Lest We Forget.

The second time, an elderly lady who had earlier been talking to her friend about how wonderful her gold card was - that she had courtesy of her husband's service - asked: "what's that medal?", and when I explained, she just raised her eyebrows. Not a single word. The expression suggested "they'll give anybody a medal these days". :D She's got a gold card, I don't. She didn't serve a day! Oh well. (I don't begrudge her, or other veterans' wives, having a go,ld card, I'm only annoyed because she acted superior.)

I have listened to the words of this song quite a few times now. This is a song for my Mother's generation, fathers, husbands and sons to war, doing the work of men but not being treated the same, with pay or accolades.

Perp you have stated,
She's got a gold card, I don't. She didn't serve a day!
Just so you know, my Mother was in receipt of a gold card. My father was a TPI pensioner, meaning he was totally and permanently incapacitated as a result of the war, including 3 years in Changi.

She nursed him mentally then physically from after the war until he died. She then received a war widows pension. She herself was also a member of the AirForce during the war. She would have handed that gold card back in an instant to have my father back and whole again.

You don't know if that woman served or not. She got the gold card because her husband either died or was totally and permanently incapacitated not because of herself.

At least your husband was beside you wearing his medal also.

I thank you for your service, and am sorry that an elderly lady who is in receipt of a benefit because of the loss/illness of her life partner had the ability to deflate you.

Just so you know, my Mother was in receipt of a gold card. My father was a TPI pensioner, meaning he was totally and permanently incapacitated as a result of the war, including 3 years in Changi.

She nursed him mentally then physically from after the war until he died. She then received a war widows pension. She herself was also a member of the AirForce during the war. She would have handed that gold card back in an instant to have my father back and whole again.

You don't know if that woman served or not. She got the gold card because her husband either died or was totally and permanently incapacitated not because of herself.

At least your husband was beside you wearing his medal also.

I thank you for your service, and am sorry that an elderly lady who is in receipt of a benefit because of the loss/illness of her life partner had the ability to deflate you.
I think you've read me all wrong, but I apologise for any slight you perceived.

As I stated - and you quoted - I don't begrudge her the gold card at all. It did seem from what she was saying that she hadn't served herself, but that's not really relevant: she deserves her gold card! I just don't think it entitled her to turn her nose up at me, is all I was saying. :)

I would like to think that your father - and all who've seen combat - served in hope of a future where all military veterans only had peacetime service medals, don't you think?

I thank your father most sincerely for his sacrifice, and honour the impact that his service had on your mother and - I'm sure - on all your family.

Back