Leaving a great job

Some forumites would know that I have really valued my JOB and treated it as an asset over the years. However, after 21 years working in a multinational company I am contemplating leaving. The timing seems to be right for me and as a senior executive a redundancy package would be available well into the 7 digits including preservation of a defined benefit superannuation payout when I turn 55. I'm 49 now. I am confident of being able to find another senior corporate role and this would be give me the opportunity to take a few months off and smell the roses for a while before re entering the corporate world. The only thing holding me back is an emotional and intellectual investment I've made to the business over many years in different locations which is hard to leave behind.

Anyone experienced this before? Im torn between staying and going but I know an opportunity like this won't come up again in the near future. It's a first world problem for sure but I'm losing sleep over it..

cheers

take the break and run.

I find too many peops are focussed on the corporate side of things, and its only when forced upon them that they actually assess their life goals.

I have had a few clients recently change their view of redundancy from PLOM to YAY what a gift

ta
rolf

The timing seems to be right for me and as a senior executive a redundancy package would be available well into the 7 digits including preservation of a defined benefit superannuation payout when I turn 55. I'm 49 now.

Take money, run :)

The Y-man

Ditto others.

Its unlikely another opportunity to smell roses will come up again in time for you to have a break and also find & excel in another role before retirement.

They will survive without you and there's personal growth in change ;)

Enjoy what youve achieved and take a time out?

To me, the fact that you are even considering it indicates that some part of you is asking for a rest.

The numbers involved would seem enough to ensure a comfortable old age and your body/brain may want a rest from the constant need to perform.

I believe that our bodies, both male and female, start a cycle of change at around 45-50 and a lot of people I know seem to suddenly realise that they are mortal and just Starting to get old.

Perhaps we sub consciously calculate that we have lived more days than we have left in our life or perhaps we look at our slightly older friends and see the physical changes now clearly obvious in them. I have also had a Lot (too many) friends and rellies that have became ill or died in their fifties.

Primarily, I think it is your prewired survival gene telling you to prepare a plan for your old age and take better care of your health.

Set up your retirement nest then plan a life where you have time to plant some roses so you can smell them later :)

You're gonna get a seven figure payout PLUS defined benefit pension and you're umming and ahhing about leaving?

Dude!

Stop being emotional and start thinking rationally. You might love the job, but... Seven. Figure. Payout. I mean, I love my job as well, but if I had something like that on the table, I wouldn't be able to sign the redundancy agreement fast enough. You could effectively retire right now. At the very least, you will be in a position where you can pick the job you want, if you want to continue working and you have the luxury of waiting for as long as you want to make sure the new job is the right fit.

This is a no brainer.

Take the money and go. You already worked long enough as a employee.

Once i hit 50, hopefully well before then, i am retired
Life is too short to be working

Totally agree with posts above, take money and run :)

I am on maternity leave at the moment, I thought I would be missing job for the same reasons, I contributed so much for that Company, loved and enjoyed my work but after being at home for few months I am actually enjoying smelling roses (which I never noticed before)

I visited office the other day and I didnt miss anything about my job which came as a huge suprise to me.... I wouldnt be able to stay at home forever but having nice, long break brought me to SS forums for example and into reading all about investments.... and changing my future goals in so many ways.....
I am so grateful for wonderful experience

I received a redundancy from my last job. Got paid out a whole $20k.

It was the best thing that happened to me in my corporate career. It gave the kick I needed to start out on my own.

You're gonna get a seven figure payout PLUS defined benefit pension and you're umming and ahhing about leaving?

Dude!

Stop being emotional and start thinking rationally. You might love the job, but... Seven. Figure. Payout. I mean, I love my job as well, but if I had something like that on the table, I wouldn't be able to sign the redundancy agreement fast enough. You could effectively retire right now. At the very least, you will be in a position where you can pick the job you want, if you want to continue working and you have the luxury of waiting for as long as you want to make sure the new job is the right fit.

This is a no brainer.

^^ What this guy said. Mentally, I would already have the 7 figures spent :D

Hi Oscar

You have a nasty problem don't you... hehe

Like everyone said, take the money and run, smell the roses.

You have been a very successful investor, property in Oz/USA etc etc, seriously with your knowledge you just create other income streams elsewhere if you choose or whatever tickles your fancy, and you get to call the shots.

Good for you.

MTR:)

Do you still have the drive to work in the corperate world?

Dad received redundacy package from reasonable paying job, wasn't 7 figures - 6. Spent next 6-12 months getting back into in. Found another 6 figure job spent 12 months in it and decided he had enough. Retired.

Dude!

This is a no brainer.

It's all relative though Mr Fab. Don't forget if he is due a 7 figure payout he probably already earns close to that p.a. so he wouldn't get as excited about a 7 figure payout as the average joe might. If you told Ian Narev he would get a 7 figure payout and quit he would laugh in your face.

You sound like you really love your job Oscar but just need some time out... Why not ask for a few months leave without pay or something similar?

You can get a seven figure payout but you haven't taken it yet? And you're considering looking for a new job afterwards? I would've quit yesterday and not bother to even look at a job ad again :p

Redundancy..

Dear Oscar,

I have been through this with a family member, and the 'what next' bit and the gap while waiting for things to happen is the difficult part.
Maintaining your dynamic purposeful life may be what you need to consider.
The 'what next ' bit is really exciting, and frightening.
Keep talking about it to people who's opinion you value!

I hope this helps!

I agree, alternatively, if you have the knowledge and skill in this game, why not use it to your advantage and seek a little challenge, versus carry on in your comfort zone

The package may not seem alot to you, but, you can use that and start something for yourself, I am sure you would have already accumulated enough assets to fall back on as your safety net

Back