Let's Improve the Forum

Let's Improve the Forum

Hi Folks,

No, I don't mean the software interface with all its "bells and whistles". We've hoed that road, already. I'm talking about level of disclosure. Something which happens rarely and seems to require a catalyst of some kind to make it happen.

I don't know about you, but I thought the second half of the recent thread titled, "Opinion Polls" was great, whereas the first half was very lacklustre, to say the least. What was the catalyst? I'm not sure but it could have been a bottle of red wine. The level of disclosure in the second half of the thread was outstanding and, I think, elevated the thread to greatness. It inspired me and got me thinking that the forum would be even better if we had better discussions, like this, more often.

Some posts in that thread confirmed that, for one reason or another, people are holding back. I accept that Michael's reasons play a part (I'll come back to them) but I think the main culprit is the fear factor of coming across as (dare I say it) a newbie. Saying something silly that the likes of The Wife or Michael Croft might see. Ironically, these newbies, by not contributing, can be seen as bloodsuckers by those who do contribute generously. So we have a stalemate and a forum which fails to reach its full potential.

Having failed to reach its potential, I feel the forum will always impress forum newbies with the wealth of info that has already been archived but having digested that, without new quality in-depth threads to satisfy their insatiable thirst for further knowledge, eventually they drop out of sight, never to return. Not a good state of affairs.

To stop this cycle "Let's Improve the Forum" by engaging in full-disclosure in-depth discussions. Perhaps we can start with this topic. I'll start the ball rolling with my ideas.

Firstly, let's create a Conference entitled, "Newbies, research your topic here before posting your question." The Conference will contain hypertext links to selected threads based on their content and catalogued by topic. This should eliminate many dead-end threads where the newbie is directed to previous posts.

Secondly, let's create a Calendar of Events which sets dates in advance to discuss topics of interest such as property "hot spots", best dwelling to buy, to fix interest rates now or wait, my investment strategy, etc.
I believe the major reasons for the plethora of short, humdrum threads is that: 1) each thread is competing with many other threads (I've seen numerous examples of posts that have been looked at 70 or 80 times without a reply by posters picking and choosing what to reply to.), 2) Many posters who don't have the answer at hand won't research and come back later with a reply.

I believe that setting a day aside in advance to discuss a single issue, where we have time to research the topic or form some views, will lead to better in-depth discussions.

Thirdly, for issues which may prompt potentially libellous comments, I suggest a bi annual survey where a "satisfied" or "not satisfied" response only is given in the post. Example: Were you satisfied with the purchase price? Were you satisfied with the sale process? Were you satisfied with the location of the property? Were you satisfied with the rental return? - just to name a few.

What will this achieve? Over the short-term, the results will be dubious due to the small sample and the integrity of the respondents. However, over the long-term, it will become quite clear that certain organizations are favoured over others by the amount of custom they have received. If the respondents choose so they may attach their e-mail address to the post to enable enquirers to contact them privately for details. Naturally, you can't be sued for candidly discussing organizations via private e-mail.

Finally, a disclaimer on the Login page regarding comments and advice given by forum contributors are held to be their own view and no blame shall be taken etc..

Well, that's it folks! If these ideas are not your cuppa tea, fine. What else can be done to improve the forum? This discussion is long overdue.

Regards, Mike

PS: Dave, for giving your suburb tips, here are the ones I left out of my post: Flemington, Kensington, North Melbourne and Thornbury are seen as undervalued and relatively affordable. Now, it's my turn to tuck into a good red whilst I await everyones verdict.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Mike,

Fantastic idea...you ought to be shouted a bottle or two of red for your
endevours to make this forum great. My post was one small step towards
wanting the same thing...I hope it worked in some small way.

Your suburb tips are spot on...I will be closely looking at North
Melbourne in particular - right next to my target area!

Well done again.

