Liberal Federal Govt

I'm in semi retirement mode after a long time in business and investing. Starting from a relatively young age.

I have no dissonance (cognitive or otherwise) as i don't allow myself to do things to cause it.

But id like you to elaborate further. By the way, i evidently spend much less time on here than you do.

Evan, do you work in the public or private sector? If the public, then how do you reconcile with your political and life philosophy, spending so much time on a forum wasting tax payers' money?

If the private, the dissonance between your politics and life experience must be deafening.

Is the statement below a fact (as it looks) or a wild speculative guess?

Why do you Liberal supporters do so much of this scare mongering stuff? Is it fear?
Fear has nothing to do with it ,and you for one must know how the system works if the Australian public have a stone-cold belief that Labor has all the answers then so be it,no different from a union meeting on a union run building high rise 40 level site the outcome is always know before any of the punters ever stick their hands in the air and vote to walk out the gate,Labors no different,,willair..

I'm in semi retirement mode after a long time in business and investing. Starting from a relatively young age.

I have no dissonance (cognitive or otherwise) as i don't allow myself to do things to cause it.

But id like you to elaborate further. By the way, i evidently spend much less time on here than you do.

I don't contract out my time to others Evan.

Up till about 1983 you could still ring Sir-Joh up at night if he was on the farm,or Lady Flo would answer and tell you when was the best time to call,very simple man back the then,the one thing he had was foward thinking

...providing it was to further himself and feather his own nest that is. Joh is indefensible. And why are you referring to him as Sir Joh? He was stripped of his knighthood.

,,plus he went through the legal system like anyone else

He was charged with perjury and ultimately got off on the grounds of age.

,plus what is your idea of corrupt manipulating dishonest Governments :rolleyes:

Like I said, Joh's government. The ultimate example.

over the next three months you are going to see a lot of that in Australia..willair..

As Evand said:"Why do you Liberal supporters do so much of this scare mongering stuff? Is it fear?"

For all those Libs supporters saying it wont last - You are probably right and guess what - the labour GOVERNMENT probably doeasnt care. As most scribes are saying a new election would be a preferable for the labour party. The ones who will miss out will be the greens (less of a protest vote) and those votes will go Labours way.

So labour returns with a bigger majority.

I think that's safe to say. As bad as the labor govt was, the libs couldn't get over the line, largely due to those clowns abbot and bishop I would say.

I can't believe Abbot refused a challenge to Bishops position. Still it all depends on who is challenging... I guess Robb is no improvement, so opt for 'stability'.

Lest somebody else mistakenly believe I intended a compliment, I didn't mean brave in the sense of "courageous", I meant "brave" in inverted commas, where it's a euphemism for a much less flattering adjective. ;)

WTF ? too cryptic for me

Its all in good fun. Anyone that gets screwed up over this stuff needs to get out more. I love a good spirited debate.

I'm not the most intellectual or knowledgeable debater on here but i have absolutely loved this thread.

This thread worked reasonably well for a while but now we have a pack of dogs with blood in their nostrils.

Shame!

...providing it was to further himself and feather his own nest that is. Joh is indefensible. And why are you referring to him as Sir Joh? He was stripped of his knighthood.

He was charged with perjury and ultimately got off on the grounds of age.

Like I said, Joh's government. The ultimate example.

As Evand said:"Why do you Liberal supporters do so much of this scare mongering stuff? Is it fear?"

Why does it always come back to fear,my idea of fear is walking down the valley at 4 in the morning,or just prior to making the call to my broker,and btw way Gordon i have said all along Labor would get back in after all to the Australian public all the last few months has all just been about 2 personalities wrangling over the next three years and 'opm"..willair..
BTW, everyone kicksSir Joh in the guts about the bad things that happened under his control and their were several,but do people ever stop and think prior to him Qld was just a backwater and he put Qld
on the world map..imho..

Fear has nothing to do with it ,and you for one must know how the system works if the Australian public have a stone-cold belief that Labor has all the answers then so be it,no different from a union meeting on a union run building high rise 40 level site the outcome is always know before any of the punters ever stick their hands in the air and vote to walk out the gate,Labors no different,,willair..

It's the older people's conservative and pessimistic nature that is the worst bit. The election has been decided, the independents have made their decisions, get over it and get on with it. The future where the country has a chance to progress and not stagnate is trying to be denied by worn out geriatrics and they'll do whatever they need to get whatever they want. They lack the enthusiasm, exuberance and passion to make the country even better than what it is and, as they can't follow their dream and time-travel back to the 1950s, they'll settle on doing bugger all now and accept the policies (or, rather, the lack thereof) produced by the Coalition during the campaign. What's to like about the Opposition? - there is no vision, there is no plan, there is no direction and there is nothing positive being offered by the rabble that they are. The country had enough of this mob in 2007 and it's only by default they got close this time.

