Lets Talk Diamonds

NOMG - one of the complaints with Blue Nile is that they don't give out enough information on their diamonds to be able to make an informed choice about whether the particular stone you are interested in is a good performer. Also within their top cut Signature Ideal diamonds, the quality of the cut can vary considerably.

When it comes to fluorescence one of the drawbacks of it is that it sometimes makes a diamond appear hazy or milky. Some companies such as Brian Gavin Diamonds sell fluorecescent diamonds but theirs are properly screened to make sure their fluorescent diamonds don't have negative characteristics. The advantage of a fluorescent diamond is that it can have the effect of making the diamond appear whiter than a diamond of the same colour grade without fluorescence. Most of the time your diamond will fluorescence will appear like any other diamond but can turn a blue/purplish colour in bright sunlight. Kinda cool!

Again I would recommend Pricescope if you are in the market for an engagement ring in order to get a diamond that is a great performer. There are people there with a vast experience with diamonds and the advice they give is free. Again though with advice don't compromise on colour or clarity over size if this isn't your preference. Look at different coloured diamonds in jewelery shops to get an idea of your tolerance level. Some people wouldn't go lower than a G in colour, others would love to rock a J and be pleased with the extra size they can get for their money.

This MichaelMik's mother here! Michael has some great areas of expertise but diamonds isn't one of them!

Reactions: S.T
Whatever you get, post a photo of it here for us, so that I can live vicariously! Depending on how many daughters you have, you may have to get more than one, if you get my drift.

PG
Yes, will do:)
It will be next year....30th Wedding Anniversary.

I have already given away 2 diamond rings to my daughters, I am sneakily getting larger stones.

No need for false guilt for wanting a diamond. People want all sorts of things such as a top of the range Range Rover or some other item that isn't strictly needed but for some reason women are made to feel guilty for wanting to own something lovely.

MichaelM
I absolutely do not feel any guilt whatsoever.

MTR:)

Diamonds are all about light return that then translates into a diamond's sparkle and scintillation. There are measurements of a diamond that involve factors like not being cut too deep or too shallow so light is able to enter the diamond and reflect upwards rather than pass through the diamond. Some companies do the measuring work for you and these diamonds are sold as their top cuts. There is a tool used for determining a diamond's cut. Diamond grading companies such as AGS and GIA have to ensure that diamonds graded by them pass a measurement test, pass a colour grading test, pass a clarity test in order to certify that a diamond is the cut, colour and clarity that they claim it is.

Thanks, this is good info.
I did not realise the important of the GIA certificate, I had this with my last diamond ring.

You know a lot about diamonds, work in this industry???

NOMG - one of the complaints with Blue Nile is that they don't give out enough information on their diamonds to be able to make an informed choice about whether the particular stone you are interested in is a good performer. Also within their top cut Signature Ideal diamonds, the quality of the cut can vary considerably.

When it comes to fluorescence one of the drawbacks of it is that it sometimes makes a diamond appear hazy or milky. Some companies such as Brian Gavin Diamonds sell fluorecescent diamonds but theirs are properly screened to make sure their fluorescent diamonds don't have negative characteristics. The advantage of a fluorescent diamond is that it can have the effect of making the diamond appear whiter than a diamond of the same colour grade without fluorescence. Most of the time your diamond will fluorescence will appear like any other diamond but can turn a blue/purplish colour in bright sunlight. Kinda cool!

Again I would recommend Pricescope if you are in the market for an engagement ring in order to get a diamond that is a great performer. There are people there with a vast experience with diamonds and the advice they give is free. Again though with advice don't compromise on colour or clarity over size if this isn't your preference. Look at different coloured diamonds in jewelery shops to get an idea of your tolerance level. Some people wouldn't go lower than a G in colour, others would love to rock a J and be pleased with the extra size they can get for their money.

This MichaelMik's mother here! Michael has some great areas of expertise but diamonds isn't one of them!

Pricescope, just looked at this, wonderbar, fantastic a new forum on diamonds.

