Lets Talk Diamonds

Hi All
I am looking at buying a diamond ring for me, Mr MTR has no idea, and I am OK with this......Its all about ME:).

I don't want to pay stupid prices we pay in Australia.

I know someone who purchased a diamond for his fianc? He was smart and purchased in USA and paid half the price we would pay in Oz

Anyone been down this road, can you share, I am happy to learn and work through this.

What is it the 4 C's
Carat
Colour
Clarity
Cut

Thanks

MTR:)

4'c's?

Charity
Compassion
Caring
Chill and reflect

Not in order btw.

Ps.Personally i'd be caring for others less fortunate rather than looking to spoil oneself.

Anyhow,good luck on your diamond hunt MTR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ps.Personally i'd be caring for others less fortunate rather than looking to spoil oneself.

you can't eat cash nor a diamond and this is mostly an exchange of one for the other.

By purchasing this diamond there will be a multiplier effect of economic activity, generating taxes and employment and even greater ability to care for the less fortunate

That is correct Ausprop,you can't eat eat cash nor diamond.

BUT the flow on affect lol?...Maybe,JUST maybe you may watch WHERE the diamonds are come from...Let me know how you go when you do a stint in the 'effect of economic activity, generating taxes and employment and even greater ability to care for the less fortunate' in the less poverish mines.

MTR, why do you want to get a diamond? What would you do with it? I have a Diamond Amex card but can't see what I would do with a real diamond.

Good on u mtr, spoil yourself. My hubby got my diamond ring last yr from Tiffany in USA and whilst dollar was high we saved quite a bit. It is on the smaller size but I love it. I would like to get myself a bigger diamond when my investments show more profit in yrs to come.
U can save money on getting it in the us but dollar is lower now. Ive heard of people sourcing rings and diamonds from bluenile.com. It's an online diamond site.

Last edited:
Most men encounter this problem at least once in their lifetime.

I got some good advice when i was buying an engagement ring -

'suck it up and prepare to get ripped off' ' you are just buying a little rock' .

albeit a pretty one. The marketing to, and conditioning of, young women is pretty effective.

If i was to buy another diamond - i'd get a pink (or white) one from argyle. at least then you have that link to WA, its likely to appreciate in value and the flow on effects ripple here rather than fund a war somewhere in africa.

good luck

Anyhow,good luck on your diamond hunt MTR.

This is a forum where people talk about money, investing, financial goals, wealth, etc. I think you may be in the wrong place here? Maybe you should find somewhere else to give people a lecture about humanity? There are plenty to go to?

See ya's.

REgarding 4c's - specifications of the diamond : i'd visit a retailer and have a look for yourself. We didn't get the top top of all the specs, just went medium grade because to our human eyes, we couldnt see the difference, but it was a big difference in price. Obviously, if you can see the difference then you may want to pay for the higher grade. Usually, you need to put it under magnification to see the difference.

Have fun shopping !

I know someone who purchased a diamond for his fianc? He was smart and purchased in USA and paid half the price we would pay in Oz
I may be mistaken, but I'm not sure he was that smart. US prices are generally similar to Oz, but seem cheaper because Americans prefer larger lower quality diamonds relative to Australians. So a much larger diamond will be the same price as in Australia, but that's because it has a lot more inclusions than would be acceptable in the Australian market. (The "clarity" C.) Aussies tend not to go below SI2 for inclusions, whereas Americans consider I1 and even I2 perfectly acceptable.

People who want to buy diamonds cheaply generally do it from the big markets in Israel and The Netherlands (Antwerp), I believe.

How about Secrets...Shhhh

It can be yours ;)

Rings.jpg

Have you thought of looking for one at cash converters or ebay and having it reset. This used to be a good way to get a stone cheaply but may not be as good these days. Last time I looked at diamonds in a CC there were lots of new rings.

If I was looking I would buy an old Art Deco style from an antique store.

MTR, great idea to reward your efforts. We bought a diamond of one of the internet guys 7 years ago and have been very happy with it, blue Nile are a little rich if I remember. GIA Certs are the best they're a little tougher on quality than some of the others.

You pay a lot more for clarity and colour (and size, lol) but it's a personal thing. We prefer a bigger rock with slightly less clarity/colour but depends on the setting and use. For earrings in particular people get big rocks with a lot lower clarity and colour. Don't get too occluded a rock as they can be physically weak ie break!

I found also they're a bit like a new TV, side by side you can see differences but on there own they look great. If it's a ring another ring of small diamonds around it gives it the super wow factor.

Avoid the hyped chain stores, the rings are all mass cast things and you'd be surprised at the lack of quality in some of there stones! (Not all though)

BUT the flow on affect lol?...Maybe,JUST maybe you may watch WHERE the diamonds are come from...Let me know how you go when you do a stint in the 'effect of economic activity, generating taxes and employment and even greater ability to care for the less fortunate' in the less poverish mines.

Obviously you feed your ego with beer goggles.

Hey Spades, you love this place don't you? :)

Very simple to get around that one just buy a pink diamonds mined in W-Australia,all the stones I have bought in 18ct have been from auctions antique stores, antique stores are the best as you can talk them down in price all the high volumes stores are not like that..

https://www.argylepinkdiamonds.com.au/#3

https://www.argylepinkdiamonds.com.au/

I've seen a couple of guys split up with fiancee before popping the question so sell brand new ring half price.

Last edited:
Hi All
I am looking at buying a diamond ring for me, Mr MTR has no idea, and I am OK with this......Its all about ME:).

I don't want to pay stupid prices we pay in Australia.

Anyone been down this road, can you share, I am happy to learn and work through this.

What is it the 4 C's
Carat
Colour
Clarity
Cut

Thanks

MTR:)

I did a lot of research and shopping around on this. I looked at Blue Nile, White Flash etc all the USA shops and you really have to watch who the certifier is.

I also went to all the big jewellers in Perth and got quotes on what I wanted.

Then I found 2 local options
1. Anthony Colin the Jeweller in London Court (recommended by a friend)
2. Jogia Diamonds

I visited both and REALLY like Tony at Anthony Colin. He sourced a diamond to my specification (my main criteria was nothing higher than a F or G colour as they tend to go yellowish after that)

He got in some diamonds in my criteria from a wholesaler and I was able to see them and choose. He then built the ring to my specification. End cost was 50% less than what the bigger jewellers quoted and I can claim back the GST when I go to New York saving a further $2k.

Back