Frankly, the lack of foresight being shown on this thread by some posters is pathetic and sad.

can we please stop using ABS stats and graphs? i'm using narrowed ABS stats to source govt funding for a future project of mine, and let me state this here and now - they in NO WAY represent the "average", just the "median" - which we all know is useless info anyway. if you strip away the bottom 15% and the top 15% of ANY ABS measure, you will find a VERY different outcome, and one that is suddenly more akin to what's happening in the real world.

the use of ABS stats in the NBN argument is pointless, becuase it doesn't represent the average user.

How many times do i have to fricken say this..... i rekon you lot are either at one extreme or the other (there are some who are putting a balanced point forward, but they are being drowned out by the dribble).

.... the NBN goes too far IMO. I dont think that delivering fibre to the home (FTTH) is necessary. It is extremely costly, and in reality, the premises that would actually benefit from FTTH are businesses, hospitals, health care centres, commercial districts, etc.

I dont see how delivering FTTH of average everyday HOMES is going to improve GDP. Yes it may improve convenience, and might allow a very small handful of people to work from home more efficiently..... but will it be THAT much of an improvement than if we just made ADSL 2+ avilable to all homes?

FFS - i rarely use more than 20% of my ADSL 2+ connection's bandwidth... and that's only when i want to download a movie!! I dont know how that improves GDP?
When i work from home, im just using a VPN to access work emails, our ERP system and our servers.... again, using less than 20% of the bandwidth available from my ADSL 2+ connection.

If you were to deliver me with 1GBs speeds.... it would just allow me to download movies faster. WHOOPDIEDOO!!! I can download a movie in 5 minutes versus 30 minutes........ OK so now i can go to bed earlier?? yay.

I think our nations broadband policy should be something more like this, and would be much more cost effective.

Witzl's Broadband Plan

• Govt to buy out the Telstra wholesale copper network, to eliminate the vertical monopoly telstra has
  • Overhaul and upgrade the fibre-optic backbone, delivering fibre-to-the-node infrastructure over a number of years, with a target of maximum 300m from the node to each household (this often referred to as FTTCurb)
  • Allow businesses, hospitals, office buildings, etc to apply for direct fibre link to their building (FTTB) - cost of connection is subsidised by the govt/NBN Co.
  • Upgrade the copper exchanges in metro areas NOW, especially in newly developed suburbs, so that *almost* all homes have the ability to access an ADSL 2+ connection - should they want it. This can be done quickly and relatively cheaply, whilst the FTTN network is built
  • Continue to allow the market to deliver wireless broadband as is occuring now
  • Government to fill in the gaps of wireless broadband coverage where the market will not (ie, in the bush, etc)
  • Push ADSL 2+ services into regional areas as first priority, delivering equitable servies to those in metro areas (where possible)
  • Over time, as our economy builds and as we are rolling out the FTTN network, we might see that there GENUINELY is a need for fibre-to-the-home (FTTH).... and at that time it wont be too hard to start filling in that last part of the network... and maybe only deliver it to those who need/want it!!! It would be a buckload cheaper than just building it to all homes now, when >90% of homes dont need it!

My reasoning:

• I just dont think that delivering FTTH is necessary, most HOMES dont need it.
  • i do believe that offering ADSL 2+ to >90% of homes is worthwhile, and is necessary. Most homes dont need a connection better than ADSL 2+
  • I do agree that hospitals, businesses, etc, will benefit from an improved broadband network, and that improvement is necessary for our services economy to remain competitive

Just to definte a few terms for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTTN

In basic terms:

FTTH - fibre optic network that connects a fibre optic link to each home. Expensive to build. Offers very high speeds, up to 1000Mbs

FTTN - fibre optic network that connects a fibre optic link to each "node", or neighourhood "cabinet". From there each home is connected via a normal copper twisted pair, with a max distance of 1500m. Offers high speeds of up to 26Mbs (ADSL 2+)

BTW, everyone kicksSir Joh in the guts about the bad things that happened under his control and their were several,but do people ever stop and think prior to him Qld was just a backwater and he put Qld
on the world map..imho..

I never liked Joh and fervently wished for his defeat, but as so often proves true, Be careful what you wish for. He ran a low tax state with a free hospital system before the Feds stepped in. There was no cigarette tax, no pokie tax, no petrol tax, he was the first(?) to eliminate death duties, and stamp duties were levied on low value housing. Look what we have now and Cpt Bligh is still selling the household silver.

He beat his criminal perjury case because there was a Young Nats member on the jury and it needed to be unanimous. They didn't retry him because of his age I suppose, and I doubt he was ever stripped of his knighthood.

But yes! He was corrupt.

Sir Terence whatshisname lost his. It would be fair to assume Joh should have lost his too, perhaps he held on to it, I'll stand corrected?

Terence Lewis. He was convicted of accepting bribes? Or something? The only reason Joh didn't go to jail was because of the make up of the jury.

Sir Terrence went to jail.

And he lost his knighthood. Wiki: On 26 March 1993 he was stripped of all honours and titles by a notice in the Queensland Gazette of that date, No. 69, page 1543. Lewis became only the 14th person since the 14th century to be stripped of his knighthood.

Back