how there are vacant blocks in your town all in a row, the problems you have had with your house...I've even seen your kitchen! ;)

It does get rather annoying have to sift through your "stories"

Back