Dave

Reply: 1.1

Great Idea for us all to put forward more in depth thoughts, ideas etc. I would just like to say one thing though which has been on my mind for quite a few weeks - I have been "stewing" over it you might say. Please, when using chat or answering posts, realize not everyone is going to be in a job which is deemed to be prestigious. Don't under estimate us just because we are not a lawyer, accountant or real estate agent. Please don't dismiss us when you find out we are not in what you deem to be an important enough job for you to give us the time of day. We might just be that millionaire next door with some good advise for you and even if we are not, everyone deserves courtesy after all aren't we all in this because of a common interest. This comes from me being totally frozen out of a conversation on chat once the person knew what I did for a living. I was ok to talk to until that time but after totally ignored when I asked a direct question. Any wonder some of us are reluctant to put forward a point of view. Funny enough I seen the same person sucking up big time to those who are known to be successful on this forum. So, what I would like to see is everyone taking care of other people's feelings then we might get some more people game enough to put their point of view forward. Thanks.

Reply: 1.2

Geday Mike,
Great move

Id like to suggest an item for discussion. RENOVATION TIPS

There must be some tradies out there past or present. Who not only have experience in renovating but also the odd tip or two, as to cost effective ways of doing many jobs ( big and small ).
One that comes to mind.
When re tiling bathroom or kitchen walls.
Buy plain wall tiles, you can get them ferry cheap.
Spend a bit more on border tiles.
This will give you the wow factor. The overall price is cost effective compared to purchasing expensive wall tiles to get a similar result.

bydntsel

Follow your own advice

Reply: 1.1.1

Geday Diane,

Them people your referring to may see someone important looking out of the mirror.

bydntsel

Follow your own advice

Reply: 1.1.2

Well I guess that means no one will want to talk to me then. I wipe bottoms for a living!!!

Jude

P.S. I always wash my hands before shaking hands though!! LOL

Reply: 1.2.1

Geday Michael.

You have a valid point. I will take your suggestion on board. ( go into the archives & have a good scrounge )
For me this is new therefor also interesting.
Question arises.
How will we get idea’s & information that haven’t been bout forward yet?

bydntsel

Follow your own advice

Reply: 1.2.1.1

Maybe we can have some way of displaying URL links where we can update a webpage with FAQs?

Open a another forum, with only single message threads which each thread is a FAW header and the message contains the URL?

Maybe Somersoft can donote some space to maintain these URLs (maybe?).

Michael

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1

Good day folks

It looks we have three levels of investors -
1. Beginners (like my self) with lot of basic questions;
2. Investors - people (this where I am heading now) and co. with small to medium property portfolio;
3. Sophisticated investors - with large property, share, etc. portfolio.

Do not ask how many properties do you need to get qualified for the next level, it is irrelevant. It is purely up to you to get your self-assessed and qualified. Do your self a favor...

Split them into 2-3 sections - beginners and investors.
1. FAQ section with archives attached to it with selection of book titles and software is excellent idea - with basic ideas how to Find Money, Borrow Funds, Buy Property, Look After, Sell it, etc.
2. Refinancing, Equities, Capital Gain, Tax, Rent, Syndicates, etc. could be the next one.

So, people who have done it before do not get angry and frustrated. They can go and have plunge with Big Splash and not to worry about Political Correctness. Just get on with an issue.

Hope it helps and also hope to see it implemented. It will us give all peace of mind perhaps.

Basically, put simply, we need slow pace and fast pace circles. Otherwise everyone gets frustrated and has to wait for the rest of them to pick up the pace.

Only one concern over it would be - if you are a beginner and have a question, your question might be never answered or answered incorrectly. It like to live all children unattended for prolong period of time to find out later that they spend all there time to turn everything up side down and smashing each other up left right and center.
And who do you think has to clean it all up?
The grown up once...

So, interaction factor has to be build in to it. But you do not have to play parents role either. Just give the answer they are looking for or tell where to find or what to do and that is it folks.

Regards
Serge G.

Back