I second the recommendation for Pricescope. They have a great price comparison tool on there which allows you to enter your preference in terms of size, colour grade, etc and brings up a list of stores that stock what you're after and the price. I have used Eternity Diamonds (I dealt with Yoni) from there for a custom made piece and can highly recommend their work - amazing quality and detail. Great value for money too :)

GIA certified

I worked in a friend's diamond wholesale business ages ago doing the accounts. Dont know much about how to evaluate a stone however, Make sure the stone you get is GIA certified. There are all sorts of different certificates out there but GIA is the best. Round shape is usually more expensive than princess,asher,emerald shapes. Go to a few retailers and write down exactly what you want after talking to them. Retailers have very high overheads especially the rents in a shopping mall, so they have to add that to their margins. Once you know what you want go to a wholesaler and get the same thing made for a lot less....pm me if you need a contact in Sydney or Melbourne.

Thanks Jigmeister and cimbom
Getting lots of info on diamonds great stuff.
Spent some time on pricescope forum last night, I even think I have the design nailed now.

cheers

Thought I would bring this up again, I am still looking and learning, have some time on my side with this.

Did some research on Blue Nile, US where you can buy diamonds at wholesale prices, however not sure I am at all comfortable buying without viewing. Went onto pricescape, also good forum but the more I read the more confused I got, that's easy:)

Also found out those GIA certificates that everyone raves on about, am not sure whether they are that great after all, have had some negative comments about these certificates from those in the industry who know much more than me.

What I want -

Style - Tiffany novo
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...niv&sa=X&ei=KscDVeXPCYWT8QWm-oFw&ved=0CCgQsAQ
Cut - very good
Colour - I
Clarity - SI1 or VS2
Carat - 3 ct
Blue Nile quoting around $54,000 Au
Similar product in Australia - $65,000-80,000

Now this is one of the little secrets of the industry, if I go just under 3 ct, say 2.8 ct then I am going to save a fortune, because prices jump dramatically when it hits 3 ct, yet just under will save a fortune and you wont know the difference, it will still be a nice big sparkler:). How much will I save? dont know yet.

A SS member has put me onto a guy in Perth, where I live, who sources diamonds at wholesale prices, he also goes to various o/seas fairs where he can pick them up much cheaper. It is also very much dependent on what is available at the time. The search begins and we will see what he comes back with in terms of pricing etc.

I will keep you posted.

For those looking for engagement rings, it pays to do your research, as we are paying way too much for our diamonds.

Last edited:
With that kind of budget, I wouldn't skimp on cut quality. With a cushion cut diamond, you should still be able to get close to that size anyway. Good Old Gold is a very reputable store in the US and they're pretty well known for their excellent selection of cushion cut diamonds. You can see them here: http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/diamonds/cushion.html?p=2

Their August Vintage cushion cuts are cut both to maximise weight (carat size) and also light performance. They are classified as an "ideal" cut for the purposes of grading which is the highest rating.

This one looks very nice although a bit smaller than what you're after: http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2-09ct-h-vs1-august-vintage-cushion-diamond.html

Note that this cut makes the diamond look significantly bigger so it may have the same look that you're after or close to it. If you want a larger stone, you can email them and they will source one that meets your requirements. They can also design and make a setting and set the diamond for you as well.

You can read more about the August Vintage cut here: http://www.goodoldgold.com/augustvintagecushion.html

Have fun :)

I can highly recommend Whiteflash. Ordered an engagement ring through them last year. Lots of information about their diamonds, also conflict free. Definitely spend some time on the price scope website, very knowledgeable and friendly bunch, not unlike this forum.

I'd suggest getting the best possible cut (ideal, AAA hearts and arrows), vs1 or vs2 clarity, I colour or above. White flash A Cut Above or Expert Selection are great picks

I got the vatche setting for my partner, can't pick the difference with the tiffany solitaire.

A friend of mine who is into scuba diving has had great luck finding rings (amoungst other things ) out near the end of a certain pier . Cast off in despair after a broken heart sadly .

Back