Lets Talk Diamonds

I would never pay 30k for a diamond that was only "very good" cut (or even less money, for that matter). The cut grade is the most important specification. If you've got that much money to spend, I would get an AGS 000 with hearts and arrows :)

There are ideal and signature ideal cuts for around 30K, but less than 3 carats (around 2.5 - 2.7 ct) on the website.

The Blue Nile signature ideal diamonds just over 2 carats with a good colour and clarity grading seem to be 35k+. It also depends on the shape - round diamonds are the most expensive and they're the ones I was talking about.

Diamond Ring!

Dear MTR,

Bought a diamond from a reputable dealer in London who set it for me, after hours of discussion about the setting.
The first visit was sounding us out, how much to spend.. etc. he had nothing on show, no display room, we had to walk through a double security entrance, then up a 3 storey spiral staircase.
The second visit he had a dozen or so diamonds, and we were invited to play with them, hold them to the light , bring them to the window.
(We were in the attic)

He said in the end, he could get more if we wanted, but there was one that 'talked to me'
I had initially wanted a ring with small diamonds around it, (Princess setting) but this particular one was so lovely it didn't need more decoration.
We got enough tax refund to buy things for the house! (20%)They had to post the refund. It took a couple of months.

I have something to enjoy, every day.
Initially I was scared to walk down the street wearing it, If I feel a bit concerned, I turn it over.
We will go back there again!
I hope this helps
Seaford Sunshine

Alex from Jewellery Design Studio in Perth is a member on another forum I frequent and sponsors the forum.

He has made a number of forum members engagement and wedding rings with great reviews, and when the day comes I will be going there.

I'm currently looking at engagement rings so this thread is highly relevant :)

Blue Nile diamonds appear to be cost a lot less than other places I've looked at however most if not all their diamonds are strong to very strong in fluorescence. From my limited understanding, no fluorescence is higher value because it looks more "pure" but does it really make that much difference when viewed in every day life?

I've also looked at GS diamonds and Zoara which look legit, has anyone used them before?

I had my engagement ring designed last year. It has one centre diamond of 2.3 carat with 11 other diamonds around it making up 0.60 carats. Colour F , Clarity VS1, Princess cut. From memory it was about 19k (Had some kind of sale). Got it valued came in at about 25k from memory.

Hi All
I am looking at buying a diamond ring for me, Mr MTR has no idea, and I am OK with this......Its all about ME:).

I don't want to pay stupid prices we pay in Australia.

I know someone who purchased a diamond for his fianc? He was smart and purchased in USA and paid half the price we would pay in Oz

Anyone been down this road, can you share, I am happy to learn and work through this.

What is it the 4 C's
Carat
Colour
Clarity
Cut

Thanks

MTR:)

A general observation about all precious and semi-precious gemstones:

As an investment, I would avoid them. The reason are 2 fold:
1. They are extremely illiquid [ i.e. cant sell it easy and not at a decent price]
2. The markup at retailers is at least 300%.

Other investment vehicles are not this illiquid. Try taking a diamond to a cash converters and see what they will offer. You will be lucky if you can buy a cup of coffee with the proceeds. If you need to pawn [sell] the gem, you will get about 10-15% of retail.
So, its only really worth it if:
1. You buy a truly magnificent piece [ i.e. international auction house quality] and this will cost you mega $ to buy.
2. you hold onto it for at least 30 years. Over the decades, it will [pretty much inflation] all add up.

This is advice for investment only. If you need to buy for an engagement ring or the like, that's a different story as its emotional, relationship-based etc.

I remember my physics teacher in high school would never buy his wife a diamond. His reason was they don't last. (Degrade into graphite after thousands of years). And if she really wanted one, he would buy her as many pencils as she wants haha.

I remember my physics teacher in high school would never buy his wife a diamond. His reason was they don't last. (Degrade into graphite after thousands of years). And if she really wanted one, he would buy her as many pencils as she wants haha.

and he's still married?

Pricescope is probably the best website to go to for information on diamonds and reputable dealers in America. Great advice to be had there, but as with all advice make sure you are getting what you want. With diamonds Cut is king, compromise according to your taste and tolerance on the
Carat, Colour, Clarity but never on cut. A top cut can make a smaller diamond appear larger and a lower colour appear brighter.

Pricescope is probably the best website to go to for information on diamonds and reputable dealers in America. Great advice to be had there, but as with all advice make sure you are getting what you want. With diamonds Cut is king, compromise according to your taste and tolerance on the
Carat, Colour, Clarity but never on cut. A top cut can make a smaller diamond appear larger and a lower colour appear brighter.

That is so interesting, I did not realise the cut was as crucial, I thought it was the colour?
Do you know what is considered the best cut, by cut we are talking princess, round etc. is that right???

Mmmmm, well I think I know what I would do with his pencils

A general observation about all precious and semi-precious gemstones:

As an investment, I would avoid them. The reason are 2 fold:
1. They are extremely illiquid [ i.e. cant sell it easy and not at a decent price]
2. The markup at retailers is at least 300%.

Other investment vehicles are not this illiquid. Try taking a diamond to a cash converters and see what they will offer. You will be lucky if you can buy a cup of coffee with the proceeds. If you need to pawn [sell] the gem, you will get about 10-15% of retail.
So, its only really worth it if:
1. You buy a truly magnificent piece [ i.e. international auction house quality] and this will cost you mega $ to buy.
2. you hold onto it for at least 30 years. Over the decades, it will [pretty much inflation] all add up.

This is advice for investment only. If you need to buy for an engagement ring or the like, that's a different story as its emotional, relationship-based etc.

Diamonds just put a smile on your face:) not for serious investors, but who cares, some things are just for pleasure.

Diamonds are all about light return that then translates into a diamond's sparkle and scintillation. There are measurements of a diamond that involve factors like not being cut too deep or too shallow so light is able to enter the diamond and reflect upwards rather than pass through the diamond. Some companies do the measuring work for you and these diamonds are sold as their top cuts. There is a tool used for determining a diamond's cut. Diamond grading companies such as AGS and GIA have to ensure that diamonds graded by them pass a measurement test, pass a colour grading test, pass a clarity test in order to certify that a diamond is the cut, colour and clarity that they claim it is.

No need for false guilt for wanting a diamond. People want all sorts of things such as a top of the range Range Rover or some other item that isn't strictly needed but for some reason women are made to feel guilty for wanting to own something lovely.

Sorry I think there has been a misunderstanding Cut - the way the diamond has been cut is not the same as the shape of a diamond. The shape of the diamond can be varied - round, oval, princess, radient, cushion to name some. This is a mater of personal taste which one you would choose. Once you have chosen the shape of diamond you want, it is then the most important thing that that stone is cut well for maximum light return.

Whatever you get, post a photo of it here for us, so that I can live vicariously! Depending on how many daughters you have, you may have to get more than one, if you get my drift.

Sorry I think there has been a misunderstanding Cut - the way the diamond has been cut is not the same as the shape of a diamond. The shape of the diamond can be varied - round, oval, princess, radient, cushion to name some. This is a mater of personal taste which one you would choose. Once you have chosen the shape of diamond you want, it is then the most important thing that that stone is cut well for maximum light return.

+1 on this.
The cut is graded so you can ascertain which is better. It is an objective measurement of how well light performs (sparkles)

Generally it's Ideal, Very good, Good, Fair and Poor

Then there is shape, ie princess, asscher, round etc

Back