Lending market changes: pricing for investors vs PPOR

Hey all, an update on lending market sentiment following the rate cut and speaking to my core lenders through the week.

I touched recently on changes coming in the lending market for 2015 and how it could impact different investing strategies (link: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105167).

With the recent rate cut, this just becomes increasingly important. Whether others agree or not, rate cuts generally pump credit into the housing industry. We're already at the 'tipping point' where regulators are starting to take action, and this will only fuel further 'tightening' for those in the 'aggressive' basket.

APRA's and the Australian regulator approach at this stage (or to come) is to 'incentivise' prudent lending practices, rather than impose strict caps (LVR caps, etc). In practice, this means differences in pricing for:
a) Interest only loans.
b) Investment lending.

The two above are exactly what APRA's openly stated as being the key issues there watching out for (see attached). APRA can do this by simply requiring individual lenders to hold more capital against different types of loans. At this early stage, they'll likely do this to individual banks who exhibit certain behaviours, rather than across the board macro prudential measures. Therefore, I imagine you'll see this type of pricing for banks that exhibit more risky portfolios weighted towards investors/IO.

Macquarie, one of the more aggressive lenders in the marketplace, are one of the first to move in this space. They're about to/have announced some pretty big cuts in rates across the board, and matched this with a 15bp premium for investor lending. More details will follow as they release the details formally, but effectively have been told to hold more capital against investment loans (as their growth in investment lending has been particularly strong).

As investors, i'm not sure pricing really does too much to sway our lending structures, but its the regulators way of promoting good practice. I suspect there'll be moves from others incentivising P&I repayments in due course (probably for PPORs given the tax environment).

As mentioned, cash outs at high LVRs are going to get harder and harder, realistically they already have with some lenders (Macquarie, NAB, etc), more evidence may be required, etc. Typical moves to investment friendly lenders may require some planning/foresight. For example, you may move to Macquarie and require the flexibility to cash out. This will be difficult at higher LVRs and may just become more difficult overall in due time (e.g. verification required).

Cheers,
Redom

Attachments

• 141209-Letter-to-ADIs-reinforcing-sound-residential-mortgage-lending-practices.pdf
    152.8 KB · Views: 162
As mentioned, cash outs at high LVRs are going to get harder and harder, realistically they already have with some lenders (Macquarie, NAB, etc), more evidence may be required, etc.

Thanks Redom. Good post.

I'm yet to see a significant difference. Sure - some lenders have tightened policy but cashouts at high LVR's has been a sensitive issue ever since I've been broking. Just need to know how to play the game - how to put up the proposal, structure the loan and who to place it with.

We operate in a dynamic environment - things change, we just need to continue to adapt.

Thanks Redom. Good post.

I'm yet to see a significant difference. Sure - some lenders have tightened policy but cashouts at high LVR's has been a sensitive issue ever since I've been broking. Just need to know how to play the game - how to put up the proposal, structure the loan and who to place it with.

We operate in a dynamic environment - things change, we just need to continue to adapt.

Definitely, the responsiveness to change is the best way to tackle this. Just sharing where I think it may change based on my initial conversations and sentiment from BDMs.

Prices of fixed rates (and SVR of course) seem to be tumbling too, great news for borrowers! :)

Cheers,
Redom

I've had the same discuss with Macquarie this morning. They're top heavy in interest only lending at the moment (which would be predominantly investment lending) and they're looking to rectify this before the regulators tell them to.

I was told something a little different to Redom, which is they're cutting their fixed rates significantly, but for P&I loans they're offering an additional 0.15% off. Redom's post suggests they're charging 0.15% extra for I/O, whilst my understanding is they're cutting an extra 0.15% for P&I. I've just had this confirmed by Macquarie, but no formal mention of similar restrictions to variable loans.

Macquarie said:
1. SVR to be reduced by 25bps in line with Reserve Bank cash rate reduction. Effective Monday 9th Feb for new business.

2. Reduction in our 2, 3, 4 and 5 year Fixed rates - effective Monday 9th Feb.

Fixed Rate Table for Standard MBMS Product

Term Current Borrower Rate Term Proposed Borrower Rate
1 year 4.59% 1 year 4.59%
2 year 4.69% 2 year 4.59%
3 year 4.79% 3 year 4.59%
4 year 4.99% 4 year 4.69%
5 year 4.99% 5 year 4.69%

3. Fixed rate Promo for P & I loans only

Effective from Monday Feb 9th - a further 15bps off carded rates across all fixed rate terms.

Loans must be 30 year, owner occupied and P & I. The loan must settle by April 30th, 2015. Applies across all LVR bands.

Nice to know that they've also passed on the 25 points from the RBA.

This part is still in the realm of speculation. There's been plenty of talk about restricting investment lending. A possible way to do this is to restrict lenders from increasing their investment loan book by more than 10% per annum.

This isn't a significant problem for the Big 4 as their books are so large already that they're not growing by that much anyway. Second tier lenders have been clawing back significant market share over the last few years and this has been primarily via the investment space.

I've had the same discuss with Macquarie this morning. They're top heavy in interest only lending at the moment (which would be predominantly investment lending) and they're looking to rectify this before the regulators tell them to.

I was told something a little different to Redom, which is they're cutting their fixed rates significantly, but for P&I loans they're offering an additional 0.15% off. Redom's post suggests they're charging 0.15% extra for I/O, whilst my understanding is they're cutting an extra 0.15% for P&I. I've just had this confirmed by Macquarie, but no formal mention of similar restrictions to variable loans.

Thanks Pete, that's what I got told too.

Although, if your offering a blanket discount on P&I over I/O, then there's effectively a premium for I/O loans. My info was that it was only for fixed loans too, but it was just a quick phone call rather than a detailed product description.

I had the phone call too. The email came in whilst I was writing my response.

I don't think I've ever written a P&I loan with Macquaire. There's nothing wrong with them for owner occupier lending, but (before now) they didn't have anything outstanding in this space and other lenders have a great convenience factor.

Back