Leaving a great job

My figures are all net off tax anyway Melbournian. Most paid now, with some other entitlements paid in 2015 and in 2016.

Only 6 weeks left of work for me this year:) Really look forward to the down time.

Amazing - that the company pays you out like that over a course of 3 years.
wouldn't you still have to lodge a tax return (of course PAYG is taken out) - i got a package last year and they have some really complex formula to work out if you exceeded x threshold etc you would get tax this amt etc etc..

Interesting analogy about a job being like building a house from scratch.

You wouldn't sell your house for a great price, if you believed there was near-term cap growth, you couldn't get back into the market, transaction costs were too high. Wonder how that applies to a job.

Y-Man why haven't you looked at investing back in Japan?

Did a bit of calculations... ouch... that hurts.

An even more thought provoking question is "how many more summers" ... assuming you like summer with the beach and beers and bbq's ... and assess how many you have left that you can properly enjoy (not as a wheelchair bound, dribbling old far).

Or - if you prefer skiing and fires and toddy ...

Scary even for a "not so oldie" like me

update

Well, just as I had a few weeks to go before sailing off into the sunset, the company made me an offer i couldn't refuse.

I was offered, and accepted that promotion that takes my total compensation 800k to one mill depending on performance. I'm pretty busy right now !

I was so close.... but this is a really good offer and if I hang on for a few years it would have been well worth it.

I will still be investing in the same old boring stuff, mainly index funds with a focus on yield. I don't need to take big risks for capital growth.

Well, just as I had a few weeks to go before sailing off into the sunset, the company made me an offer i couldn't refuse.

I was offered, and accepted that promotion that takes my total compensation 800k to one mill depending on performance. I'm pretty busy right now !

I was so close.... but this is a really good offer and if I hang on for a few years it would have been well worth it.

I will still be investing in the same old boring stuff, mainly index funds with a focus on yield. I don't need to take big risks for capital growth.

Congratulations Oscar!

Great stuff. I think you made the right decision. Wish you all the best!

Cheers,
Oracle.

Hi Oscar. As long as you're doing what you love, that's all that matters.

All good! :)

At least now (I assume)

- Your thoughts have had some time to "step out" of routine and explore in a real way "what will I do next"

- Your company knows you're serious about walking! This promotion and offer may not have come about if you had sat their wondering "what if...."

The Y-man

Back