level entry shower -waterproofing and leakage

Been told by our project manager that he will need to cut 20mm into floor joist , then lay a cement sheet on top, then waterproof (by painting a rubber membrane on).

Was told that there's no need to waterproof outside the shower, but I thought that tiles and grout don't protect against water leakage.

Am thinking of insisting on waterproofing outside the shower too (where the bath would be)- does this sound reasonable?

I am not so sure that painting a rubber membrane on is sufficient for leakage protection, what are your experiences?

Thanks.

... but I thought that tiles and grout don't protect against water leakage.

Correct, seepage will occur through the grout lines.

I am not so sure that painting a rubber membrane on is sufficient for leakage protection, what are your experiences?

The painted membrane work well and are used (almost) everywhere.

This Australian Standard has some good examples of where & when to waterproof - see the tables in the document. Regardless of what is specified, you might like to pay a little bit extra just for peace of mind.

Thanks Twoshoes for reply.

So should I just apply the waterproofing membrane paint over the entire bathroom then. dimensions are 2.7m by 2.9m

Does anyone know what surface area can be covered with 15 L of this stuff?

Thanks.

Been told by our project manager that he will need to cut 20mm into floor joist , then lay a cement sheet on top, then waterproof (by painting a rubber membrane on).

Was told that there's no need to waterproof outside the shower, but I thought that tiles and grout don't protect against water leakage.

Am thinking of insisting on waterproofing outside the shower too (where the bath would be)- does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.

To be honest I would be more concerned about cutting 20mm out of the joists. What does your plans say re the bathroom, Also will the cutting be acceptable by the certifier / Engineer.

If you want to be sure look up Guide to Internal Wet Area Waterproofing one of my bibles :)

Brian

My method

Applie silicone to internal corners to achieve a rounded finish.
READ the instructions on number of coats. Time between coats.
Tile the walls first.
Apply an extra coat to the floor area before tiling the floor.
After all the little tile chips from the wall tiling & the traffic over the original floor membrane just may create a weeeeee nick or two .

Gerd

Back